I love foxes

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by J Ed, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Teenage Cthulhu

Teenage Cthulhu Back at Easter Banned

There was a baby fox trapped in the walled garden of an old house we lived in. Good for photos :)

View attachment 80477

Greebo and bimble like this.
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

cute enough, I'm not a massive fan. Tank likes to roll in their shit.

aristos shouldn't be allowed to chase them down with dogs like they aren't but we all know they do anyway

Greebo likes this.
  3. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

I live near an offshoot of Epping Forest and we have lots round here. I regularly get followed by foxes when I'm out walking the dog late at night. They appear to be fascinated by him and just sit and watch him straining on the leash as he tries to get to them.

I love the way they appear to be both feline and canine - beautiful things.

Voley, bimble and two sheds like this.
  4. Lancman

Lancman Well-Known Member

Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen.

andysays likes this.
  5. campanula

campanula plant a seed

The red squirrel has more or less vanished from Thetford forest (one of it's last English mainland redoubts), although breeding reserves in Norfolk are still raising and sending the reds to island habitats such as Anglesey. I think there are less than 100,000 red squirrels surviving, as opposed to over 2.5 million greys. A sorry tale.

No lack of foxes though.

6. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I love foxes despite the fact that I once saw one on the lane outside my house with one of my chickens in its mouth. I screamed at the bastard and it just dropped Zandra (the chicken) and ran off. Zandra went off lay for a couple of weeks but no other harm done.
    I live on the edge of the moors now and we never see foxes but I see lots of deer. I love them too :)

Voley likes this.
  7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

A couple of (or was it three) years ago, I saw one our local foxes trotting past the antenatal ewes - looking for afterbirths - but one cantankerous old ewe saw him, she stamped her foot and the fox took evasive action pdq, but wasn't quite quick enough. The ewe put her head down and went after the fox. He changed course and leapt the field wall ... she stopped just in time to avoid colliding with said wall. I had to help catch her as she needed assistance in lambing a couple of days later and her horns were massive and well used !

8. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

A couple of pics I took when visiting my mum
    in Waltham Abbey in June.
    fox 1.jpg fox2.jpg

8115, Reno, izz and 4 others like this.
  9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

'A fox was once spotted riding an escalator out of London's Underground subway system. And in 2011, one was discovered roaming the top of the Shard, London's tallest skyscraper, while it was under construction. A local pest control manager who helped rescue the animal was quoted in Britain's Sun newspaper as saying, "The fox would have had to climb 71 sets of stairs and an old-fashioned ladder." :)
    In London, red foxes are plentiful and right at home

10. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Lovely fluffy creatures. Except one got into a friends chicken coop last night and killed all 7 hens and a cockerel.

11. BassJunkie

BassJunkie devotees straight on

I live a short walk from the Home Of The Foxes (those at the top, the fucking top of the Premier League!). I often see foxes as I walk home from my mate's late at night. I love them - they stop and look at me, but don't back down at all - they're like "Yeah, what are you doing on my patch?". I admire that. It is like being in the wild, even in the middle of the City.

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

I don't do many late shifts these days now i'm doing office hours, but did this evening what with it being xmas and so on.

had to slow down to let a fox cross the road on the way back to mum-tat's place :)

station fox not seen since early december though :( hope he got on a train to somewhere more interesting

13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I recently looked after someone's chickens. They didn't need much care, just feeding in the morning, letting out in the morning and putting away at night. Recently a fox managed to get into one of the chicken runs and it killed all 8 chickens. It didn't seem even to eat any of them, just killed them all.

I don't love foxes. I don't mind them too much, but killing chickens for no reason, that goes too far!

14. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

from what I was reading yesterday there is a significant chunk of the tories who would vote against cameron on his proposed look at the hunting act (with a view to bringing back the hunt proper).

expect it to go away then.

15. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

16. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

IMG_20160417_47486.jpg

She pops in every evening at about 5:30 hoping the cats have left some food ....she appears to have just had her cubs and is hungrier and cheekier than ever.

bimble, Greebo, Puddy_Tat and 5 others like this.
  17. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

What a beautiful creature

Greebo and clicker like this.
  18. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

SheilaNaGig, bimble and Puddy_Tat like this.
  19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

pleased to report that mum-tat still has foxes in her nature reserve / garden

:)

fox301217.jpg

taken through the kitchen window (hence slight reflections) yesterday.

fox about 6 ft from house.

2nd fox (bigger and fluffier) didn't hang around long enough to have their photo taken