1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspirational guitarists.

Discussion in 'music making & live music' started by xenon, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

You muppet!!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Twas the late great Dickie Hammond who strummed on Leatherface's wondrous output. Frankie did the growling! :p

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

xenon, I know nothing about the guitar, but I just love Jimi Hendrix ..

3. petee

petee i'm spartacus

a downtown veteran, I've seen him a number of times, with zorn and them.

amongst rockers, very personal choices, leslie west (from my youth) and craig scanlon (from my adulthood).

4. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Rnady Rhoads:

starfish2000 and Chilli.s like this.
  5. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

The two most inspirational guitarists I can think of are Bill Harkleroad and Jeff Cotton. They may not have been the best but they learnt how to play the songs on Trout Mask Replica. I think of them practicing till they dropped half starved.

6. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Jeff Healey. Not because he was blind, but because he played better blind than most seeing guitarists:

existentialist and Chilli.s like this.
  7. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

Oo I need to catch up with this thread.

I've been listening to this sorta thing lately.

8. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

Er. No I can't play it. I don't like learning things note by note anyway. Too lazy and well, not that good

9. starfish2000

starfish2000 Well-Known Member

My theee Primary influences on guitar are Alex Lifeson, Andy Summers & John McGeoch. I like rock stuff but I like textures and big interesting chords. My next theee would be Nile Rodgers, Nick McCabe and Django Reinhardt.

I think playing fast gets this unnecessary bad rep. When it's done well as part of a dynamic piece it's amazing. Also no one is telling violinists to avoid being a virtuoso. So never quite got this anger towards guitar players. It always struck me as a journalism led thing in the 90's.

Chilli.s likes this.
  10. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Robert Fripp, Randy California , John Martyn.

11. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

Fret wank is tedious. But yeah, nothing wrong with playing fast, lead or intricate rhythm persay. Like the stuff above, fast melodic dynamic playing.

I'm reading a book about 90's metal ATM. How the old bands saw record sails drop in the face of grunge, new styles, audiences. No solo's let's play sloppy downtuned guitar, Nu Metal. How those that survived came out of it, adapted, the overdue death of hair metal.

There's loads of good diverse stuff around now.

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

John McKay from early Siouxsie and the Banshees recordings. Lovely use of dissonance while retaining tunefulness.
    Barney Summer's Joy Division output - minimalist. Just enough there to fill out the sound, no showmanship or flash.
    Fast Eddie Clark - his Motorhead stuff is - IMO - brilliant. Straightforward hard rock boogie married to the aggression of a Viking berserker.

13. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Totally agree about Fast Eddie. Hugely underrated.

14. existentialist

existentialist ...and the horse you rode in on.

I've been learning the guitar parts for Hotel California over the last couple of weeks, and it has given me a new respect for both Don Felder (who seems like a bit of a cunt, personally), and Joe Walsh (who doesn't).

What I hadn't realised until I was well underway with the learning was that I was somehow going to have to do the work of both of them :D.

I'm also rather impressed with Slash's oeuvre.

15. existentialist

existentialist ...and the horse you rode in on.

*cough*

As a viola player (who plays violin), nobody has to tell me not to be a virtuoso. Shaddap, you at the back, ViolentPanda :D

16. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Eddie Hazel, Funkadelic

Chilli.s likes this.