Instant ("polaroid") cameras

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by FridgeMagnet, Nov 13, 2009.

1. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I've recently been thinking of getting another instant camera - I have a Polaroid, but of course they're not making the film any more which is a bit of a git. For some reason, which I'm not going to examine, I really like instant cameras and want one that works.

Is my thought that the only system still being actively produced and sold here is the Fujifilm Instax correct? Are there any other makes about for which I could get film?

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I didn't know there were any instant systems still available.

Can your need not be satisfied by the instant large playback on the back of a digital camera?

3. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

This may warm the cockles of your heart...

Polaroid to bring instant camera back [13th October 2009]

4. FridgeMagnet

No, you can't feel it.

5. FridgeMagnet

Oh right, yes, I vaguely heard something about that. It might not happen though, it's just that somebody bought out the brand iirc.

6. spitfire

spitfire Toast

7. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees Enforced Holiday

my ten yr old instax mini is still going strong, have donated it to my 6yo, get the films in bulk on ebay. it's a hell of a lot of fun but the pictures are small (credit card sized print but image is smaller than that) and aren't going to win any quality awards and not a patch on an sx-70. (although there's a larger range of instax isn't there, with larger rectangular film? i don't know those)

the unsaleable people are going to be up and running with their own polaroid film (presumably old 600 format?) soonish, and i believe polaroid have commissioned them to produce a limited run of polaroid branded film too. imagining prices will be closer to unsaleable than old polaroid though.

what about the larger format peely cameras, fuji were still making films for those (including a lush fast b&w one) last time i looked, which admittedly was a year or so ago. some of those (don't remember model no.s. too late to look them up sorry) cameras are really nice quality, proper glass lenses etc, although they can be unwieldy and are hardly low profile with the belows and all. they're the ones you can use for emulsion lifts and prints too, lots of fun to be had.

and of course there are still stashes of outdated 600 etc. film lurking in fridges all over the place, and some of it may end up on ebay, but you'll mostly be peeling that stuff out of our cold dead hands :p

8. FridgeMagnet

Picture size isn't really a big thing for me. The camera I've ever owned which I got the most fun out of was one of the mini Polaroid i-Zones - those were fantastic. With sticky-backed film! So you could take a picture of your arse and put it on somebody's forehead! And then take a picture of that! Size of a stamp mind you, but eh.

9. quimcunx

quimcunx protestant traybake

Vintage Paw is who you need for this.

She takes some fab pics with instant polaroids.

10. Refused as fuck

Refused as fuck "ethnic pakistani tosser"

Vintage Paw may be beautiful and talented, but... oh, no that;s it. :)

Aren't polaroids and film huge with the hipster twats* now? Or am I so last season?

*If I had typed "cunt" here, would this post have been deleted?

11. idioteque

idioteque mustard tiger

Haha, I think I had one of those. They were horribly small pictures but still fun.

12. quimcunx

Do you want to call VP a cunttwat? Do you? Is that what you are doing? Calling the beautiful and talented VP a cunt twat?

13. FridgeMagnet

<insert obligatory statement about not just being interested in taking pictures of my arse with instant camera, and it's to be used for proper art and that>

14. quimcunx

VP gets special film for an antiqued look.

15. Refused as fuck

:facepalm:

Taking pictures of your arse is preferable, tbh. Unless Vintage Paw(the only person on the photogaphy forum who isn't a cunt or a twat, quimcunx) is doing the photographing, in which case everything she sees is art, including your hairy arse.

16. quimcunx

17. FridgeMagnet

That was the disclaimer. Though I've seen my arse and I'm not going to be taking that many pictures of it in general, it's not that interesting and doesn't change a lot.

I actually have very little idea why I want to get hold of an instant camera; it's the same instinct that makes me buy notebooks and space pens when I have perfectly functioning laptops.

18. quimcunx

I'm off to see which instant camera I've got.

19. quimcunx

Fujiyama instax 100

with one exposure left.

Shall I take a picture of my arse?

20. Refused as fuck

I try to see the beauty in everything. :hmm:

21. quimcunx

No you don't! You don't even try a little bit.

22. Refused as fuck

I try harder than most. As a result my pictures are usually quite dull.

23. FridgeMagnet

I just bought an Instax Mini 10 on eBay. I went for another search and not only is Instax film about all you can buy, there are practically no shops selling Instax cameras in the UK at all; it's all second-hand and there aren't a huge number of them. The Fujifilm official UK web shop doesn't sell them; Lomography is selling them new at some ridiculous price but they're probably specially imported.

In contrast there seem to be loads of people in Hong Kong and Korea selling the things, and all sorts of accessories and limited-edition cameras and so on are being made quite happily for the Asian market. Well there you go eh.

This thread should be in "cameras and camera gear" really shouldn't it? Bloody urbanites can never put anything in the right bloody forum :mad:

Pickman's model likes this.
  24. quimcunx

24 hour ban, i reckon.

25. FridgeMagnet

I'm just making extra work for the long-suffering mods :mad:

26. quimcunx

Well done! they deserve no better.

27. Refused as fuck

Stay on topic, FridgeMagnet, or you'll be summarily executed.

28. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

For the record, if I took a picture of my arse it would most definitely be art.

29. FridgeMagnet

I sign all the pictures of my arse I take.

30. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare