Ibsen in Brixton - Victorian satirical print

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

upload_2018-10-9_19-40-7.png

Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain what this means? I'm assuming it's referencing Brixton's theatrical tradition...

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat put on an iron shirt, chase santa out of earth

seems to be a reference to 'A Doll's House' by Henrik Ibsen

Don't see anything specific in the reference to Brixton, except as a typical middle-ish class suburb of the time

Gramsci, spanglechick and editor like this.
  3. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Before it got ungentrified!

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat put on an iron shirt, chase santa out of earth

I wonder if Brixton tended to be used in literature / culture of the time as a specific representative of a particular type of suburbia? A lot of Sherlock Holmes' cases either took place in, or had passing reference to Brixton.

sealion likes this.
  5. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Ok. So, at the end of Ibsen’s A Doll’s House, Nora, a young, beautiful middle class wife and mother leaves her husband and kids because he has never loved her as an equal, but like a plaything. A doll. An ornament.

In this cartoon there is clearly a wife leaving a husband, but here that wife is middle aged and fat.

I think the joke is that women were seeing the play and identifying with Nora, and following suit. But we’re invited to laugh at their conceit, because obviously being old and fat means their husbands can’t possibly have put them on a pedestal like Nora.

The Brixton thing, I’m pretty certain, is as said above, just a well known and not very fashionable, fairly affluent suburb.

Where did you come across it?

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I scan eBay for Brixton memorabilia and then did a search for some background.

7. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable