Question Identify the photographer

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Corax, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

I'd like to change my lock screen to a set of photos that I'm unable to locate. Wondered if the Urbanz hivemind might help...

I first came across this photographer (Male, USA) before I moved out of London, so I'd guess 15-20 years ago. I came across it on the web, but I very much got the impression he was professional - and not just taking amusing portraits of people's dogs out of a Snappy Snaps.

His work was characterised by well executed hyper-saturation - often (IIRC) of natural landscapes. I think there was also stuff of *subjects*, but I don't remember anything in close-up. His use of saturation was a relatively novel technique at the time, which is why I found it so striking. I even sought out ways to manually recreate the effect by convoluted use of the sliders in my (now ancient) copy of Photoshop Elements.

Unfortunately in the intervening period, as photo editing software has become much more user-friendly, such things have gained increasing popularity, and simultaneously been the subject of much eye-rolling despair amongst professional photographers.

Consequently my searches have given me nothing more than crap over-saturation, or blog posts bemoaning them.

Can anyone on here suggest who it might be?

It's not Justinas Vilutis or David LaChapelle.

2. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Sounds very much like William Egglestone (sp?). I met his sister recently. He pretty much defined the use of colour in a Kodachrome/Polaroid way. He has a reputation for being a bit of 'an awkward person' to work with which many people say has played a part in his lack of recognition.

If not, I'll guess again.

Eggleston.

William Eggleston - Wikipedia

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. Stanley Edwards

If it wasn't the colour meastro himself, there are literally Thousands to choose from the early 90's. It was the birth of digital effects, and colour twatishness was in every glossy photo mag, and early website/image library.

5. Stanley Edwards

This guy maybe?

sheep.jpg

Early PS on a 4MB Mac at it's very best ;)

6. Corax

None of those so far (although thanks for the suggestions)

Nothing was ever colourised as in Stanley's post, nor was he as high profile as someone like Adams.

I think it was probably someone most people have never heard of. Which really isn't very helpful I know... :rolleyes:

No black and white that I recall, nor any big exhibitions or glossy publications. Very much a one trick pony, which is probably why he's now so hard to ID.

I get what Stanley says about the "Thousands to choose from the early 90's" but at this point there really weren't. He just about predated the era of every mug and their dog fucking about with sliders. His website had a lot of (amateur) interest in how they might replicate his effects, because it wasn't so simple back yonder...

In terms of profile/presence, he was more U75 than Reddit iykwim.

7. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

You would need to provide a lot more information, even if it's vague. At this point it's just style and era.

8. Stanley Edwards

Try just a vague description of the photograph you remember most. The subject and content as well as the style. I think there were Thousands already playing digitally by then. I think my shot above was from about '95. If I had access to the technology then (scanned negatives to CD), then I'm pretty sure Hundreds of Thousands did also.

At that time we were a generation of photographers who grew up in the darkroom. We knew all about subtle enhancements to colours by film processing and printing techniques. We knew what solarisation was, how it worked, how we controlled it in a controlled environment. All those words on the 'effects' drop down menu were already familiar to us, but often looked nothing like what we knew. Early digital effects just seemed crass, and become exploited to the extreme all to quickly. Things are very different now of course, but if the photographer you mention was remembered by yourself, then he will surely be remembered by others, but there were many!

Many people like myself were using digital to enhance the reality of an image rather than distort. Many of the photographs I was taking then took lens, filter, film, processing and printing into account whilst also considering the scanned image and treatment it was going to respond to in PhotoShop. By the time it has been published on the web, every image is digital of course, but much of the 'digital' stuff being produced in the 1990's wasn't even recognised as digital. The initial capture may not have been digital, but a good 50% of the making of the final image was created digitally.

I'm just rambling on a rainy Saturday morning...

Just a little more description of subject matter and context may help us identify who you are searching for.

9. Corax

Okay, the one I remember most was of a waterfall behind an inland beach and pool, with rainforesty flora around it. I think it may have been taken of one of the South American sinkholes or similar.

The memories are all so hazy... :rolleyes:

10. Stanley Edwards

Not really sure we're in the digital age here, but try an image search for Stephen Shore. Followed him for years myself. Really like his work. Very obviously in the Eggleston mould, but with his own unique style.

Stephen Shore - Wikipedia

Highly influential on today's generation of 'road trip' photographers.