I'm looking for a cheap hotel somewhere near the tube.

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Sasaferrato, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Grateful for what I have.

I'm planning a trip to London later in the year to go round the museums and galleries.

It'll just be me, Mrs Sas isn't that fond. I will come down overnight by bus, and be staying three nights in London.

I'm looking for a cheap hotel that is near to the underground. By cheap, I mean less than £100.00 a night. Not fussed about breakfast.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Sass, most parts of London have an underground station. For three nights I'd say you'd be better looking on airbnb and not staying in central London.

dessiato likes this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

How far out are you prepared to stay?

Have you tried airbnb? Might give a better option than a hotel per se.

5. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Which underground? Everywhere in zones one and two is close to the underground.

dessiato likes this.
  6. xenon

xenon Sweep and cut

Near to the underground. I'm not sure, there might be one or two hotels "near the tube."

:D

Travel Lodge in Waterloo, not far from the Impirial War Museum, Kensington Tube, Tate Modern etc.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Try the McCreadie Hotel in Forest Gate. A short walk from a handy overground station and some great reviews online:

8. Sasaferrato

Any distance really, out to Zone 4 say.

9. Sasaferrato

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  10. Sasaferrato

Thanks... maybe not though. :eek::D

tim and cupid_stunt like this.
  11. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Premier Inn in Brixton. 2 minutes walk to the tube.

ETA if you’re coming by coach it’s under 20 mins from Victoria to the hotel with no changes.

12. Sasaferrato

Looking at the Zones, Zone 4 inwards is fine.

The bus comes in to Victoria.

13. Sasaferrato

That sounds excellent.

I know that there are cheaper accommodation options than a hotel, but I would rather know what I'm going to before I arrive, if that makes sense. :)

colacubes likes this.
  14. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

Go for a Premier Inn. Cheap and reliable.

Badgers likes this.
  15. editor

editor Forked with electrons

And you can often get deals if booking in advance.

16. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

How long does that take?

Badgers likes this.
  17. Sasaferrato

About ten hours, give or take. Overnight though, so I will sleep most of the way.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  18. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

Have a look at Safestay Holland Park. A short walk from the tube. I stayed in a private room with a friend and the whole room was only £45. Clean, quiet and pleasant. Dorms much cheaper.

19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

may do better heading towards SE London - it doesn't have the underground, but has plenty of proper trains - a lot of the stations in the general direction of blackheath / greenwich have trains every 10 minutes to central london (mainly charing cross or london bridge (change for charing cross) / cannon street, but some do have direct trains to victoria as well) - and as they don't stop as often, a journey from (say) zone 4 to central london is a lot quicker by real train than a similar distance by underground.

having mum-tat in SE London, i've never stayed in any so can't offer direct recommendations. from what i gather, there's plenty of places in london that work on the basis there's so many tourists passing through london that they don't care a great deal about repeat business...

or as ex services, would it be worth contemplating the union jack club at waterloo? again can't offer any personal thoughts.

another couple of things that may or may not be stating the bleeding obvious - if you have a scottish concessionary bus pass, you can't use this for travel in London - 'national' in this context means the 4 countries of the UK.

and you can't pay cash fares on buses in London any more - you can either pay with a contactless card, get an Oyster Card, or do a 'one day travelcard' each day - this covers all TFL bus services (pretty much anything except the open top sightseeing tour things), underground, overground rail, national rail services, Docklands Light Railway and (should you really want to venture there) the Croydon trams. You also get a discount on the Thames river boat services.

20. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

For really cheap try Barking then District line in.

Locked myself out the house once (left keys in France).
    Needed a hotel cheap and last minute and to be able to make it into West Kensington easily the next morning.
    Double bed with ensuite in Barking for £35 was a life saver. Cheaper than a 24 hour locksmith.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  21. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

[​IMG]

:p

spitfire likes this.
  22. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I forget to warn him that it can be a be a bit ruff.

23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Go to the dalston premier inn, and if in London on a Friday go to the Stone Cave restaurant and enjoy the belly dancing as you eat your meal

24. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

My parents come back to the city sometimes and they often stay at the Travelodge in Covent Garden - Covent Garden Hotel London | Travelodge - which is apparently less than £100 a night, and obviously very central.

clicker, spitfire and Sue like this.
  25. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I walk past there every day and had no idea about the belly dancing. #everydaysaschoolday.

26. Sasaferrato

Union Jack club it will be. I've stayed there before, a lot of years ago. £62.00 a night.

clicker, tim, 19sixtysix and 2 others like this.
  27. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

And super close to the British Museum, easily walkable to the National Gallery/Portrait Gallery and on the right tube line for the V&A/Science Museum/NH Museum.

28. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

This. I’ve stayed here a few times. Their rates are usually fairly decent, especially if you’re booking in advance.

Plus it’s handy for The Albert too :D

colacubes and Pickman's model like this.
  29. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Easily walkable from there to lots of places. :thumbs:

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

The bite pizza place just south of the junction very good btw