If we'd been at home in the play-off final...

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by SDE, May 2, 2014.

1. SDE

SDE Well-Known Member

I was pondering this the other today. We had 1400 for our last game of the season. That's a hell of a jump from the (highly impressive) attendances we've seen of late. If you look at the increase we had from regular season to play-off semi-final v Folkestone in 2012, then the huge leap again in attendance for the final at Bognor... With our amazing mass potential for attracting new people to the party, surely there's a chance we could have surpassed our 3,000 champion hill capacity? The thought of it is quite mental but we could seriously have been swamped. 8 more Griffs needed for turnstile duty, no chance of a beer at the bar, sainsburys and 12th man Stella cart doing a roaring trade. Would we have needed to sell tickets in advance????

2. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

3000? No I don't think so tbh. There were would have been a good crowd for sure but I don't think you can grow crowds exponentially like that, it's easier to increase by a high % from a relatively low base.

Thamesmead actually increased their crowd by the highest percentage this year. From about 60 to over 100. I don't think they'll keep that up but if they can add another 40 they'll be doing OK from such a small starting point.

3. SDE

SDE Well-Known Member

Over 2k at the final at Bognor in 2012. That's a crazy big leap from what they were getting in the normal season.

4. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

It would have been huge semi and final better than Kingstonians 641 for the semi!

That seems a little disappointing especially as they were playing a Londonish team.

although I suppose Chelsea were playing.

vornstyle76 likes this.
  5. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Badly I have to say.

Moroccan Sunset and Scutta like this.
  6. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

I agree with Dessie, I think the crowd would have gone bonkers for a play-off final. Everyone loves the excitement of a final and I think a lot of people from the local area would have come down for the first time to see what the fuss is about.

Scutta likes this.
  7. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

I've been saying a home play-off final would have attracted 2,000 but I see Dessie's blown me out of the water on the optimism stakes so I'd better come back with an improved offer: Full capacity, riots by the turnstiles, plus an additional thousand commandeering hot air balloons and pteranodons to watch from above the pitch.

Moroccan Sunset, editor, SDE and 2 others like this.
  8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Yes, we could have got a huge crowd for the final...but I don't think THAT big! but we never got there, so it's all irrelivant.

What we have to do is hope our crowds keep on building, slowly but surely, as the new season progresses. I am amazed by the amount of fans still coming to their 'first game' throughout the season, especially towards the end of it.

One thing that encourages people to come back (apart from the excellent Brixton buzz publicity) is the atmosphere. And, while it was still good, I think this gets diluted at big home games, like the K's one. Singers are spread around behind the goal, & two different songs are on the go at the same time, which dilutes the effect of them. Someone we need to pull together as one, as 'sing from the same songsheet' to make a concerted wall of noise, to both back our team and intimidate the opposition.

9. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

2,697 at Lowestoft today. I think Dessie was completely spot on.

Scutta likes this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

There's fuck all else to do in Lowestoft! I wonder how many, or should that be few, of them actually got a decent view of the game?

11. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

...and 2960 at Chesham today. They've averaged 500 rest of season, so 3000 at Champion Hill could have happened....

Jack and I had to queue 30 minutes to get in. Fortunately KO was delayed. Saw two other #dhfc there...

Here is 1/3 of queue http://instagram.com/p/nni2X9uJc9/

12. Dulwich Mishi

No doubt we would have had our biggest crowd of the season...but...London area clubs tend not to get as big a jump in play-offs, as there's not that 'town identity', for starters. But it's all hypothetical isn't it? I just hope our crowds continue to grow for League games next season week by week, as they were doing this season... 668 average for us. Best in living memory for me, probably best for half a century! wonder how much we can get them up to next season? 750 average would be amazing, but a tough target..

pettyboy, Scutta and pompeydunc like this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

I would have been in New York already if I hadn't delayed my holiday in the firm belief that Hamlet would be in the play off final.

14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I don't see any reason crowds won't keep going up. Average over the last couple of months was higher than for the season even taking out the big crowd for the last match (and the fact the team was struggling a bit by then). And you just see it at the games - every match there's new people and they all really love it. I don't know what the ceiling is but we're not there yet.

My wife came to the last match as a lifelong football hater - today she's been buying pink and blue hair decorations for next season.

Scutta and pompeydunc like this.