Installing a cat flap into a window - suggestions please!

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by editor, Jul 13, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I to install a cat flap in a kitchen window so that Ziggy can get out when I'm away. Any suggestions? Any good choices?

2. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

BEFORE fitting it might be worth while getting Ziggy used to going through it - get a cardboard box and "fix" the cat flap to that(?)

We're currently on cat flap 3(?) and each and every of them end up being taped open as at least one cat won't push the damn thing open

stavros, hegley, editor and 1 other person like this.
  3. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Best move to the ground floor first.

upload_2018-7-13_14-49-10.png

4. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

If it's a double glazing unit you'll need to get a glazier to make one of the same dimensions with the catflap built in.

nogojones likes this.
  5. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

It depends on the window, whether it's double-glazed or not, if it's toughened glass or not, etc.

Not something I would attempt to do myself under any circumstances, I learnt from my early failed DIY attempts, it ends up costing me more to get my fuck-ups corrected then if I had got someone in to do it in first place. :oops:

6. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

I tried it on a single-glazed toughened pane. It does not work :D

Picking up 9 million tiny cubes of glass killed a bit of time though.

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Easier just to cut him his own key IMO

8. cupid_stunt

Did you fuck-up the window?

ETA: keybored - Just spotted your edit, you did. :D

9. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Just posted a recommendation on the tradesman thread. We had one put in on the double glazed glass on patio door. Not cheap tbf but did a good job.

trashpony, Miss-Shelf and Badgers like this.
  10. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

serveimage.jpg

Edit: Fucking edits!

a_chap, izz and cupid_stunt like this.
  11. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I would hazard a guess that if you're in a flat with a balcony, other cats aren't likely to cause a problem. You could therefore just get a flap that isn't operated either by a collar tag or a microchip.

These are a lot easier for cats to operate.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  12. Mrs D

Mrs D also misses e

Bats on the other hand...

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  13. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

Also be wary of squirrels who may enter your flat and stash rocks everywhere.

14. cupid_stunt

Or welcome them, nick their rocks, and sell them on.

editor likes this.
  15. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I don't know about double glazing, but for single glazing, you'd normally have to get a new piece of toughened glass cut to size with the hole in it, and fitted into the frame. Fitting the cat flap would just be a question of slotting it in. I don't think it would be a simple task to cut the existing window.

16. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Yep. That’s what they did for mine.

17. pug

pug Well-Known Member

Removing/replacing a double glazed pane is easy, you remove the rubber strip by pulling it then unclip the beads by pushing them and the pane comes out. depends if you need the light or view or not but you could fit the catflap to a suitably sized piece of plywood and then insert that where the pane goes.

spanglechick likes this.
  18. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

I had mine fitted too. If there is any danger of other cats coming in, I recommend a Sureflap door which operates by memorising your cat's microchip.

19. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

If this is at your place, doesn't the kitchen window just lead onto the balcony? Is it a good idea to give him unsupervised access to the balcony when you're away? Cats do fall off balconies.

20. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

No problem

Puddy_Tat and cupid_stunt like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He's been roaming free on the balcony for months and months. He loves sitting on it and watching the world go by and it's just about impossible to stop him leaping up and wandering five doors down.... If he does fall, there is another balcony below so it's not a sheer drop.