1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If the Mona Lisa didn't exist, what would the default Greatest Painting be?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Santino, Mar 26, 2018.

1. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

2. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Is it odd that I find that first painting very disturbing but the second one not so much?

Celyn likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yes

PippinTook likes this.
  4. PippinTook

The first one...creepy eyes are frightening and he has a weird leery smile.
    The second one...is someone crying and upset..maybe they saw the first picture and it upset them.

:D

5. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

The eyes fail to follow one around the room though ... :hmm:

green-377113.jpg

rich! and PippinTook like this.
  6. strung out

strung out (",)

IIn terms of ubiquity, I've seen prints/copies of J H Lynch paintings almost more than anything else over the last few years, e.g.

[​IMG]

gentlegreen likes this.
  7. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

What's odd is that you're asking us why you think one is more disturbing than the other.

8. PippinTook

Lol...perhaps I'm just wondering

9. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

This was mentioned in a Chinese historical novel I'm reading, have to confess hadn't even heard of the (famous) painter Kramskoi and reading the Wiki entry it's got a lot of Mona Lisa-esque qualities; clearly well-known in Russia and China (working class character brings home a print in my novel) and the art world:
    [​IMG]
    Portrait of an Unknown Woman - Wikipedia

10. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Prickly Pollster

11. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

12. copliker

copliker ...

13. copliker

copliker ...

No this is my favourite now.

Jon-Mcnaughton.jpg

Bless you Jon McNaughton.

PippinTook likes this.
  14. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

who is the blue suit guy? another everyman character, or some repub buffoon?

15. copliker

copliker ...

"The Modern Christian" apparently.

PippinTook likes this.
  16. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

I need one of those Excel quizzes with this so I can spend all day at work identifying the people in it.

17. copliker

copliker ...

I like the three stooges "y I oughta" motif but unimpressed that Stalin is towering over Napoleon.

18. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

OMFG I love you for doing that xx :D :D

19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Not really my cuppa, but seeing this in the flesh, the colours are extraordinary

[​IMG]

dessiato likes this.
  20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I discovered Yves Tanguy last week.....

[​IMG]

dessiato likes this.
  21. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

No offense, but I just kind of object to the default position that the Mona Lisa is the greatest painting of all time, and that we'd have to pretend it didn't exist in order to elect something different. And I'd be hard pressed to pick 1 painting out of everything available.

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Don't be such a Grinch. How much of an excuse do you want to post a picture of a beautiful painting. When my daughter was a babe, she loved this; landseers dignity and impudence N00604_9.jpg

PippinTook likes this.
  23. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

[​IMG]

hiccup and PippinTook like this.
  24. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

That's not really the point of the thread though.

25. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Is very, very different to:

26. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

That is one of my all time favourite paintings. You can't really compare it to the Mona Lisa, but it is a fucking fantastic painting.

In general response to the thread OP...

Leonardo had a couple up his sleeve. He would come First and Second without Mona Lisa, because he wasn't just genius artist, he was genius everything. He could sell his talent in his time. I think only Van Gogh comes close. He may come closer in 300 years time, or he may be left further behind. Da Vinci took the gig whilst it was available, and I doubt very much if anyone else in the next Millennium will get even close.

27. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins The shores of Blighty beckon...

Yes that is phenomenal in the flesh

hash tag likes this.
  28. PippinTook

images(15).jpg

Another vote for Turner from me.

And...
    It just struck me again how truly amazing the internet is...we are so used to it now that the awe is partly gone, but to be able to see any famous painting you want, in the time it takes to type or say it's name is really great. :)

29. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

That's so very true. Most Dali I've seen have been truly awesome when you are standing in front of them. The size makes you wonder how he managed to conceive and produce them. I couldn't single out any one as above the others.

One Hopper I especially like has no impact until you see it. The finess of the art, the life and movement, his work depicting the effects of light on the subject, are all utterly amazing. You don't get this overwhelming effect until you are in front of it.
    9643_1.jpg

clicker, Mrs Miggins and PippinTook like this.
  30. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins The shores of Blighty beckon...

I'll never forget being totally blown away by the Carravaggio exhibition at the National several years ago. I was so captured by the paintings that I thought I'd buy the book but absolutely everything that made them great was lost in reproduction.

PippinTook and dessiato like this.