Help I need a replacement adapter, but I have no idea what to ask for.

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

My vestax record players adapter has just gone poof. Well actually it was my scanners adapter but apparently the correct voltage etc (never had the offical vestax one). What the hell do I ask for on the internet or in a shop????
    IMG_20180420_195353.jpg

This is the little bit at the other end. Obviously these are all different sizes too. Bit lost.

IMG_20180420_195409.jpg

2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Google the model number obvs

Eta or "vestax record player adapter" for example

:hmm:

3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

There is no model number, just a Vestax handy trax and there are different models. The one that always comes up on a Google is the usb version, which isn't mine.

4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

It's a 12V DC, 1.25Amp, centre-positive power supply.

But you'll need to measure the outside diameter of the round plug, and the inside diameter also, as they do vary

Nice toes, BTW :D

mauvais likes this.
  6. Saul Goodman

That's weird. The power supply is DC but that last picture says it's AC :confused:

7. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

Get a universal transformer. They have all the different adaptors. But you need to make sure the power rating is right. Your adaptor says it's 12v @ 1.25A but the pic on the back of the vestax it actually asks for 12v@300mA so you may have been overloading it anyway. Possibly why it's gone 'poof'.

8. souljacker

Oh yeah. That's a bit odd. Unless, under normal operation, it's designed to power itself directly from an alternator on a car.

9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Oh well its not the power supply that came with the record player. Been using it for years though.
    The record player says it wants a 12v AC 300ma adapter.

10. Saul Goodman

Alternators all have rectifiers built into them, so DC comes out, not AC.

It's a strange one.

11. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Been searching for a 12v ac 300ma adapter on line but can't find one. Don't really want a switchable if possible.

12. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  13. Saul Goodman

Then you want a 12V AC adapter. 500mv or more would be fine.

14. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

That's not how electricity works, is it?

15. Saul Goodman

No, it isn't.

gentlegreen likes this.
  16. souljacker

I have no idea how electricity works. It's basically magic as far as I'm concerned.

gentlegreen and Saul Goodman like this.
  17. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Your house supplies 240v and 16amps to your wall socket. That doesn't mean a devices connected to a socket will be forced to eat 16amps. It will have 240v across it though

mauvais likes this.
  18. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

EDIT: AM WRONG:

Anyway, I think AS needs a DC supply, not an AC one...
    Anyone else?

19. mauvais

You can use an overpowered charger (NOT overvoltage) without any problem. The current rating, e.g. 1A, is the maximum it can supply, which the equipment won't necessarily draw. The opposite, an underpowered supply, would cause problems.

Back on the subject of this equipment, the item in question really does seem to be 12V AC though, so a DC charger will have been doing something weird.

20. 2hats

2hats

Essentially, the key things are to get a DC power adapter of the correct voltage and sufficient current. It doesn’t matter if the current it provides is higher than that the device it is supplying is higher but try to pick one reasonably close (the device will only draw the current it needs, well provided it isn’t faulty, but in that case you have other problems anyway). Lastly, as mentioned above, make sure the pin polarity is correct. Another option is to get an all singing, all dancing adaptor with selectable voltage, sufficient current and changeable tips - places like Maplin (RIP) do them.

21. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Sure?

22. mauvais

No, I think it really is AC, from both the plate and looking up the item specs. It seems that certain AC devices, depending on circuit design, can run off DC so I guess that's why it worked. Not recommended though. What exactly would happen is beyond my knowledge.

Could most AC devices run off of DC rather than AC?

23. 2hats

2hats

Apparently not now (’scuse me). Searching around seems the Vestax adapters marketed in the states are indeed all AC/AC.

24. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

You just need an AC/AC power supply with a selection of plugs capable of delivering 300mA (or greater). Amazon, ebay etc all have them

25. Saul Goodman

I don't know how it's been working properly with that DC supply. The device will have a bridge rectifier in it, which rectifies the AC to DC. 12V AC run through a bridge rectifier will output just under 17V DC, but if you run DC through a bridge rectifier, you will get DC out but there will be a slight voltage drop of about 1V, so instead of the 16.968V DC, you'd only be getting 11.

mauvais likes this.
  26. 2hats

2hats

Maybe the ripple is really bad :p

27. Saul Goodman

Good thinking Batman :D

28. mauvais

Given a rudimentary American AC product, wouldn't you need to take frequency into account too? 60Hz expected in the US, 50Hz here, so you'd be looking to step down the voltage - 17V would convert to about 14V. Still off but less so. I've precisely no idea whether this still has any relevance when faced with supplying DC to it.

29. 2hats

2hats

Yup. The turntable would, if designed for 60Hz, run at 5/6 the rpm here. Separate issue from running an AC device off a ‘DC’ feed.

30. ATOMIC SUPLEX

It played records.