Indyref 2

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by weepiper, Mar 13, 2017.

1. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

You don't think danny's threads and posts about misogyny, racism, leaving, michelle, were shitting on your chances then?

Just me calling him out, yeah? That's damaging?

I can't challenge someone on why they support indy? You're not paying attention, are you. ;)

Not done yet, are we?

2. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

Cult behaviour. Wings is an idiot and I'd still maybe vote independence. It would be in spite of much of indy activism rather than because of it.

3. Sunset Tree

Probably less likely because the tone of the movement doesn't fill me with hope that independent Scotland would be naturally more left wing or progressive and shows even civic nationalism brings out these toxic impulses in people. It's put me more off the idea of nationalism in general.

4. DexterTCN

What...you mean apart from all the changes? child-care, prescriptions, education, old-people care, public transport, free education, free prescriptions, baby boxes, no bedroom tax, renewable energy, fracking ban, less racism (cough danny) less violence, less hate-crime, less rape, less murder, higher convictions, best NHS, best education system...

You not like that tone? Got a problem that it's not left-wing enough?

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I think you may be the problem. Your smeary insistence that you and only you are what independence is and that all others are fake scots liars or traitors. It's frightening.

6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Raddled old poet

This is you doing again what you just said you weren't doing.

If somebody has a criticism of a member of the pro indy movement, or a section of the pro indy movement, that means they are against free prescription charges. It's all or nothing. That's what people find chilling and cult-like.

7. Sunset Tree

I can't enthusiastically engage in a movement composed of people behaving like you. You seem mental but your behaviour is pretty ordinary for the Indy movement. As I said, it exemplifies some toxic impulses and I find it off-putting. If I can't criticise wings without being the enemy then I'm the enemy. I'm ok with that.

8. DexterTCN

Well I think you've all talked enough shite now and it's quite obvious where you're coming from.

I'll let you get back to...seething.

9. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

The arbiter af all things pro Indy indeed.

danny la rouge likes this.
  10. Sunset Tree

Lol where am I coming from? I voted yes in 2014.

11. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Liar. Obv. Maybe a spy.

Sunset Tree likes this.
  12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Your links to what DLR wrote (I read them) don't prove what you are trying to claim - they disprove them.

This latest exchange has lead me to moving you from 'seems a bit of a nutter' to 'nutter' category.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  13. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I would say that Dexter is definitely no true independence supporter.

14. DexterTCN

15. danny la rouge

Indeed. They aren’t generalised claims. One was someone else’s opinion (someone, incidentally, who has moved from a worried No in 2014 to a Yes since Johnson became PM), and the other was about a particular storm Wings kicked up, and the (predictable) response of certain twitter users to it. But our bold hero doesn’t do refinement of meaning.

I note he also has failed to provide the post which he claims I made saying that I’d leave Scotland if it became independent. Because, no doubt, if I did say it, there was a context that makes a difference to my meaning.

The interesting thing here is the exclusivity and the extreme ‘democratic centralism’. You can’t criticise anything or anyone in the independence movement. To do so makes you not real Indy. This has the effect of shrinking ‘the 45’ to an ever smaller minority, instead of growing it to the majority. So it’s the opposite attitude of what’s required in order to win what he says he wants.

Sunset Tree and cupid_stunt like this.
  16. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I think the point were Dexter could be engaged constructively has passed (and passed some time ago).

He was always far too enamoured of my enemies enemy if my friend politics but his recent behaviour - wishing rape on female characters, insisting that those who believe Assange should face the accusation made against him are hoping that he raped someone, the smears that people are racist, that they aren't 'real' supporters of independence etc.

I've got into slanging matches with him to try and pull him up on some of this bullshit but I now think it just does not work. Instead I propose that while we make clear to readers/lurkers we oppose his bullshit we don't bother addressing him directly. Like with Jazzz he's passed the point of no return and now the only answer is to make it clear that we don't welcome the prick.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  17. danny la rouge

Probably wise advice.

18. Sunset Tree

Here we observe the effects of twitter and nationalism on the human mind

19. Sunset Tree

There's a couple of guys I grew up with who got really into Indy activism in the build up to 2014. I never heard any progressive politics from these guys before or since. I felt their reeling off of social justice points were really just utilised in support of their actual goal: nationalism. They were fundamentally driven by how nationalism made them feel.

After they instantly descended into conspiracy about votes being manipulated and vitriol towards those who had 'bottled it'. They certainly never continued to push for progressive politics in any other context.

It's gone even more off the rails since then because most ordinary people accepted it and moved on.

20. danny la rouge

Anyway, back to the point of the thread:

Sturgeon says indyref2 'must happen next year'

"A second referendum on Scottish independence "must happen next year", Nicola Sturgeon has told the SNP conference.

Ms Sturgeon confirmed that she will ask the UK government for formal consent by the end of this year."

21. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Interesting change of word they've chosen to use there, given further down their own article they quote what she actually said, which is 'demand'.

geminisnake and danny la rouge like this.
  22. danny la rouge

Well spotted. That’s one of those ‘slips’ that tells you more than intended about the slipper, isn’t it.

23. DexterTCN

24. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.