I think management are trying to get rid of me

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by NoXion, Feb 5, 2018.

1. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I should probably have made this post a week ago, but I was struck with a strong case of "fuck it". I just wanted to spend a week smoking and pissing about without having to deal with boss bullshit. But anyways...

They've been reducing my hours and as a result my income has suffered severely. I only got about £450 last month, and I haven't worked at all so far this month.

The first major warning sign - that is, when I first started realising that my employer may be trying to force me out - came when I the rota on Friday last month - everyone else was getting two day's work the next week, but not me. This concerned me, so I went to have a chat with my supervisor - bad fucking idea, if I'm such a social disaster area that it takes me weeks to work when my bosses want to get rid of me, then I'm not going to fare very explaining myself in person to someone with authority over me.

My memory of that meeting fails me for the most part, but I do remember him saying something to me along the lines that I should "think about whether I really want to work there" (paraphrased).

At the time I think I said something fairly non-confrontational, but thinking about it now makes me fucking angry. I turn up to work, I do what I'm told, and I even managed to get through December without making any mistakes that have to be recorded. If I really didn't want the job I would fucking quit, but I have to earn a living somehow!

The final straw was last Friday, when another supervisor phoned me up to tell me I had no work this week. I have to do something, I can no longer fuck it off.

What should I do? I've been properly dismissed/let go from jobs before, it fucking sucks but at least I knew what to do afterwards.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

What's your contract state for working hours per week?

3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Is it a zero hour contact or freelance thing?

4. NoXion

Zero hours. I'm fucked, aren't I?

5. UnderAnOpenSky

I'd start looking for a new job. Sorry. It's proper shit how they can do this.

Riklet, equationgirl, Almor and 4 others like this.
  6. cybershot

Zero hours, worst thing that ever got allowed.

tim, Throbbing Angel, Riklet and 7 others like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

UnderAnOpenSky has it right, time to get a new job

Badgers likes this.
  8. UnderAnOpenSky

I'm about to find out how well it works the other way. I reluctantly chose to stay with the company I worked for 5 years when they got taken over, but switched to a zero hour so I could pursue opportunities elsewhere. They put me on the rota for March without asking me. They are quite short staffed and I'm about to tell them they won't be doing most of them. :hmm:

crossthebreeze and muscovyduck like this.
  9. NoXion

Well, I've already sent an email off to some recruitment opportunity, something I was keeping in my back pocket just for this kind of eventuality.

I suppose I will have to start work on my CV some point this week.

I was on Universal Credit before, :facepalm: and I still keep getting letters from them every month. What should I do about that?

10. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Hope you get another job sorted quickly NoXion - it sounds like a shit situation. :(

11. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

12. NoXion

Welp, I'm fucked for the next month. Apparently I am only getting about £60 tomorrow because I got ~£450 last month. Which has mostly been spent already. Apparently if I am having trouble paying for my electricity, I can get assistance from the local council.

You know what's really bad? I don't even have the energy to get properly angry. :(

13. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

There’s a joke in there...which I’m not going to make because your situation is dire and I feel for you. I’ve spent a lifetime (seemingly) with management having it in for me.

Solidarity and respect.

14. NoXion

Thank you, and yes I can see the funny side, I was almost cry-laughing when I wrote that.

15. NoXion

My sister is kindly giving me some money. It's not much as she and her partner are in the process of moving right now and are being ripped off by estate agents, but it will help.

Food banks are an option if the money runs out, but I live in Slough and there's a Langar close by. Anyone with experience of that?

16. farmerbarleymow

Hope you're OK and manage through the month.

NoXion likes this.
  17. cybershot

Get that CV sorted if you haven’t already. :)

18. NoXion

Great news! It's all happened rather quickly; had a group session and on-on-one interview on Tuesday which must have went well. Yesterday morning I had a Hazard Perception test, and it looks like I'll be working in the Rides and Attractions Department at Legoland Windsor from next month.

Only issue is that I'll have to shell out for a new birth certificate, but I reckon I can get the Jobcentre to reimburse me for that.

izz, blairsh, Riklet and 30 others like this.
  19. farmerbarleymow

Great news on your new job. :cool:

At least they're not too expensive (£9.25) if you have to wait for the money to be reimbursed.

Order a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate - GOV.UK

NoXion likes this.
  20. cybershot

We’re all thinking it. So I’ll say it.

Discount tickets for urbs? ;)

Congratulations on finding something quickly. How does it work during ‘close season’ or is it open all year round?

Sue, farmerbarleymow and NoXion like this.
  21. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

A "Hazard Perception Test" at Legoland conjures up images of applicants being made to walk barefoot across a messy bedroom floor...:D

22. NoXion

As I understand it, Legoland is closed during winter (apart from a brief spell at Christmas). Opening season starts on 9th March, although I opted to attend the induction on the 17th to give me time to sort various things out.

A380 and equationgirl like this.
  23. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Well done NoXion, that's great news :)

NoXion likes this.
  24. TruXta

TruXta tired

Congratulations mate :cool:

NoXion likes this.
  25. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

congratulation :)

NoXion likes this.
  26. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Have you got the spondoolies to get you through to payday?

NoXion likes this.
  27. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Well done & Good Luck !

NoXion likes this.
  28. NoXion

I got some pay on the 25th for the few days' work I managed to get in January. That should tide me over.

A380 and TopCat like this.
  29. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Well done on the new job. I'm always nervous starting new roles, if I was going to work at Legoland I'd be bricking it...

30. NoXion

I managed to get hold of a new copy of my birth certificate. Unfortunately it looks like the Jobcentre won't reimburse me. I had to pay over £20 for it, if I had gone for the cheaper option then it would not have arrived on time.

Thankfully I should be getting my Universal Credit payment the day before.