Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inspector Sands at Paddington station

cupid_stunt

Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.
Good on the Mirror to disclose what the Inspector Sands message means, oh hang on a minute...

The Inspector Sands message exists so that we can get staff prepared to carry out certain safety related activities but without causing unnecessary alarm for customers – therefore it would fundamentally undermine its risk control purpose to disclose the detail of our policies on the use of the message and would cause potential panic and undue concern.
:facepalm: :D

farmerbarleymow

Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull
One thing that I've always found interesting is that the Inspector Sands announcement seems always to be in a male voice, and much louder than the normal PA. The reason for the loudness is obvious, but I wonder if the choice of a male voice is due to psychology of how male/female voices are perceived?

aqua

made of cheese and gin
One thing that I've always found interesting is that the Inspector Sands announcement seems always to be in a male voice, and much louder than the normal PA. The reason for the loudness is obvious, but I wonder if the choice of a male voice is due to psychology of how male/female voices are perceived?
Apparently so. We have a 2 tone fire alarm. The first warning is a female voice, she says something is happening prepare to evacuate. The get out now voice is male. Apparently we take instruction better from a man. I don't know what evidence there is for that but that's the explanation security gave me.

A380

How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?
I only found out the other day that BTP nicked thus from the west end. Apparently theatres used to announce fires by the SM asking Mr Sands to go to the location as they used to have fire buckets full of sand rather than water.

Every day’s a school day.

pseudonarcissus

fluttering and dancing
I only found out the other day that BTP nicked thus from the west end. Apparently theatres used to announce fires by the SM asking Mr Sands to go to the location as they used to have fire buckets full of sand rather than water.

Every day’s a school day.
Buckets full of sand and stubbed out fags. ;)