ILL - all female, punked up genius from manchester.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Kaka Tim, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Yup
    Great gig wasn't it
    Who are you!? :eek: :D

2. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

I work with one of the guys in Surreal Kinnock. Shame I had to leave early would've liked to hear some ILL!

Luna Stasi were brilliant as well.

3. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Well, they can't be that good - Just tried putting the CD onto my i-tunes and that Gracenotes thing hasn't heard of them.

This means I have to type the tracknames in. pfft.:mad:

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

They were!

Probably play some ill at gig tomorrow too!

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  5. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

6. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

but they do sound a bit like all those old female punk bands of yesteryear - which isn't a criticism. I got bits of Girls At Our Best, Au Pairs, Raincoats (especially), Liliput, Delta 5, plus bits of Mambo taxi and Voodoo queens experimenting with Pram in there as well and probably my favourite, another manc band, Bette davis and the balconettes who i used to erm, 'manage' for about five minutes back in the 90s.

It's all good stuff.

7. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

there's bits of that in their for sure - but they have their own distinctive thing going on - and all of those bands (well the ones im familiar with - au pairs, raincoats and delta 5) sounds quite different from each other. I think there's a shared approach to the music - experimental, an emphasis on the impact of sound rather then melody, unconventional approach to the vocals and elements of discord - but the outcomes are quite different. And with ill, I think you can hear the influence of EDM and things like dub step in there as well
    I think they are far more accessible than the raincoats - they manage to marry the weird avante garde stuff with catchy hooks and chorus and their is a lot more going on with the vocal interplay. That - combined with the art school approach - makes them much more of a classic pop group (a good thing imo)

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. sorearm

sorearm wanna buy some pegs dave?

Saw them at the screaming females gig tonight, 2nd support ... fucking brilliant

Kaka Tim and ddraig like this.
  9. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

Must admit I have been checking them out since my last visit. Interesting band.

10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

11. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

There are two problems with the album - it seems to have been recorded ridiculously quietly. And on bus shelter they say lousy and engage in some other lyrical nonsense.

12. Kaka Tim

In session with marc riley tonight on 6 music at 7pm.

13. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Just in case anyone's interested, Malaysian LGBT punk band Shh...Diam is playing the Old Abbey Taphouse in Hulme, Manchester on 11 August 2018 as part of their European tour.

Other acts on the bill include Ajah UK, Poisonous C**ts, local anarcho punk band Crabs and Alt Femme DJs.

Plus there will be a barbecue as it's a 3pm till 3am all dayer.

Kaka Tim likes this.
  14. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

The Old Abbey is a great pub - might come along to this.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  15. Kaka Tim

Im putting these on in leeds this friday. the other bands are really good as well - (I might be in one of them). £5.00 if you pm me and reserve a ticket. Otherwise £7.00 on the door.

16. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Good luck with it!

Kaka Tim and Threshers_Flail like this.
  17. Kaka Tim

gig was mint. They ended with a cover of the stooges "cock in my pocket" that was just stunning - it quickly went from the shock humour of women singing this song to something else - scary in its intensity.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    ddraig likes this.
  18. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Stooges not iggy! Though i suppose you could say it's his, but you don't call Stones songs jagger-richards songs. Well, you might...

19. Kaka Tim

duly edited.

20. Kaka Tim

Video of Kick Him Out the Disco from the leeds gig

21. Kaka Tim

They're are on tour with The Lovely Eggs (who are also excellent) in October -

Oct 11 - Beat Generator Dundee
    Oct 12 - CCA - Glasgow
    Oct 13 - Bongo Club Edinburgh
    Oct 21 - Roadmender - Northhampton
    Oct 22 - The Maze - Nottingham
    Oct 23 - Hare and Hounds Kings Heath - Birmingham

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  22. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Shame not doing anything down south.

Saw the Lovely Eggs in June and they were great, so would be a great night to have both on the bill.

Also with Lovely Eggs in June was Mr Ben and the Bens, who were fucking first class, and really nice folk too :thumbs: