Informer - BBC drama

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Spymaster, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

We struggled through the first episode of this and watched the second on iPlayer tonight.

There's something about it that annoys me. The way it's written perhaps. It's slow as fuck and seems stuck up its own arse trying to be too trendy. The acting's ok but the writing seems amateurish and too try-hard.

Anyone think it's good?

2. passenger

passenger up and down...

I like it, as you say loves its self, there is going to be so much of this stuff in the pipeline
    hopefully for the good ,this should be a winner so good so far for me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  3. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

Yes. It's not bad at all. Or far better than the Bodyguard (you should work out who's responsible for the attack after episode 2. Or was it 3?). And if a little slow, it's not the slowest and I think all the pieces fit and the story does move along. There's occasional moments of scenic indulgence. I think it gets over itself once you know who is who. Or maybe forget how annoying it is to work out what's going on at the beginning? I stuck with it and would gently recommend it.

Spymaster likes this.
  4. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

I'm up to ep 4 and really enjoying it.

Badgers likes this.
  5. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Yeah, not bad Tuesday night fodder in the supine household :thumbs:

6. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I'm really enjoying it (seen up to episode 3). Interesting storyline, good acting and great camerawork.

On a mundane note, I noticed some of it was filmed in my area - noticed the Rivoli Ballroom and Crofton Park Co-op! Cue minor argument between me and Antelope as to whether the petrol station (the scene in which the Paddy Considine character bumps into the northern guy from his past) was the one further up Brockley Road. :oops:

not-bono-ever likes this.
  7. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

I’ve enjoyed it - so far - despite a few clunk moments. It is of course preposterous but as others have said positively social realism compared to The Bodyguard

However, given the return of Paddy Considine’s ‘previous life’ to proceedings I’ve got a feeling that this could get very very stupid. I’ll be watching to see...

8. Mrs Miggins

I really enjoyed the dialogue. I don't actually know kids who talk like that but it felt pretty authentic to me and i loved the actor playing Dadir.

Badgers likes this.
  9. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

I like it too. Yes it's absurd, but I've been gripped, on the edge of my duvet stuff :D

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  10. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

I think it's unusual and original and quite strikingly arty/ahead of the times in some ways. Only up to s3 but I am really enjoying the escalating levels & configurations of paranoia and exploitation - who's using who, who knows and isn't telling who what, etc. Definitely more creative than Bodyguard. However - and it hurts me to type this as I am usually a big fan - it's not a great performance from Paddy Considine... not helped by some clunky, obvious lines in the script, but it felt to me as if he wasn't even trying to make some of them sound spontaneous and un-staged / not like they were written for him by a screenwriter to Signpost Big Themes Ahead.

oryx likes this.
  11. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

I binged watched the whole series in one night on catch up. :D

cupid_stunt, PippinTook and Supine like this.
  12. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Don't blame you! Just watched episode 4 and it gets better and better.

The BBC have been putting on some excellent stuff recently - haven't seen threads about them, but I'd really recommend Press (the story of two young journalists, one at a tabloid, one at a liberal broadsheet) and Black Earth Rising (ostensibly about catching up with war criminals after the Rwandan genocide, but a lot more than that).

Calamity1971 likes this.
  13. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

Based on recommendations here, I binged watched the first 4 episodes yesterday, and I am looking forward to the rest later today.

14. Smokeandsteam

At the risk of appearing to be from the dark ages are you saying that you can watch the entire series online before they are on the tele?

15. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Burn the witch!

Calamity1971 and cupid_stunt like this.
  16. Smokeandsteam

Thanks. Is that a yes then? :D

17. cupid_stunt

All 6 episodes have already been transmitted, the last on 16th Oct.

18. Smokeandsteam

Was it?? It's on my TV every Tuesday at 9.00 on BBC1.

19. cupid_stunt

I had looked on iPlayer & it said episode 6 went out on 16th Oct., but looking again, it shows all 6 episodes went out on that date, very odd. :hmm:

But, yeah, they're all currently available in iPlayer.

20. Smokeandsteam

I never think to look at iPlayer. I will check it tonight. Cheers mate

cupid_stunt likes this.
  21. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

fucking hell

just finished it. not sure what to think

22. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

lots of SE15 as well

Badgers and oryx like this.
  23. Smokeandsteam

Blimey, that iPlayer is good eh cupid_stunt! Seriously, thanks for heads up. I’ve now binged through to episode 6 which I’m saving for later!

I suspect I know how this ends but will wait to see.

One thing that struck me however was this - why would anyone bother to watch tv normally these days if you just watch the lot in one go via on demand.

24. cupid_stunt

I've watched it all now, it just seemed to get better with each episode, I really enjoyed it.

This is the first time I am aware of a whole series going up on iPlayer before transmission, I've not noticed it before when I've watched-up anything else on catch-up, it normally shows the date of the next episode's transmission, with a message saying it will be available soon after on iPlayer.

This is what it says on the site:

So, not sure why Informer was available in this way. :hmm:

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  25. Mrs Miggins

They did it with Killing Eve too. I think it's a new thing/experiment

26. cupid_stunt

I wish I had known that, I've been recording Killing Eve & resisting watching it until I've got the lot, but the last one is on tonight anyway. :facepalm:

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  27. Mrs Miggins

Haha! The whole series has been on iPlayer since the first ep was broadcast :D

Badgers and cupid_stunt like this.
  28. cupid_stunt

TBH I hardly ever use the iPlayer, I don't watch much TV, and normally just set to record anything that I think could be interesting, then binge watch it at some point.

Somehow I had missed Informer until seeing this thread, and because I've been ill this week, I've been watching a lot of TV, so it was a total accident finding it all on there.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  29. Smokeandsteam

So have I. Patiently series linking away when you can in fact watch the whole series on demand.

I’ve got no idea why this is a ‘a thing’ but it must destroy the ratings for a programme? :hmm:

30. Mrs Miggins

They have to accept that watching scheduled TV is dying out. I never watch it now and I'm sure the young'uns don't even know what it is! I guess they are experimenting with how many watch the scheduled broadcasts vs how many watch on the iPlayer.

I'm buying a new TV soon and people are asking me about what kind of aerial I have but it doesn't matter. All I need is an internet connection.

Badgers, Chilli.s and cupid_stunt like this.