Indyref 2

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by weepiper, Mar 13, 2017.

1. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

It's on. Between Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019, to be decided by the Scottish parliament. BRING IT.

2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Twitter is exploding.

Brilliant news, not entirely unexpected. Let's see how dirty they get this time.

pogofish and Poi E like this.
  3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

Well last time the financial prophecies of doom were prominent were they not? You'll sink without the Union and sink hard was one of the messages. But with the Union seemingly tied to exiting europe and receiving similar prophecies of doom all over the shop, thats not going to wash is it? Recon its going to be the biggest factor argued over anyway.

Manter likes this.
  4. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Now is just about the right time to call for a second ref, in fact Sturgeon would have missed the moment if she hadn't done. Same time, she must be concerned that the opinion polls are not showing a majority for independence. She also has the problem that, from memory, a fair % of the SNP's own voters backed brexit.

Sorry if this sounds negative - I'd vote for indie if I lived in Scotland - I'm really just a bit unclear whether she really thinks she can win this or whether she's been backed into a corner, 'having to' call it now

5. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Where is the poll? I demand a poll...

6. 2hats

2hats

Finally the meaning of ‘independence' in “UK Independence Party” becomes clear. :p

Bernie Gunther and Poi E like this.
  7. Wilf

Probably the biggest chance of winning a 2nd ref is if May refuses to allow it and then Sturgeon goes ahead and calls it anyway. Though.... even that could backfire. Maybe just because I don't live in Scotland I'm struggling to guess how this will play out. Certainly going to have a very different dynamic to the first ref.

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. gosub

gosub ~#

Um no. All Scottish Parliament can do is ask Westminster for permission

9. DexterTCN

What can the yoons say this time? Everything they said last time was a lie. Or a smear.

10. Ranbay

My money is on yes.

11. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Direct rule imposed, troops on the streets :thumbs:

Wilf likes this.
  12. DexterTCN

Most indys are ready to have a UDI, WM saying no has no effect at all. (apart from convincing some more people to tell it to fuck off)

13. Wilf

If indie 2 goes ahead, presumably the EU will have a major role to play, making clear the kind of deal Scotland could get and how long it would take to negotiate. Noises coming from Brussels have not been very encouraging so far, iirc.

14. DexterTCN

I better call a taxi for Sasaferrato he's not going to be happy.

taxi.jpg

15. DexterTCN

16. Ranbay

I can see people smuggling import tax free cheese and wine down from Scotland in van runs at midnight... could be cool.

17. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I'm going to move to Scotland if it gets independence and stays part of the EU. I'll apply for Scottish citizenship too.

marty21 and pogofish like this.
  18. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

doesn't it need to be approved to take place by westminster? What are the constitutional processes here?

19. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I would expect the EU to use it as a tactic to complicate rUKs hand

Manter and Wilf like this.
  20. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

21. DexterTCN

They can't say no, basically. It's a constitutional right.

If they do we can just unilaterally declare independence (UDI)

This time there won't be any fucking about by Europe, they'll be totally on our side to give WM the finger.

ska invita likes this.
  22. Wilf

Yes:
    Scottish independence: why a second vote is back on the table
    Though May's calculation on whether to allow it will be political rather than constitutional. Last thing she needs as the details of post brexit trade deals are worked out is Scotland leaving (even if there's electoral advantages, creating a near permanent tory majority in Westminster) - but then again, refusing to allow it probably boosts indie sentiments. Lose-lose scenario. :thumbs:

ska invita likes this.
  23. DexterTCN

Currency speculators should bet on the £ dropping again btw.

24. gosub

gosub ~#

If they were canny, they would be more interested in the noises coming out of Oslo

25. TruXta

TruXta tired

What noises would they be?

Wilf likes this.
  26. gosub

gosub ~#

That the UK is probably too large to join EFTA without destabilising it, and they find Westminster too right wing for their tastes. But Scotland can't join EFTA whilst part of the UK.

Rest of EFTA seemed OK with UK membership

27. DexterTCN

BBC News currently acting as Tory Central Office Communications Dept.

28. DexterTCN

BBC - 'voters are very angry about another referendum' :rolleyes:

29. TruXta

TruXta tired

Sounds about right. I thought this was going to be another "Norway wants a union with Scotland".

30. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Interesting times. Very pleased for Scotland, fucking gutted for Wales, but we've got to build a positive politics here of our own.

muscovyduck, pogofish, Poi E and 2 others like this.