1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for concrete & wood flooring.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by moonsi til, Oct 12, 2017.

1. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

We have taken up the laminate in the hall hoping it would be floorboards throughout but there is concrete at bottom of the stairs.

What are the options here? The aim was to sand the floorboards.

Pinterest has photos of people painting concrete to look like wood.

I put 'we' but it was in fact only my partner who decided today was the day to find out. I came home to this!

Attached Files:

2. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Polished concrete is gorgeous but I think it's quite cold and I don't know about cost.

3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Personally I would put laminate back down on that.

4. moonsi til

Recovering is an obvious option. I thought perhaps vinyl?

5. campanula

campanula am I still bleeding

Marmoleum is my preferred choice of floor covering - really lovely stuff but can need heaps of self-levelling Ardit or a chipboard/plywood subfloor as it will expose every tiny imperfection in the floor surface. I am going to get some in the horsebox - softer and warmer than wood or vinyl and longer lasting (than vinyl, which I have in my kitchen at home).

6. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Tiles or carpet. The boards you do have are running the wrong way, aesthetically anyway.

gentlegreen likes this.
  7. Cpatain Rbubish

Cpatain Rbubish Only available on conscription

I like it as it is. Just tell everyone it's the look you'd planned for.

8115 likes this.
  8. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

I've done two polished concrete floors in the kitchens of our last two houses and they look great and are very durable but it's a lot of dicking around with noxious chemicals and tons of dust to get a good finish.

Concrete is porous so you have to apply a densifier to the surface then machine polish it then seal it. You can just paint it and it might look acceptable for about ten minutes but it won't last.

Given the area you have, I'd stabilise and level the old floorboards and then do a bamboo floor over the whole lot. The areas are too small for different finishes IMO.

Badgers likes this.
  9. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Depends on costs but I'd be inclined to carpet or tile the lot....
    Plenty underlay mind....if you opt for carpet.
    Tiling will probably require some levelling compound and it's messy and not a cheap option.....
    I'd be looking at either carpet or laminate again....or vinyl

10. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Another vote for carpet.

11. ignatious

ignatious Well-Known Member

It’s probably a concrete pour but it might be a fairly thin sand & cement mix that’s been used as a leveller so it’s worth drilling in to check the thickness, you might get a pleasant surprise and find that it comes up quite easily in which case you can level off and lay new boards in that area, then sand the others.

From the pic it looks like the whole area would need a lot of prep before it would be suitable for tiling, and you’d need to use a decoupling membrane to avoid cracks if you’re tiling over two different subfloors.

Laying new laminate or wood over the existing would mean replacing the skirting if you wanted a clean finish, or installing beading around the perimeter to cover your expansion gap.

A good quality vinyl (such as Amtico) would be an option. Carpet too.

12. moonsi til

Thanks for replies much appreciated.

We are having a few house things done that include new kitchen floor & in the space next to it which used to be a downstairs bathroom. None of the floors are level from hall to lounge to kitchen to old bathroom.

We had a quote for Amtico for kitchen & old bathroom but they don't make that exact one anymore. The current plan is to fit Coretec in the lounge, kitchen & old bathroom as they all flow into each other & no door between them. We are going to ask how much to do the hall too but first pref is to have the hall different.

When we started the lounge was not part of the work and now there is the bloody hall.

8115 likes this.
  13. moonsi til

I don't mind the way the boards run. I have similar in hall upstairs but in bedrooms they are length ways.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

I had a similar situation once and painted the concrete floor in my bathroom

It looked terrible. Painting concrete well is difficult and it wears badly.

I put proper flooring over it after a few months