1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In an emergency, you'll regret buying an iPhone...

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by EastEnder, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:55 AM.

1. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Apple refuses to enable iPhone emergency settings that could save countless lives

In their typically conceited & arrogant manner, Apple haven't even deigned to explain why they're not enabling AML.

If you're planning on being in an accident any time soon, get a life saving Android. :thumbs:

cupid_stunt likes this.
  2. I switched to iPhone when a Samsung I had kept switching itself off, flash the Samsung logo incessantly and only sort itself of its own volition. I couldn't show travel tickets on one occasion let alone use it to save my life.

3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I'm not sure one faulty handset makes an entire operating system duff

4. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

You can add mine to that, so we're up to two :thumbs:

Grace Johnson and Magnus McGinty like this.
  5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

This is the best phone ever.

Attached Files:

6. blairsh

blairsh Parts unknown

7. Happened to my colleague's one too. So that's 100% of all people surveyed experienced that problem. :D

wiskey likes this.
  8. Oh, and...

Three.

9. EastEnder

I had a Samsung that never experienced such issues: -1

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The reason Apple haven't enabled it is because it'll make one of their own, and arguably better, features redundant. Apple Watch already has the Emergency SOS feature which does the same thing but also provides health data (height, weight, blood group, medical conditions, etc) to first responders, as well as giving the wearers location and calling emergency contacts (don't know if this includes the emergency services yet). It'll only be a matter of time before they link it in to AML.

Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch's new 'Emergency SOS' call feature could save your life

pengaleng likes this.
  11. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Handle with care.

Ditto - 1

12. Was it a Galaxy s3?

13. EastEnder

Will this benefit all iPhone owners, or just those who've shelled out for iWatches?

It should be noted that Google didn't make the AML stuff a marketing tactic, they just enabled it on all compatible devices, I doubt many of those who'll benefit from it will even be aware it's there.

14. The iWatch basically utilises the phone's os. It can't exist on the watch without existing on the phone it's paired to afaik.

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It's only on the watch at the moment, afaik

It's certainly not on my iPhone.

16. EastEnder

I will pray that no hideous calamity befalls you in the near future. :thumbs:

Spymaster likes this.
  17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

18. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I've had Samsung phones for years without any problems at all

19. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

i already regret buying an iphone, and all my other apple things, but am trapped now in the cult of the shiny apple and can't find a way out. :(

20. EastEnder

And you can't even rely on a sophisticated integrated mobile emergency location service to assist in your escape...:(

bemused likes this.
  21. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I used an iPhone 4 for a while when I broke my Android Sony, it was horrible! I was so pleased to get back to normality.

We've had lots of samsungs without issues

cupid_stunt and EastEnder like this.
  22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I was once pulled out of the frozen Severn by a Samsung and it gave me the kiss of life.

23. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Surely this technology will be redundant later this year

[​IMG]

moon likes this.
  24. abe11825

abe11825 Like to take a cement fix

There's an option somewhere in the iPhone settings to be able to change your current location (address). But you have to be the one to do it; it doesn't automatically change it for you. "It's there for an emergency" and allows first responders to reach you properly (so I was told). However, what good is it, if you don't constantly change it to your travels? To be fair, when the salesman said to me when I got the 6S, "make sure you keep the address updated so if you have an emergency, medics can get to you", I thought that was the oddest thing in the world. I thought this being a "smart phone", the GPS / location services on the phone would automatically pick up where I'm standing. If the map knows I'm in a very specific block of condo units in my housing complex, shouldn't EMS find me?

There used to be a rumour that if your mobile was from out of city or state (different area code) and you needed to call emergency services, they'd try to track you down based on the area code calling in, not geolocation. I don't know how true that is, as I haven't researched it. I heard it a little over 5 years ago.

I don't know how much longer I'll stay on the Apple bandwagon, although I picked up an Apple branded bluetooth keyboard the other day for cheap (for doing work on my mobile).

25. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

it's not been a problem before...

26. EastEnder

Well it would only become a problem if you're involved in some sort of calamity, at which point it would be a problem.