incommunities housing sending me debt letters

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by robert1958, Oct 8, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

hi.
    i changed from job seekers to universal credit in November,as i had a bad accident, im 62 and receive full housing benefit and also pay bedroom tax,
    i had to borrow the 5 weeks rent when changing over to uc, i also pay the rent short fall (bedroom tax) every month out of my universal credit, so after all this i have done to keep my flat, they have started sending me debt letters for £160 yet the rent is being paid in full,and i pay the bedroom tax every month and have save the receipts, when i ring i get know where fobbed off saying i have to pay or face eviction, where are they getting this i owe £160 from,

Argonia likes this.
  2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Difficult to know without looking at a rent statement, check the rent statement, check that you are receiving the correct UC payments (are the UC payments paid direct to you or to the HA?) . The bedroom tax is shite, can you ask about downsizing to a smaller place ? They might have a financial incentive for you to move to a 1 bed.

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Does that 160 add up as a neat multiple of the Bedroom Tax or your weekly rent ?

I'm wondering if one or more payments have gone astray, or has an amount changed at sometime.

4. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

just been on phone again for half an hour ,they say universal credit as missed two payments in june, and just to carry on paying my shortfall as normal,even though ill be in debt,and probably keep getting these letters, whats gets me is two weeks rent is £190

5. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

they said if any 1 bedroom accommodation in my area comes up they will ring me,

marty21 likes this.
  6. marty21

Is there a service charge which isn't covered by HB/UC ? usually a heating charge or water rates .

7. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

service is in with rent and covered,its for general cleaning of the flats.

8. 8115

8115 Macaroni straws.

If universal credit missed 2 payments do you need to get into them?

muscovyduck likes this.
  9. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

i thought it would be up to them,to sort universal credit out,as it gets paid direct to them.

10. marty21

You have better access to the info - so can speed the process up by contacting UC .

Badgers and muscovyduck like this.
  11. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

Without meaning to sound harsh/abrupt: It’s not down to your landlord to sort out Universal Credit payment errors (or any other errors that may arise) on your behalf.

You have a liability for rent with your landlord and the Department for Work and Pensions administers an entitlement to you for the purpose of assistance with your rent.

Universal Credit is paid monthly, you need to look at your rent statement and identify where the missing payments are and then query this with the Department for Work and Pensions via your online journal.

I would recommend visiting Search for your local Citizens Advice and typing in your post code to find your nearest Citizen’s Advice Bureau as they’ll be able to assist you with locating the missing payments and helping you query this.

muscovyduck likes this.
  12. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

the rent is paid weekly to incommunities so they told me ,hence 2 weeks missing, direct from universal credit, ive just explained it in my universal credit online journal.

13. marty21

If you can't get UC to cough up, come to a repayment arrangement with the HA , offer a couple of quid a week until the arrears are cleared.

Badgers likes this.
  14. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

what out of my £48 a week i left after paying the loan i had to get for the three weeks rent when changing to uc.

15. robert1958

robert1958 New Member

just found the rent statement,when looking through its all up to date,every week as been paid in full.

16. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Might be an idea to make some copies, send one to HA and get an appointment with CAB