1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In special measures: Manchester United 16/17

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, Jun 8, 2016.

1. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Christ, talk about chucking your toys out of the pram. Grow up fgs.

Wilf, Spymaster and Badgers like this.
  2. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Anderlecht then.

3. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

It's a relatively weak competition and Utd would be unfortunate not to win it. Celta and Lyon are the most attractive teams from what I have seen and Lyon in particular had a really good win over the two legs against Roma. Mourinho dismissed any merit Chelsea winning this competition when he took over from Benitez but times have changed for both him and Man Utd and I think he would see it as would a welcome trophy and some sort of benchmark for his first year.

BCBlues likes this.
  4. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Yep, it really would be progress for united to win or get to the final of the Europa league. Top 4 is still possible though, without looking, I imagine they have to play most of the other top teams in the next few weeks. All the talk of 'enemies' was ridiculous, but the injuries, fixtures and suspensions are mounting. Mourhino's problem is he can't prioritise Europa or Prem as routes into the CL next year, has to fight on both fronts. Admittedly, a problem most teams would love to have, bit it does put them at a disadvantage vis a vis the 5 teams above.

BCBlues likes this.
  5. The39thStep

Easiest route to the CL is the Europa even though it means playing in the qualifiers which also applies to fourth place. CL qualification is a positive in recruiting players which Mourinho will demand.

6. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

You mean apart from this thread?

7. The39thStep

As Mourinho observed

Badgers and imposs1904 like this.
  8. Eggby

Eggby Well-Known Member

Our Portuguese Man 0'Draws needs to work out how to get United scoring again, the team is looking pretty toothless without a certain ancient Swede...

Badgers likes this.
  9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

But you were shit. Let's be honest.

Anyway, another draw this week, another embarrassment of a post match interview from José. Chelsea had all the talent out of that man. Do you think he has any left?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Badgers likes this.
  10. Joe Reilly

Jose is slammed for not showing the journalist "respect". Giving the appearance of not having even bothered to watch the game prior to zoning in immediately afterwards with some inanity is however, for the game, the manager, and the profession, simply the epitome of respect?

Utd are definitely getting there. Anyone who actually watches Utd can see that.

Meanwhile Guardiola demanded Premiership refs have a 'crisis summit' to sort out what is going on. While video refereeing cancelled and awarded (correctly) goals in the Spain v France match in midweek. Bring in video refs and there is no need for a summit. Clearly the way forward.

Badgers likes this.
  11. Joe Reilly

If you had been paying proper attention you would know that (at home) Utd have also looked pretty toothless with a certain ancient Swede...as well as being seriously unlucky - hitting bar and post more than any other side - and on more than one occasion conjuring up MOM displays from the away keeper. It is nevertheless a department that needs fixing.

Badgers likes this.
  12. Joe Reilly

To return to a twin theme: perfectly good goal egregiously chalked off by linesman. Rather bizarrely, when Ibra being interviewed later, actually asked about the veracity of the decision the commentator still described it as "marginal". Nuts. Oh yeah, hit the bar twice as well.

13. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

:D

tommers likes this.
  14. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

So, those other offside goals your team were awarded should be now cancelled? :eek: :D

15. Joe Reilly

Yes, and I'd go further. All the games are judged retrospectively after the end of the season. And when the pluses and minuses (dodgy pens, dodgy off-sides, etc) are added up, the real champions (not just the table-toppers) are revealed. It would all be shown live of course. Just imagine the ratings!!!
    That, or take the more mundane route and work harder to prevent the reality of little more than guess work deciding fixtures in the first place.

16. TruXta

TruXta Tired

I bet you're the life and soul of any party :p

Dandred and Badgers like this.
  17. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

Just dipped into this thread and there appears to be a Man Utd fan moaning about referee decisions. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Brilliant.

SpookyFrank, Dandred and Badgers like this.
  18. Joe Reilly

'fgs'...:)

19. The39thStep

It's often said like dog owners and their pets that supporters resemble their football team .

Dandred and Badgers like this.
  20. TruXta

TruXta Tired

:hmm: I'm not sure I want to pursue that line of reasoning.

Badgers likes this.
  21. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Well, another underwhelming performance. And wtf has happened to Martial?

22. The39thStep

Tbf an away draw and an away goal isn't that bad a result. Utd will win at Old Trafford.

23. Joe Reilly

Can't remember when I enjoyed a performance as much. Maybe 8-2 against Arsenal? Anyway it was vintage. Fast, inventive, aggressive, with every man determined to win the individual battle. Utd haven't played like that for years. And not just talking here about post Fergie either...this throwback went considerably farther than that. Stand out performer Herrera obviously. But a mention in dispatches for Bailly/Rojo/Fellani/Pogba. Rashford superb. All heart. The contrast with Hazard/Costa was striking. Mourinho might just have been right about them along.

ska invita, chilango and passenger like this.
  24. chilango

chilango When we wake up it'll be Spring,..

What is it now? 22 games in a row unbeaten in the league?

That's something.

25. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

I'm assuming united's strikers have been affected by the uncertainty around the general election. :(

Badgers likes this.
  26. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Rojo out all season and Ibra for 9 months +
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic facing up to a year out with suspected anterior and posterior cruciate ligament ruptures
    Getting a bit threadbare at the back then. Feel sorry for Ibra, particularly if they cut him loose at the end of his contract. He's a prick, but an amusing one, this is no way to end his career (in top level football at least, there would still be the opportunity to amble around in America). Of course they might keep him, particularly as 9 months would have him coming back around xmas.

He'll know the situation better than me, but I don't like Mourhino's talk about Jones and Smalling needing to be brave and take a 'risk'. Even if ultimately it's a genuine medical decision as to when they come back, it's out of order to start building pressure on them now.

27. chilango

I hope we see Zlatan in a Utd shirt again. Even if (especially if) it's only tail end of next season ti boost a title run in :)

Eggby and Badgers like this.
  28. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Yeah, looked like he was on course to, possibly, get the most goals in a season since the Ronaldo days (I just looked, Rooney got 34 in 2009-10. Zlatan's stuck on 28).

Badgers likes this.
  29. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

So, that Liverpool-Palace result means united go 3rd if they beat citeh by 2 goals (if the table I've just looked at was updated). Still, a very difficult run in, playing every 3/4 days, often against the top teams - with a crocked squad. Could still end up 5th.:hmm:

Badgers likes this.
  30. chilango

...with a game left in hand too :)

Big, big derby match.

Wilf likes this.