1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International Cricket

Discussion in 'general sports' started by planetgeli, Jul 26, 2017.

1. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

...because the cricket threads are a bit parochial.

This thread is for discussion of any international matches - which may or may not involve England.

Let's start with Sri Lanka v India in Galle today, where on day one India are threatening to set a new world record for runs scored in a day. Not that I know what that record is but they are currently 280-2 after 54 overs though Dhawan has just got out for 190.

And it's a good thing Sri Lanka are getting hammered. Because of this.

Galle's covered exterior sparks spectator displeasure

Galle is a lovely ground, surrounded about 2/3 by a road from which spectators have always been able (mostly always anyway) to view the cricket through a fence for free. Sri Lanka is a poor country and the people love their cricket. So the authorities have decided, with bullshit excuses, to erect sponsor hoardings and sheeting to block the view from the road. It's been a tradition to watch cricket from the road with your friends but now SLC have decided they want to be party poopers. I hope they get thrashed.

When I was in Galle in 2014 there was no cricket on but there were still a couple of security guys on the gate. Being used to Lords et al I tentatively asked them if it was alright to have a quick look inside. I was given a guided tour and allowed to take as many pictures as I wanted. When the tour ended they explained their poor wages to me and asked for a tip for the tour. They explained this was the only way to make their wages up to even the most basic standard of affordable living.

I'm guessing the blocking of the view from the road still isn't going to put any extra money in their pockets.

282/2 after 55 overs. Tea.

2. planetgeli

OK, I'll point out they slowed right down after Dhawan fell yesterday and only managed 399/3 in a day. Then sped up again today to manage 600 all out (don't you love round numbers?) off 133 overs at 4.5. Do you think if I say Pandya is better than Stokes that might provoke Stokes into doing something at the Oval? Probably not.

3. planetgeli

Well that worked. :)

4. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

5. planetgeli

6. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Bangladesh have just beaten Australia by 20 runs.

10 wickets (two fifers) to Shakib Hasan. :D

littlebabyjesus and planetgeli like this.
  7. planetgeli

8. planetgeli

David Warner, with Australia chasing 265, makes 112 before falling at 158/3....and still ends up on the losing side.

There is a God.

9. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Best allrounder in the world by a mile, Shakib.

Spymaster likes this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

80 runs as well. I missed that.

11. littlebabyjesus

His test record's phenomenal. Truly test class in both disciplines. It's hard to think of another player you can really say that about, past or present.

Spymaster likes this.
  12. planetgeli

Bangladesh
    [​IMG]

253/6 (90 ov)
    Stumps

[​IMG]
    Australia

I don't reckon there's a lot wrong with that score for Bangladesh. Lyon got 5 (so far) but I think Aus are up against it. They've picked 3 spinners but only Lyon's performed. First time they've opened the bowling with a spinner since 1938 apparently.

13. planetgeli

14. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Ireland (men) get their first test - Pakistan at home next may.

OzT likes this.
  15. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Good on them! And good luck too!

16. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

17. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Dunno. The test thing is kind of already there with the rankings but I guess this simplifies and formalises it a bit. With ODI stuff I'm not sure it's required as you already have a World Cup. That being said if it means that fixtures will be spread out more and not just the same teams playing each other all the time that will be a good thing.

18. littlebabyjesus

Test championship in principle is a decent idea. Devil's in the detail.

Four-day tests are an awful idea. We've just had two five-day thrillers in UAE. And if you think of the most memorable tests here in England each year, they are invariably five-dayers.

You can't get teams to bowl their 90 overs in a day as it is. The idea of asking them to bowl more is shit, and the idea that spectators want an even longer day is dubious - many are leaving already when matches go late as it is.

Worse than that, having tests as four-dayers will change the dynamic of matches that only go four days at the moment. And not for the better. There will be way more times that a team is batting out for a draw, and will achieve it where it may not have done with the prospect of another whole day to come. It's fixing a problem that doesn't exist, and only being done for scheduling reasons, not for cricketing reasons.

kabbes and planetgeli like this.
  19. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Final in England in April? They'd better not make that a 4 day Test.

Four day Tests will only encourage ridiculous batting unless you do something about the over rate. I agree that it's a solution looking for a cricketing problem.

20. planetgeli

I've read the latest article on cricinfo about 4 day tests twice, and I can't make any sense or logical argument for why this is happening save perhaps 'it gives the minnows a chance to lose quicker to the big boys'.

Er...yeah. :confused:

21. littlebabyjesus

They cannot mention the real reason, which is so that they can squeeze test series in more easily between the t20 leagues. So they waffle endlessly about absolutely nothing instead.

This is another of the stupid ideas that that twat Graves supports, btw, so you can expect the ECB to fall in line.

22. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

During one of the recent homes tests (possibly Headingly), I remember an executive of the club saying the club loses money if a test goes into the fifth day. They have to pay for stewards, gate staff, bar staff, security staff etc for the day when the crowd is often very small. From a purely sporting point of view, I'd prefer 5 day tests. From a financial point of view at a time when many clubs are pinched, I can see the merit in 4 days.

23. planetgeli

I used to steward at Lords. I can confidently say this is bollocks. At Lords, at least, the management are so financially aware that they lay off staff at the hint of an unfavourable weather forecast and, crucially, pay people cash in hand in order to beat the taxman. They even give ‘cash only’ announcements out, for final day tickets, on the Channel 5 highlights ffs. It’s that brazen.

As LBJ said, it’s all about the 20/20. It’s just not (not just?) cricket.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  24. planetgeli

25. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Meanwhile NZ has just won their 11th match in a row too. Thrashed the windies and now steam rolling Pakistan. Should be a great triangular series.

26. littlebabyjesus

SA seem to have found another exciting young quick in Ngidi. Close to the point where Steyn could struggle to get back in the team.

27. Reiabuzz

And stokes is back. He’s lucky he’s going to be starting in NZ where presumably the crowds will go a little easier on him than the Aussies, who I expect will be merciless.

28. Reiabuzz

29. littlebabyjesus

I agree. Ball's stopped moving. It's something batsmen are taught never to do, though, isn't it?

Is the keeper who appeals? Pretty shitty to appeal over that.

30. Reiabuzz

He's the keeper/captain yes. Really shitty thing to do. I used to toss the ball back to the bowler when i played. stupid rule that should be canned.