Identifying an abandoned station from the 1970s near Heathrow

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Sep 25, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

probably one on the Staines (GWR) branch

one moment...

Hmm.

Not that.

The only substantial stations were Colnbrook (building doesn't match) and Staines West (building was end on at the terminus)

And it's not one of the Uxbridge stations either.

Ah

May not be that close, then.

A few bits of the building look faintly London, Chatham & Dover Railway, but that doesn't prove anything.

I can't think of anywhere LCDR that would have been closed around the right sort of time to be at that stage of dereliction around 1970...

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good call, although the architecture doesn't look very GWR.

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Do you know where the photographer was travelling from to get to Heathrow that day? The chances are it's on the same side of Heathrow as he started from, or not far in the other direction - there's a mention of Amesbury on the blog entry.

First thought (if Amesbury is relevant) is maybe somewhere on the Midland & S Western line - "abandoned stations" hasn't covered that line yet, though.

ETA - sod it, I'm going to log out otherwise I'm going to get sod all done today...

5. Balham

Balham If it ain't in London then, well, it just ain't.

Had a look at closed stations in Wiltshire, closed stations in Berkshire, nothing stands out.

6. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I'm afraid I'm not into railway stations or architecture, but just a thought.

Are you looking at the building as a whole, or just the main larger bit of the building? The end bit looks like an extension that may have been added later (different brickwork) and therefore if doing a search on pictures, some could be discounted because you're expecting to see the extension maybe?

I'm probably wrong though

7. Minnie_the_Minx

On the other hand, the top floor of the big building is completely different brickwork. Looks more like blockwork. However, chimneys on what looks like the extension building look like old brickworth, whereas the ones on the upper storey of the main building are blockwork. So maybe the extension wasn't built at a later stage but the 2nd storey was, although why they'd build upwards rather than next to main building... :hmm:

I'm waffling :oops:

8. Balham

Perhaps there are railway bofs who can identify the area at least by the fraction of the signal box or the telegraph poles masts.

Daft as it might seem Minnie The Minx what you say makes sense . . . take off the first dloor and I think I've seen it already. Coffee first though.

Where I might have seen it is through the following searchs, Disused Railway stations of Wiltshire, Disused Railway stations of Berkshire, the same for London and Buckinghamshire.

9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

One of my colleagues is a great railway enthusiast - have emailed the photo to her to see if she has any idea.

10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Greebo likes this.
  11. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

My colleague doesn't recognise it as being near Heathrow.

She thinks it's much more likely to be in the Amesbury area on the Midland and South Western line, mentioned by Puddy-Tat, as many stations in Wiltshire were closed in the Beeching era and after.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

I've found images of all the stations on the Guildford - Christs Hospital - Shoreham line, and can't find a match.

Alton - Winchester was still open in 1970 (part of which has now become the 'Watercress Line'

Next line of enquiry is the lines through East Grinstead high level if we're going with the LBSCR architecture

14. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Can you ask him if it might possibly be Stockbridge, Hants? Was on the Andover - Romsey line, closed to passengers in 1967.

I'm going purely on

a) on a possible route from Amesbury to Heathrow (on the A 30 - the station site has been obliterated by a new alignment of the A 30)

b) very little other info. 'Disused Stations' hasn't covered the line at all. The only pictures I can find are limited -

painting (can't embded) here

and this -

[​IMG]
    The slight curve, the canopy and the base of the support columns, the signalbox and the telegraph poles look right, but it's a long shot...

15. Balham

Gosh, well done [​IMG]. Seems to be the right one. How on earth did you find it?

See what can be found out about the train now . .

In 1961 47 was the headcode for Portsmouth & Southsea - Andover Junc (stopping service) via Netley, like here.

16. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

I'm not sure why I tried searching for this - possibly because I couldn't remember ever seeing a Station in Stockbridge even though I travelled through it regularly from the early seventies.

However, I've found an aerial photo including the station. Although it's only a very small part of the photo, it does look a bit like it!

[​IMG]

The photo comes from here: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw023308 and appears to have been taken in 1928

17. Minnie_the_Minx

I've found this picture also of Stockbridge and if you look at the main building, it's definitely blockwork and not brickwork

[​IMG]

Chimneys look the same and there's the canopy and footbridge

18. Minnie_the_Minx

Great job btw Puddy :cool:

19. Minnie_the_Minx

and no picture of the station itself, but the sign c. 1914

[​IMG]

20. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

Yep, I agree! Amazing deduction as it's nowhere near Heathrow! :D

21. Minnie_the_Minx

I gave up looking for stations near Heathrow hours ago :D

Leafster likes this.
  22. Minnie_the_Minx

Just found this:

from Visit Hampshire website

However, the photos Hampshire has (like the ones supplied above) lists the date as c.1970 so 3 years out so maybe Editor's friend is slightly out with the date

23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

at that remove i think you can allow a couple of years error

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the painting. It's looking like this could be the one....

del.jpg

The page says it was taken in the early 1970s.

25. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, was the 60s after all and apparently if you can remember them, you weren't there, so we'll have to put the wrong date down to a misspent youth

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The telegraph pole is bang on!

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Actually, if the canopy was altered, the top floor of the building looks an exact match.
    But the chimney doesn't seem quite right.

What other stations were there on the line?

29. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

If all the photos from Hampshire Council website concerning the demolition of the station and the removal of the bridge were taken at the same time it has to be at least 1970 as one picture shows a Hillman Avenger which was first on sale in 1970. :oops:

30. Minnie_the_Minx

Chimney must have fallen off at some stage and been replaced as it's different, but the blockwork is still there and I'm more curious as to why. Don't think I've seen any like that. Initially thought maybe there had been a fire or storm damage but it's like that in early photos