1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improved London Hopper Fares: unlimited bus & tram trips within one hour of touching in

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by xsunnysuex, Jan 31, 2018.

1. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Might interest London peeps. :D:thumbs:

Improved Hopper fare

Improved Hopper fare

Unlimited bus and tram journeys in one hour for the price of one.

Make a journey using pay as you go (contactless or Oyster) on a bus or tram, and you can now make unlimited bus and tram journeys for free within one hour of first touching in.

Touch in using the same card on all the bus and tram journeys you make and the free fares will be applied automatically.

Hopper fares apply to all pay as you go journeys.

You can now travel on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line, River Bus or National Rail services between Hopper journeys, and Hopper fares will still apply.

Hopper fares will not apply if your Oyster card has a negative pay as you go balance after the first journey. If you clear the negative balance within one hour of touching in, subsequent journeys made within the hour will still be free.

Maggot likes this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i go on a train and tube to work and think that costs 4.50+ one way, then tube train back taking it to jsut shy of a tenner :mad:

can anyone tell what it might cost now?

3. xsunnysuex

Shouldn't affect what you pay now?
    This is regarding bus and tram journeys.

4. ska invita

thats what confused me...but i get it now

Im not sure how this is different from the previous hopper..now including trams is it?

5. xsunnysuex

It always did include trams. It was two buses within an hour. Now it's unlimited buses or trams. And also now you can use bus train and bus. And if it's within the hour the train journey doesn't break it.

ska invita likes this.
  6. ska invita

thanks

xsunnysuex likes this.
  7. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Presumably, the train bit isn’t included in the £1.50 charge.

It’s a decent and fair thing to do anyway. I always have to take two buses to get to central London from my house (or walk ages to where I can get one bus from). This is an obvious improvement on that.

The only issue I have is that sometimes it takes more than an hour to get from my start point on the number 10 (Russell Square) to my connecting bus in Hammersmith because it has to go through terrible traffic, so I’ve often had to pay £3 for a one-way journey. I’d have liked if there was some kind of mechanism to nominate a chosen route which counts as one journey.

8. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Fab.

There *will* be YouTube videos of transit geeks trying to get a record for max swaps in the hour. :D

xsunnysuex likes this.
  9. xsunnysuex

With London traffic I wouldn't expect many journeys. Not if your actually travelling. But it's good all the same.

10. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

God I just spent 10 minutes thinking about this. I reckon if the traffic was right I could do 9 or 10 :D

11. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Does this only apply if you use an Oyster card or will it cap the fares if you use a debit card?

12. xsunnysuex

Yes it works on debit cards also.

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  13. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Both. But it won't work if you have a negative balance on your Oyster.

ShiftyBagLady likes this.