Inside a New York book store - the gun magazine section

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by editor, Sep 8, 2012.

1. 8ball

8ball Can be a bit of a git sometimes

This dude's got a pink bow and clearly doesn't give a fuck.

[​IMG]

2. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

He's using olympic-style gear. They use girly-ass stabilizers. You'd think for the $5K+ it takes for that gear he'd choose a better color than pink.

Greebo likes this.
  3. 8ball

He's got a gold one too. But I think he prefers the pink.

4. Yuwipi Woman

The brief time I shot that style, I borrowed an emerald green one. It was just too rich for my blood.

Greebo likes this.
  5. 8ball

At least he aint one of those compound bow pussies...

6. Yuwipi Woman

Amen. :D

Might as well use a gun.

(I shoot traditional.)

7. 8ball

Is that where you use a recurve with no sight and look down the arrow?

8. Yuwipi Woman

Yep. I have a 55 lb recurve and a 45 longbow, neither of which is pink. The arrows are wood and fletched with real feathers, again, not pink. :)

9. 8ball

Never had a go with a longbow. I have no doubt I'd be shit - used to shoot recurve with a sight.

10. Yuwipi Woman

That's cool. I think you could probably shoot longbow. It's just a matter of practice, like anything else.

11. 8ball

Bizarrely, I think my problem would be knowing where to point it, even though when I was in the zone shooting recurve I'd often put the arrow straight in the gold with the sight way off target.

Takes a while of knowing where to point it before I can do that, though.

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  12. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Funnily enough I am reading this in Las Vegas airport and yes, there are. Not actually in the airport (though there are slots here). The one I went to seemed mostly aimed at the gamer crowd rather than the black helicopter crew (who presumably have their own guns anyway) - there were packages called "gamer" and "pwnage", the front staff are all young women in Lara Croft type outfits, and the custom targets they offer are pictures of terrorists and zombies. The one of bin laden was presumably a terrorist zombie.

I recommend the tommy gun personally, the modern weapons are all a bit clinical and efficient. There was one old guy who came to use a huge old WW2 Browning belt fed machinegun.

Meltingpot and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  13. Yuwipi Woman

Arn't tommy guns notorious for jamming?

14. 8ball

Definitely the older the better.

Once you've stoved someone's head in with a hand axe you'll never want to go back.

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  15. Yuwipi Woman

If you can do that, you can do it without the sight.

16. FridgeMagnet

I think it's just the drum magazine that jams a lot, which this one wasn't using.

The SAW that some people tried jammed about a dozen times and had to be taken away to be stripped down and fixed.

17. FridgeMagnet

Yeah, but you don't need to go to Vegas to do that, you can just go down to B&Q.

18. 8ball

It's getting to that point without the sight that I'm not sure I could do.

19. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Erm, can I have directions? PM if you prefer.

;)

20. Yuwipi Woman

Stick tape over it for a while and see how you feel.

21. 8ball

It's been years since I shot a bow at all. Probably totally forgotten by now.

Still pretty accurate with the hand axe, though. ;)

22. Yuwipi Woman

Remind me not to piss you off. :D

23. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

This 'normalisation of killing devices' guff is nonsense. Knives kill lots of people and we put racks of them on the kitchen wall where children can see them.

No use pretending that shooting isn't a lot of fun and that guns are not fascinating. Shooting at targets is excellent sport. You may have seen people doing it in the Olympics the other day. If I had a couple of hundred acres I'd buy half a dozen guns, including a long range sniper rifle. I had a go with a Glock and a couple of rifles in the US not so long ago and it was very entertaining. I grew up in a house with a pond in the garden and would be chucking light bulbs and beer cans in nearly every day so I could sink them with my air rifle. Everyone who ever came to our house loved to have a go. Just because you enjoy shooting (and I defy you not to if you try it) doesn't mean you like to kill living things. The important thing is to keep guns locked up and never get them out unless you're going to get well away from other people and do some target shooting or kill something to eat.

And remember: guns don't kill people. People with mustaches kill people.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  24. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

People with mullets, too.

I've no interest in owning a gun in the city: if I lived in the country or on a farm, it would be a different story.

25. Cornetto

Cornetto yesh

I would love to work to walk with a side arm and an AK-47, then do a lecture, "so fuckers, who's done the pre lecture reading"... Good Times!

Greebo likes this.
  26. Yuwipi Woman

Get a wolf dog. One of my English profs brought one to class every day.

Greebo likes this.
  27. petee

petee i'm spartacus

my h.s. art teacher did that

28. Yuwipi Woman

It's always the liberal arts profs. :D

Meltingpot likes this.
  29. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I got invited to Nebraska next year - one of the main selling points was some shooting range where you can blast away at old cars and trucks with military grade weaponry. i think it's out Scottsbluff way. I like that corner of the state.

30. Yuwipi Woman

Coolness! Are you going to take them up on it?