If South London had as many tube stations as North London...

Discussion in 'transport' started by Mation, Feb 1, 2018.

1. You can't really have a mainline south though, it would hit the sea after 60 miles. But the extensiveness of the network to the south is far greater than to the north, every other lamp-post seems to have its own station, which is why travelling in from Leatherhead is such a bind; you must choose to live in an area with a better connection, such as Godalming. Of course SWT, then SWR have done their best to make that shite too.

I shouldn't be too mean, I saw Alan Partridge in Watford and had a summer-long fling with Lovely Lucy back in 1991, so fairly fond memories. Just being so close to the town of Bushy puts me off the place, what kind of town is called Bushy ffs?

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the sort which posties hate as people confuse it with nearby bushey

A380 likes this.
  3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Bushey, no?

I’ve had cause to go there in the last two weeks. Turns out that two separate high-status ophthalmologists from Moorfields had both missed the cause of a painful eye condition in the kabbess that one in little old Bushey then picked up. So Bushey’s alright with me.

4. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

You can't really have a mainline south though, it would hit the sea after 60 miles.
    QUOTE]
    [​IMG]
    Tho stripped of all its "streamlining", this Bullied designed Merchant Navy class Pacific was built by the Southern Railway for express services - late 30s - so they thought they had a "mainline" - tbf there were loads of Boat Trains in them days

A380 likes this.
  5. Yeah, but the point was that from Euston or Kings Cross you could go north 250 miles or so, but as there was a restricted distance to the south they just built more lines and more stations, even after Beeching there do seem to be a lot of stations that serve very small communities which have a much larger community with a station 2 or 3 miles away in Surrey & Sussex...

A380 and Pickman's model like this.
  6. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

The older commuters tell me that back in the day, they used to run 30-40 minute fast services to Dorking. With alcoholic drinks for sale and seats for all.

Now, I'm crammed into a cattle car with no ability to move and a train that I am lucky if it gets there in 60 minutes.

That's progress for you.

A380 likes this.
  7. We still get 45 mins + booze at your seat SWR have been looking closely at Dorking's lead though so it can't be long until we catch up with the service you get offered.

8. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

But none of it joins up. All built by different companies with little desire to allow their passengers to change onto their competitors trains. So you have multiple stations for each area, each taking different routes to multiple termini. A tangled overlapping incoherent mess, which means each actual route is very poorly served in terms of trains per hour.

A380, Miss-Shelf and kabbes like this.
  9. Yeah, you have to pick the main station, e.g. Godalming rather than Witley, Milford or Farnecombe, all within 4 miles of each other, but most trains going to Portsmouth from Guildford stop at Godalming, only one or two an hour at these other places...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

i've always thought that 'to dork' ought to be a term for something rude. as in 'i gave the mrs a good dorking last night'

:p

A380 and kabbes like this.
  11. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

What Crispy says
    Two trains per hour to london bridge and 4 ph to Victoria (my local station at rush hour ) does not match frequency of tube train ph
    Dwell time and travel time is longer and subject to delays on the network

Mation likes this.
  12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

in general, yes, but not necessarily - chesham (metropolitan line) has 2 trains per hour and the watford / amersham bits are each 4 trains per hour off peak, and from the tweeter feed of acquaintance who lives in chesham, that's subject to plenty of delays as well...

13. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

They are zone 8 or 9... do they really count as part of London for the purposes of the north south connections debate?

A380 and Mation like this.
  14. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Everyone seems to missing the point; NW London is better served by public transport because it’s the best part of London.

(Also Metroland)

15. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

They’ve flipped the map on the Thames which is inaccurate. The tube feeds central London and that wouldn’t change (why would it?) so they should have flipped it on the central line.

16. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Perhaps it’s from a London which is like Vienna or Berlin where the river doesn’t run through the centre? Zombie crocodiles in the Thames perhaps?Wher, instead of the Tower of London, we had to build a beaten zone.

17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

The Twilight Zone.

Pickman's model and A380 like this.
  18. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I'd like to see the tube map superimposed on Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds, just to see what it'd be like getting about those places with a system like that.

A380 likes this.
  19. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

It does. "Dork" in US slang means "cock' (as in "penis"), so I leavr it to you to figure out what the verb might mean:)

Puddy_Tat likes this.
  20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Lots of tube expansion plans in North London scuppered by the war, wouldn't be surprised if the south London tube map would have been rather different too if there hadn't been that distraction from transport investment