1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indymedia Bristol raided by plod, servers accessed!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Mr.Bishie, Aug 28, 2014.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

not that i would do that but ain't he got an 'expensive brief' that can get him off all sorts?

e2a enough derailing from me

2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Maybe I would yes, and I wouldn't want cocks like you riding in to save the day either

3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

'maybe' :rolleyes:
    not trying to save the day just shocked at your fucking childish post and wanted to tell you i thought you were off with it and being a dick

4. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Ok no worries. You're probably right.

5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Yeah, it is a bit deja vu.

Still, not that two-bob twat of a wanna-be film-maker to blame, this time!

6. bmd

bmd you left me standing here

:D

Try not to feel too cut up about it though.

(((23dom)))

twentythreedom likes this.
  7. ViolentPanda

Whereas you're stll ploughing the same old furrow, and dropping a trail of bullshit behind you. :D

8. ViolentPanda

Why would the Old Bill raid servers at New Scotland Yard? ;)

Citizen66 likes this.
  9. quiquaquo

quiquaquo Well-Known Member

UK Threat Level just raised to severe apparently. Couldn't make this shit up, will be martial law next with shower we have in government.

10. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Get the tanks on the streets around Heathrow, thats the proper way to hype the shit out of it.

Sirena and elbows like this.
  11. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Not sure what that has to do with indymedia's servers being seized. :D

12. quiquaquo

quiquaquo Well-Known Member

All part of the horrendous terror threat we all face ;-)

Citizen66 likes this.
  13. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I've not seen any reports that they have continuing access to the server. But I wouldn't bet on them not having it.

They now have a number of corporate network IPs in the logs... and these being corporate media networks they'll have a very interesting time if they follow up on them :)

14. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I can see this sort of thing ending up with plod chasing undercover plod from other units/counties. There have been precedents for this. Was the guy who didn't disable IP logging on their books?

15. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I remember the FBI siezing the servers in 2004, I was so outraged I wrote to my MP :facepalm: who passed it on to the minister responsible and heard nothing back.They then tried to deny the FBI was in attendance in spite of witnesses.I think it was something to do with a French Indymedia posting pics of Swiss undercover policemen.The server company was located in Texas but the actual servers in the UK,hence suited and booted agents ordering Brit plod about.I think they took several countries Indymedia sites down including some in South America.

16. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Easier to assume that whoever was managing their server was not a linux guru, and didn't know about the sort of logging that apache web server might do by default. Or didn't have comprehensive knowledge of the CMS being used.

Not that I even know if the FUD about IP addresses was even true, although it wouldn't surprise me. Its not like this server was some dedicated physical machine that had been lovingly assembled and maintained, looks very much to me like it was the typical '15 quid a month virtual machine'. And the fact the whole site wasn't quickly rebuilt on another VM from scratch/uncompromised backups, and that their statement mentions rebuilding the entire server as if it were some huge and complex task that was unlikely to happen, tends to suggest that they were not exactly overburdened by copious IT resources.

17. anarchoboziers

18. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Not sure what all this means, but if I recall correctly the previous Bristol Indymedia debacle involved a physical server being seized, because Mark Watson told police in whose house it was located.

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  19. DaveCinzano

20. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Urban aint what it used to be :(

21. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Plod close down a legitimate activist website because some dude set fire to some stuff.

Logical :rolleyes:

22. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Guadalajara won't do now!

I am getting as paranoid as Henry Hill.

23. Harry Hill?

Sprocket. likes this.
  24. DaveCinzano

Well, when ‘Informal Anarchists’ are being chased by incompetent cops, whose new buildings are being burned down by ‘Informal Anarchists’, and who's the biggest dick is unclear, there's only one way to find out

Spanky Longhorn and Fozzie Bear like this.
  25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The plod haven't closed it down though. As per some previous posts I made, it seems like the burden of running it and dealing with comments/manifestos/claims of responsibility already took its toll some months before the police took info from the server.

Meanwhile I note some further claims of responsibility for a fresh Bristol arson attack were posted to the open news feed of the main indymedia uk site in recent days.

26. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

If they're so keen on getting websites closed down, why don't they release their warnings on st*rmfr*nt or the daily mail comments section?

27. DaveCinzano

There are more links on the current situation via promoted Indymedia UK promoted story.

See also nothing-new versions of the story in the local press, including the Bristol Post and Bristol 24-7.

28. DaveCinzano

And just in case anyone hadn't actually read the Times story, here's the money shot once more:

A copy of the production order, marked restricted but seen by The Times, authorises officers to seize “special procedure” journalistic material. It demands access to the details of administrators and bill-payers, login credentials, information on those who posted articles and the IP addresses of everyone who visited the site over an unspecified period.