1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In special measures: Manchester United 16/17

Discussion in 'football' started by chilango, Jun 8, 2016.

1. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

It will follow the trend under the Mourinho/ Woodward junta about how United legends are treated .Giggs forced to leave by the back door and now Rooney after breaking Uniteds scoring record left in the margins and edged out to China.

2. chilango

chilango rdgXhc

Rooney isnt a "legend" in my eyes.

3. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Yep, though we'll have to hope Micky and Carrick are not out too long. For all his banging on about city playing under 21s, I did think he was a bit reckless starting with his best players. Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't, I admit, but he might regret that.

4. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

My issue with Rooney isn't really about him, it's the managers who have picked him through some very lean spells. I don't particularly like him after all the flouncing, to get more money, but you have to admit he's kept on doing it, for a very long time. It's not that managers bought into the 'white Pele' nonsense, but they have reinforced his undroppable status, leading to all sorts of contortions in the team and the way it plays (utd and England). Mourhino ain't no genius, or if he is he's a quixotic genius (treatment of Micky and Carrick early on - maybe Shaw too, don't know I haven't seen him play). But he has done the right thing over Rooney - no drama, just a slow unannounced demotion. Probably picked him for a couple of games too many, but that was probably Mourhino not quite sure of his power base.

5. chilango

chilango rdgXhc

Never forgave Rooney after his first contract shenanigans.

Wilf likes this.
  6. chilango

chilango rdgXhc

Well Rooney has just released a statement saying he's staying. So? I guess no one was willing to meet his wage demands:(

Wilf likes this.
  7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'm no fan of Mourinho but full credit to him for his rather nice tribute to Ranieri today, complete with the initials CR painted on his tracksuit top as he gave his weekly pre-match press conference.

8. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

9. happie chappie

happie chappie Well-Known Member

Didn't deserve to win that. Zlatan apart we were very ordinary. Great atmosphere outside The Torch as usual and down to the ground. Plenty of this ditty:

Crap inside - outsung by Southampton ffs.

Badgers and Eggby like this.
  10. The39thStep

The linesman was Uniteds best player

11. Eggby

Eggby Well-Known Member

Nah not really, Ibrahimovic scored two goals and the linesman only disallowed one, he has to 'up his game' to be considered Utd's best player...anyway Mourinho has got United's winning mentality back I'm happy to say, Southampton were unlucky no doubt

12. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Pogba vs Bournemouth:

[​IMG]

Wilf likes this.
  13. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

... and tonight :(

14. The39thStep

Made the Barca/PSG game look dull

agricola, Wilf and Badgers like this.
  15. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

With one eye on the Chelsea game, is there a (slightly perverse) argument that Ibra is 'part of the problem' for United? Certainly an odd thing to say about someone with 20 odd goals and some very good goals, but he has had a lot of chances (without looking, I think he's scored them at a lower % of conversions than other top scorers in the Prem). He's somehow won us lots of games but also been the reason chances have gone begging and meant we haven't won games? Rashford has gone off the boil certainly, but needs a - cliche alert - run of games to get back to it? Without Ibra they'd have a different type of attacking threat?

16. chilango

chilango rdgXhc

I'm reading a bit of that, and I'm reminded of Ruud. We were over-reliant on him and much more potent when he left.

I don't know if that's true with Zlatan though.

He may be on his way at the end of the season regardless.

Wilf likes this.
  17. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Hmmm.. bit soft that 2nd yellow. :hmm: Herrera's a snippy little git, but it certainly wasn't a self contained booking.

18. The39thStep

Thought United were appalling , six at the back and kick Hazard was the sole master tactic from Mourinho. The second yellow was soft but the referee had already warned United about continued fouls and Herrera obviously thought the warning didn't apply to him.if it hadn't been him there was a queue of Jones , Pogba and Roja whose stamp on Hazard hopefully will be reviewed. Young could have gone for studs up , feet off the ground tackle .
    Can't make sense of Mourinhos tactics tbh apart from his obsession with trying to repeat his Inter Milan CL Final success . With Uniteds squads strength they could and should have made a far better fist of it . They took their best player off and put on Fellani and in the end they made a Tony Pullis team look more attractive .

19. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

I sort of agree about the booking. It was certainly soft, but had this been Leeds in the 1970s I'd have said 'just book the next fucker'. Can't complain really. Agree 100% about taking Micky off, even if he hadn't done much to that point. Only thing about the tactics was they did give it a go before the booking and were the better team for 20 minutes. Chelsea were beginning to get it together for perhaps the 10 minutes before the sending off. But yes, I'd have preferred to go down fighting, even if it had ended up 4 - 0 again.

The39thStep likes this.
  20. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

Where was Herrera meant to go when Hazard ran into him? He did brace up a bit in anticipating impact but didn't make any discernible move toward him to block him off. So in what sense is that a foul never mind a yellow? For Herrera's second foul (in the game) as he is actually pulling out the contact is minimal. So from now on can we expect every player who commits two 'soft fouls' to be red-carded? Or is it only to certain teams in certain situations that these standards apply? Naturally the antics of the Chelsea players (including Hazard btw)who repeatedly went to floor seeking some sort of official retribution were ignored.
    Overall this one-eyed jobsworth approach to decisions is ruining the game (not just last night) but generally. For reference see Barcelona against PSG.

21. TruXta

TruXta Tired

Ref had a bad game, Rojo should have been sent off too.

Badgers and The39thStep like this.
  22. handy1

handy1 A certain Man U fan ; )

Any comment on Luis' studs against Fellainis knee?

23. The39thStep

Grasping at straws springs to mind.

24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Is your manager José Mourinho, by any chance!!! :D

You lot were awful and you know it.

Badgers likes this.
  25. Wilf

Wilf 8% Beach Ready

Not really. The game followed an entirely predictable path after the sending off - they actually defended reasonably well. It just happens that the decision to send him off was justified - just - assuming there's such a thing as 'persistent fouling by a team'.

26. handy1

handy1 A certain Man U fan ; )

As does tunnel vision.

27. The39thStep

Mourinhos 'game plan' of six at the back and kick Hazard came unstuck when the referee ironically did the very thing that Mourinho frequently urged in 2015 ie protect Hazards safety from persistent fouling. Actually Uniteds serial assault on Hazard pretty much stopped after the sending off aside from the cowardly stamp on him near the end.

28. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Not only United as Arsenal West Ham and others have tried kicking Hazard out of the game.

United got sussed as this was a big Cup Tie live on mainstream TV. People could see what The39thStep has stated that Josés plan was to defend and hope for penalties but to do this stop Hazard at all costs.
    He forgot to tell his new boys, Pogba included, that Kante is also dynamite.

29. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

It was, as Ruud Gullit remarked, a high quality encounter prior to the sending off. The real point is that the game-changing red card was unwarranted. That Martin Keown, Alan Shearer, Gary Lineker and Frank Lampard largely saw no real problem with it simply compounds the problem. If the precedent established here - that a player can be sent off for the tamest of tackles - because a colleague of his had transgressed a moment previously, would probably be found to be not even legal if it was challenged.

Lineker is his usual smug way said it was 'stupid' of Herrera to attempt to tackle Hazard because the referee had just spoken to Jones and Smalling. Had Herrera been warned? No. Was the referee's comments communicated to him? No. Yet off he had to go anyway according to the pundits.

Far wilder tackles/diving went entirely unpunished thereafter.

On wider level the game is now too fast for officials. There are also under too much pressure. From the second guessing media but also from their employers. A common sense decision can nonetheless be struck down by the ref's employers because it didn't follow whatever the agreed protocol is that week. The ref can then be relegated. Isn't that what happened after the Barcelona game?

If the ref can't be expected to get all the big decisions right, because the interpretation of the laws has become too subjective, then its time to take all the game-changing decisions out of the hands of the officials on the pitch all together.

handy1 likes this.
  30. The39thStep

Do United have a lot of enemies ?

Wilf likes this.