If South London had as many tube stations as North London...

Discussion in 'transport' started by Mation, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Mation and Badgers like this.
  3. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

As always North London is blamed for West London's crimes. It's actually West and North West London that receives the most tube coverage, with SW London doing about as well, if not better than North or East London. (IMO the Northern Line mainly serves NW London, it's Eastern branch marking the border between N and NW).

The Thames is a false border, the real war is East versus West not North versus South.

4. Mation

Phew! :p

ska invita likes this.
  5. Mation

Yeah! They should call it* the Red Trousered Line :mad:

I haven't counted the stations but visually that doesn't seem to bear out across the whole network. Or did you just mean the Northern Line?

*I'm not sure what.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Wrong again, maomao
    Totteridge south to archway the stations are firmly in N, n20, n12, n3, n2, n6 and n19 respectively. Mill hill East firmly nw, as are Tufnell Park,Kentish town, Camden Town and Euston.

The real as opposed to postal boundary between N and NW London the Edgware branch. NW London has its core in brent, not barnet

7. Sea Star

Sea Star epoxy on all your houses

Without checking the map - straight off the top of my head - Essex has the Central Line and the District Line, Kent has nothing. The DLR even goes further east north of the river than it does in the south. So from where i sit it is definitely a north-south thing.

moon, Thimble Queen and Mation like this.
  8. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I was expressing an opinion. The n postcodes you've named are on the westeen boundary of North London and Barnet is a NW suburb not a northern one.

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Yes SE London is worst off but my contention is that SW is better provided than East.

10. Pickman's model

you're moving the goalposts. you here claim that the n postcodes are on the western boundary of north london: but this is a very different claim from the eastern branch of the northern line being the boundary of north london. you can't keep an argument straight, that's your trouble.

11. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I will return with a map when I can be bothered. My argument has not changed at any point.

12. Pickman's model

yeh of course you haven't changed your argument.

13. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Can you read?

14. Pickman's model

er no i've been faking for the past 15 years :rolleyes:

existentialist and A380 like this.
  15. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Well. You explain the substantial and meaningful difference between the second and third quotes of mine above then and I'll get to work on my map.

16. kabbes

The map rotates rather than flips, so what was NE now becomes SW.

What looks better served post-flip? NE or SW? NE only has a tiny handful of stops, whereas SW has loads.

Mation likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

it's a fairly clear difference to be honest and i'm surprised you don't see it.

but for those who can read but can't think - that's you, maomao, the difference is that your claims are plainly different. you declare the eastern branch of the northern line the boundary between n and nw london. you then say the postcodes i name are on the western boundary of north london. it follows, therefore, that the western boundary of north london would for you be the western boundary of the postcodes i name, and not the eastern branch of the northern line. the two don't march together. see, for example, n20:
    [​IMG]
    the northern tube station is totteridge and whetstone, the southern woodside park. as you can see, it is a considerable distance from totteridge station to the western boundary of n20.

let's take n12.
    [​IMG]
    there's woodside park, bang in the middle of it.

and n3, with west finchley and finchley central
    [​IMG]

18. What zone would Farnborough be in then? Seeing as it's in sodding Hampshire.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  19. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Pointless hair splitting and doesn't address original point IMO.

20. Pickman's model

yeh. pointless hair splitting what we do here. next time you have an opinion, do try to make it one worth holding and not one which collapses as soon as it's examined.

21. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Actually, ICBAWYS

22. Pickman's model

:D

23. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

But the Cold War has officially finished!! :D

Pickman's model likes this.
  24. Pickman's model

we have always been at war with redbridgia

A380, iamwithnail, Sea Star and 2 others like this.
  25. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I live in South West London and are tube connections are shite. We have one crappy branch of the district line which takes an eternity to get anywhere. We do however have a decent national rail line. We we did until the latest incarnation of the franchise have fucked it all up.

26. Which is kind of the point of the article Mation links to; south (of) London doesn't need decent tubes as the overground network is so extensive, (SWR glorious first 6 months excepted, of course).

27. kabbes

The trouble is, that isn’t true either. I used to live in Watford. That has way, way better overground networks than SW suburbia, as well as having its underground station.

A380 likes this.
  28. Watford is one of those places that people need a lot of ways to leave from though. And it happens to lie on the route of the mainline rail heading northwards. And is inside the M25.

A380 likes this.
  29. kabbes

The fact that Watford is on a mainline is kind of the point. Good rail links, which the SW doesn’t have, remember?

Leatherhead is kind of on the M25 in the same way that Watford is kind of on it. You try catching a train from Leatherhead into London and compare that experience.

And don’t be mean about Watford. I had a great time living in Watford. The joys of being 22 with a new full time job, a house of friends and a gal you’re trying to woo.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    A380 likes this.
  30. Sea Star

Sea Star epoxy on all your houses

The over ground network in south West London Kent borders and out into Kent is utterly shite. I was never going to own a car again. But having to get to places on time now that aren't all on the same line (meaning a trip in to London and then back out again) means I now need a car.