In redundancy consultation

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Mumbles274, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

2. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Sorry to hear that Mumbles274 pm me if you'd prefer to talk in private.

3. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Thanks equationgirl bit too done in right now but thanks for offer x

equationgirl likes this.
  4. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

(((Mumbles))) x

Mumbles274 likes this.
  5. equationgirl

No worries, just know you're not alone. Look after yourself.

Mumbles274 likes this.
  6. Mumbles274

Suit: £230
    Shoes: £50
    Watch: £50
    Coat: £95
    Interview being changed to a phone interview because of the snow but getting the job anyway!!!!!: Priceless

Voley, Hellsbells, StoneRoad and 23 others like this.
  7. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Great news! I'd keep it dark though in case they try any jiggery pockery with your redundancy pay...

Mumbles274 likes this.
  8. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

:D

are you going to manage to stay with current place long enough to get redundancy pay, or is new place wanting you to start sooner?

Mumbles274 likes this.
  9. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

That's fantastic, there is no obligation for you to say anything to your current employer so just take the money and leave gracefully.

lamb1979, brixtonblade and Mumbles274 like this.
  10. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

So pleased for you. :)

Mumbles274 likes this.
  11. Mumbles274

They want me asap. Going to stay quiet and push for them to get rid of me :D

If not will use 'time off to look for work' rules and will be able to start i hope :thumbs:

Voley, Sue and cupid_stunt like this.
  12. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Once you've had your third interview and signed on the dotted line then it's legally binding and they can't change their mind or mess you about, so you could tell them then you have a new job waiting for you.
    You can ask them about the date, It's not in their interests or yours to make you sit and stare blankly at the wall for your notice period.

Mumbles274 likes this.
  13. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Congrats, but as already muted, tread carefully with start dates and revealing too much. If they haven't asked about notice period, give something daft like 3 months, which wouldn't be uncommon for the amount of time you've worked at your current place. Get that redundancy money and walk straight into new job and happy days.

14. Mumbles274

They've made an offer of pay in lieu of notice as well as redundancy so hoping that if vol redundancy gets accepted i can get things moving asap

Voley, muscovyduck, Mogden and 5 others like this.
  15. iona

iona toxic clown

Mumbles274 likes this.
  16. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

That's a good sign, pay in lieu of notice generally means that your contract specifies a reasonable period so they will probably offer you a choice of 3 months pay (unfortunately taxable) in hand providing you go forewith or "gardening leave" where you sit at home for 3 months still being paid. If that's the case go for the first and you might very well be out by the end of March at latest, If you have holidays available to take rather than let them buy them out you could take them at the end of your notice and get out a bit earlier.

Mumbles274 and cupid_stunt like this.
  17. lamb1979

lamb1979 Well-Known Member

This makes me happy :) finally out if that toxic environment... onwards and upwards.. ❤❤❤

Voley, Mogden, weltweit and 1 other person like this.
  18. equationgirl

Nice one Mumbles274 I suspect they'll want you off the books as soon as possible (as it suits their purposes) so will pay up.

:)

19. Mumbles274

Feel like i missed out wearing my new suit.. So put it on for fun :cool:

DSC_0745.JPG

20. equationgirl

Great suit!

cupid_stunt and Mumbles274 like this.
  21. any non compete clauses? I had one I thought was unenforceable but was advised it likely was- had to go cap in hand to the old company and ask them not to get on my case as i wasnt technically competing, just got an unrelated role at one of their clients

22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Worn out for the celebratory drinks too, shurely? Well done, mate.

23. equationgirl

As it is a redundancy situation it would be pretty shitty of them to invoke any non-compete clause.

Winot likes this.
  24. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Can't remember the full details as it was a long time ago, but when I lost my job due to the company I was working for going into receivership, I didn't get my contractual notice paid because I found a new (short-term contract) job within my notice period.

This was the government scheme and really pissed me off as i'd just lost my job, didn't get my full pay (it was just before pay day and we got the statutory amount rather than what we were owed) and then that. (Other money owed -- for holiday pay iirc -- was paid years later due to legal stuff and then at 6p in the pound.)

25. Yep but it happened to me. I did get more than stat though.

26. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I don't think they can even if there is one, Making someone redundant they're effectively declaring the job is no longer necessary, no tribunal is going to believe that someone can then be banned from doing an unnecessary job.
    Besides non-compete clauses are very rare even in the private sector and since based on what mumbles has said about his job, I guess he works in the public sector.

27. Mumbles274

Yeah, pretty sure they don't have one

equationgirl likes this.
  28. they can enforce it privately and i know of a couple of people who have had issues with this, dependent on the industry of course- as incongruent as it seems.i ran my fuck off agreement past my brief and he advised that it isnt unheard of. Public Services are not as tight on this , otherwise we would not have seen the mass exodus of council employees into property development eg Southwark Council and the elephant programme for eg.. needs to be case by case basis and how wide ranging the non compete is worded. anyway, doesnt seem to be one so thats great mumbles

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  29. equationgirl

Actually they're not that rare in the private sector. Non-compete clauses are commonly used where people have access to client or customer information, such as lawyers, recruitment consultants or sales roles. But they must be properly constructed to be useful or enforceable.

They pop up in case law from time to time, and there have been a few threads on here about them over the years.

30. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

People leaving the council to work in property development wouldn't be competition since nothing actually competes against the council or the wasters in Parliament, the greatest irony is that this is the one thing that really does need to be stopped.