In redundancy consultation

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Mumbles274, Feb 16, 2018.

1. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Shame you have to wait until after the weekend, I personally hate waiting for any sort of important meeting.

2. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Shouldn't make any difference you are entitled to the same amount of money whether it is compulsory or voluntary, and while I admit that I am not current on benefit rules, I still think compulsory will get you benefits paid quicker (if anyone knows better please feel free to correct me)
    I think it will probably look better on looking on for another job as well, When the interviewer asks why you left your previous job you may have to explain voluntary, if it was compulsory you can just say "Budget Cuts", there are so many redundancies these days no one will question that.
    Best of luck with your interview but if you are really unhappy there then it might turn out to be for the best anyway.

lamb1979 likes this.
  3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Sometimes voluntary is offered more money!

4. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

That's my understanding.. Apparently compulsory would be statutory only and that's not going to be good for me at all :(

5. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Best of luck mumbles xx

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:(

as i said earlier, there is no legal requirement to offer voluntary redundancy, nor (if it is offered) to pay enhanced redundancy deals.

is there an existing policy on redundancy / redundancy pay? or established custom and practice?

if there is and they are trying to change the rules, that could be dodgy, as existing policy or practice could legally be part of your contract.

7. Mumbles274

Word has it they have paid well before

yardbird likes this.
  8. Puddy_Tat

:hmm:

anything on paper?

is union pursuing this?

9. Mumbles274

No, and not sure at this point.

10. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

That sounds to me like someone is trying to pull a fast one and pressure you to go to save them the trouble of going through the legal process, you need to take advice from your union about this.
    An employer does not have to offer voluntary (though most do) and can go straight to compulsory but what you're saying stinks, you definitely need to speak to someone in the union, a full-time branch official if your local rep is not sure what to do.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I've never personally heard of that being the case, I've seen loads go on either and usually volunteers get a bit better deal such as picking a date, being allowed to hang onto company assets such as a car or phone for a short while wilst they sort out a replacement but never more money.
    It wouldn't surprise me if some of the more 'cunty' employers might try that on but I'd be surprised if it is totally legit, in places where there is at least some union recognition they tend to at least make some effort to do it properly.

12. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

It’s pretty common for voluntary to be worth more money. It was certainly the case when I was a civil servant and my husband doesn’t think that’s changed since I left.

13. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

It was a pretty nice package when I applied for it. Much better than statutory. Shame however they refused my application to go as I was needed. :(

14. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Good luck, I'm going through the same process at the moment (200+ people getting fired moved to Glasgow)

Do your best, and don't panic. It'll be fine, keep looking for work and going for interviews to get yourself back in the habit, take notes and its ok to say no and just go for the interview to get your confidence up and working again. You should hopefully get something out of your current place so don't be afraid to take em for as much as possible and dial back your efforts towards the buggers.

Hope your union helps as well, they should be grand.

15. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Was it a case of voluntary only? or were they actually asking for volunteers and saying more money if you volunteer now but there will be compulsory if not enough of you do volunteer, but we will give you less money?
    As for the OP's case, it is bang out of order if they telling him that volunteers can have more money but he can't volunteer and will have to be chucked out.
    He needs to keep banging on the union's door about this and take someone along to any meetings with him, that is a right no-one can refuse him.

16. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Ha. I'm in Glasgow and in consultation. :rolleyes:

Employers don't always do a voluntary round. Mine are doing compulsory redundancies at present. Some people offered to go because it suits them to, but it's not really saved anyone's job in all honesty. The union is supportive of the members, but not everyone is a member.

17. Mumbles274

My union will have a rep at my one to one.. Hoping to make it a quick and painless exit with a nice payoff to be honest. Had enough now!

I applied for a job last week and have an interview next Thursday for a Trainee High Intensity therapist and will keep applying for any other roles I see too

18. Mumbles274

This is my understanding and what union have said too

19. Puddy_Tat

i hope that there isn't a Senior High Intensity Therapist grade...

20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

Yeh when I got made redundant I got extra money for not sabotaging the workplace before I left

21. Mumbles274

Had my one to one yesterday. Was a joke. They had my length of service wrong so didn't have accurate vol red figure. I got that emailed today. Its based on stat only so just under £15k.

Fuck all for 17 years career but fuck it, time to move on. Until those Tory cunts lose power there wont be a change in social care policy so services like this will slowly be killed off. It's the clients i feel for, if i was on a script in this country id have a very squeaky bum, but sadly those that need our help most no longer meet the targets and 'client profile' that workers can manage in a system that is designed to only help nice easy service users that probably don't really need our help anyway!! The real problematic users are all dropping out and dropping dead coz workers find them hard work against a backdrop of bullshit outcomes and micromanagent performance monitoring

Fingers crossed they agree to my redundancy request. If not ill prob get fuck all money and offered a job in a prison i don't want. Fuck banging up people for being drug users. Amen

Voley, muscovyduck, Riklet and 4 others like this.
  22. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

good luck mumbles. it is a shock to the system after so long but it will do you good by the sounds of things.

Mumbles274 likes this.
  23. Mumbles274

Im gutted. I love my work. Dedicated 17 years to opiate users and done my level best to make sure they have as good a chance to be as good as they want to be.. If people want to use and stay safe on a script, fine by me. Im an old school harm reductionist through and through, maybe one or 2 of those left in my area.. Lets hope it comes back round before its too late.l

24. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Good luck Mumbles, I hope you wangle a better job soon. I m in this shit process right now as TFL has officially NO MONEY.

25. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

The maximum you can get on statutory for 17 years is just over £12K and you'd have to be 58 at least so unless they've given you something like 6 months notice pay as well you've done better than that.
    No consolation for losing your job of course but enough to live on for a few months at least, make sure you sign on as soon as you finish. You've paid your taxes and it's your money, you're entitled to it.
    They don't seem to bother putting people on the forced labour scheme until they've been unemployed for some time, so you'll be safe from that for a while since there are plenty of others whose lives they can make difficult before they get round to you.
    good luck with finding another job and if you find one soon then you will still have your money as well.

Puddy_Tat and cupid_stunt like this.
  26. Mumbles274

Suit: £230
    Shoes: £50
    Watch: £50
    Coat: £95
    Interview being changed to a phone interview because of snow: Priceless

A380, Voley, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  27. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

28. Mumbles274

It's kinda how my week is going. Don't even want to say how bad my day was and what happened

29. Mumbles274

In summary. MH getting v bad

30. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.