Question Initiative Q

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by girasol, Oct 24, 2018.

1. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

Has anyone else received an invite to join Initiative Q? I received one yesterday and I thought it was intriguing, but really I have very little knowledge of how this could work. I don't even see how it could work, but then again I missed a good opportunity with Bitcoin :/

Reading this I'm baffled, maybe people in the know can clarify?
    Initiative Q

My current task is "Invite people you know personally and secure an additional 51,602"

So, a pyramid scheme? (this isn't spam, I'm genuinely wondering if this is worth doing)

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The FT seems to think it's a pyramid scheme:

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/10...Ki3fKynppgmpPmsLnd0xOvxhaaVUIUgHjhEOGeF9nzHZY

girasol likes this.
  3. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

I've got an invite link here if anyone wants a go, all it wants from you at the moment is you name and email.

4. Everyone is on about it, which means it’s probably at the bottom of the pyramid.

girasol likes this.
  5. ricbake

ricbake working out how

When ever you hear about a pyramid scheme you will be at the bottom of it.
    +
    +++
    +++++

girasol and Magnus McGinty like this.
  6. Yes, of course, but I mean you won’t be the one getting the riches.

7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

No one is getting any riches. Where are the riches coming from?

Imagine the day they're launched:

Millions of people all get thousands of $1-worth tokens from InitQ. They go to the shop to spend them, and the shopkeep says, "I don't accept Q tokens as I need to pay my bills in pounds - who will I exchange the Q tokens with to get £s?"

What is your answer?

8. So why are everyone signing up for it like lemmings then unless they believe they’ll earn some coin out of it?
    (The bumpf mentioned $110,000 iirc which I’m sure someone might get but not these late adopters)

9. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

They are the children of people who fell for Amway

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  10. My dad explained all of this to me when I almost fell for Amway when I was young and daft; sat me down and showed me the maths.

Dan U likes this.
  11. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Sounds like a wise man!

12. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

It is a pyramid scheme, just like Bitcoin. Life is a just one massive pyramid scheme.

girasol likes this.
  13. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

FOMO, see Bitcoin (I mean, I signed up for that very reason, all I had to give them was my spam email address).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  14. Bitcoin is an investment in a currency, which means you can make or lose money the same as any financial investment.
    This is a pyramid scheme which isn’t asking for any investment (yet). Fuck knows how people will make money from it although I’m not an economics geek. I’m not going to spend a few moments making someone else rich though. I may use the service if it takes off and is better value and/or less hassle than PayPal.

15. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Fez909 likes this.
  16. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

The most valuable part of the Q business model appears to be a handy network of folk who are willing to sign up for a simple money-for-nothing idea and all their connections who will do the same.
    No assurances about data privacy necessary. Why would the entrepreneur not cash in and sell the database in a year rather than go to the bother of actually creating a parallel currency?

chainsawjob and FridgeMagnet like this.
  17. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

You could have cleaned up :rolleyes:

18. Badaboom tish.

On a related note he worked in the chemical industry and tested their detergent in a lab. He reckoned that their product was top notch and superior to anything in the consumer market. The problem was that most consumers won’t shell out a tenner for a big volume of the best detergent when they can get one they’ve seen on telly in ASDA for fifty pence.

19. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I came across this guy's post (the older one) the other day when my mate sent me an invite for this InitQ thing.

Very good analysis, and asks all the right questions. Someone involved in InitQ even replies in the comments and admits they have no product, at all.

It's like creating a mass political party with no explicit aims. Let's call it the Democratic Liberal Party :)

"If we just build a big enough movement, we can effect real change!"
    "What changes do we want?"
    "That doesn't matter for now...just concentrate on building the party!"

mango5 likes this.