I love foxes

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by J Ed, Dec 4, 2015.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

My family are also imports to this country. I'm shocked you should say this means our presence here is "unnatural".

I never thought I'd see the day there was such vile racism on Urban.

:(

So shocked I said it twice.

Libertad, 8den and Voley like this.
  2. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

It's a dilemma.

For years in the garden I only planted native species but I'm not a hugely good gardener and they weren't hugely successful. Apart from trees and bushes I've come to realize that another word for 'native species' is 'weeds'. But I still prefer native species over foreigners :( .

Greebo and Voley like this.
  3. danny la rouge

I'm appalled at your brazenness in saying this.

Voley likes this.
  4. two sheds

Send em all home :mad: start with the grey squirrels send em back to the USA I say.

[/speciesist]

Greebo and Voley like this.
  5. danny la rouge

What about potatoes?

bimble and Voley like this.
  6. two sheds

Ah no we can keep the ones that have jobs.

Libertad, JimW, Greebo and 3 others like this.
  7. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

They come over here, germinating our Earth. :mad:

Greebo and danny la rouge like this.
  8. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

On benefits, most of em, I've heard. EU subsidised, just sitting there all smug in the ground. :mad: Making a mockery of our decent British values. :mad:

Badgers, Libertad, moose and 4 others like this.
  9. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

[​IMG]

danny la rouge and family in hiding recently after being denounced on Urban as "unnatural"

10. two sheds

And worst thing is that they cross breed :mad: diluting our pure British stock.

Voley likes this.
  11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I live in a rural area - plenty of wildlife. The foxes keep the rabbit population in check, but as opportunists tend to go for roadkill as it is less work for them.
    I've told this tale at least once before, but ...
    I was driving to and from Newcastle regularly and most days, somewhere along the nearly 35 miles of back roads, I would see some wildlife. Ranging from badgers, foxes, rabbits down to stoats, hedgepigs, weasels and mice not to mention masses of birds.
    Anyway, this particular morning - just about dawn - I turned a sharp corner into another straight section of road in time to see a fox approaching. I could see that he was carrying something, so I slowed down as I was expecting him just to cross under the next gate back into the field (the usual route). he stopped next to a dead rabbit by the gateway, and whilst I watched he re-arranged the second with the one he was carrying already so he could pick up both by the back legs. He set off into the field with them hanging out either side of his mouth ... I wish I had had my camera with me.

crossthebreeze and Greebo like this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

P1010930.jpg
    He was not completely tame but we were friends for a while, me and this one. The next door neighbour then started campaigning for the elimination of the whole local fox population and for weeks I had a humane trap cage thing in the back garden, with bits of meat hanging in it, trying to catch him so he could be taken to safety by Bryan May at his fox sanctuary (true story). But he never did go in the cage.

13. two sheds

Hope he didn't get "eliminated" :(.

I did read a while ago that a difference between dog and fox intelligence is if you put food just out of reach of a dog he'll strain at the rope to get it, a fox will turn round and get it with his back legs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Greebo and bimble like this.
  14. bimble

bimble noisy but small

The law about how and where you are allowed to eliminate them meant that in the end my neighbour was frustrated in his ambitions - because you are only allowed to shoot them and you are not allowed to shoot anything that's very close to a school, and we had a school playground just over the back fence. But anyway, life expectancy for urban foxes is short, and I never knew if this one made it to start a next generation.
    He was definitely clever though - he saw the meat hanging in the cage, he wanted it, but decided it wasn't worth the risk of getting caged because he didn't know about Bryan May's sanctuary.

Libertad, two sheds and Greebo like this.
  15. Lancman

Lancman Well-Known Member

16. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Greebo and Puddy_Tat like this.
  17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

two sheds, JimW and Greebo like this.
  18. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

or maybe he wasn't a fan of bryan may's music?

fishfinger and bimble like this.
  19. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Gratuitous reposting...
    foxsmall.jpg

Puddy_Tat and bimble like this.
  20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Greebo and Puddy_Tat like this.
  21. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Fox on photographer.jpg

Not my picture

22. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I'm exercising restraint, have a whole album of baby photos here .. (it was a love story) DSC_0023.jpg

P1010714.jpg

izz, fishfinger, Greebo and 3 others like this.
  23. machine cat

machine cat nod from the big man as kosher Banned

Saw a fox a few weeks ago across the street. Did that thing where they clock you and just disappear.

Greebo likes this.
  24. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Where was that taken?

Joking aside, the major consequence of the introduction of grey squirrels has been the displacement from most parts of Britain of our native red squirrels. That's pretty much a done deal now, but we can hopefully learn from it and not allow similar things to happen in the future.

Lots of our now-established plants and animals are non-native, and the landscape would arguably be poorer if they were somehow all to be removed, even if that were possible.

(and of course the protecting of native species of flora and fauna from displacement by non-native species has nothing to do with any idea that some people are native to Britain, whereas others are not and should be kept out)

Greebo likes this.
  25. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

And bagers

26. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Can you imagine the takeaway menu ?
    But japaese knotweed, that should be repatriated, long as we can still have sushi.

27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Bryan's sanctuary is for them too. Home

28. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

Greebo, Epona and bimble like this.
  29. two sheds

The sycamore is furrin but now nearly Cornwall's national tree and tolerates salt so does well here. Get rid of them and there'd be huge gaps. It's the invasive ones that are a problem. Those bloody Japanese and their knotweeds.

well quite - we don't treat people like animals or vegetables and anyone who thinks we should needs to be buried up to their neck in compost and left to grow.

Greebo and andysays like this.
  30. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I still get the newsletter, it's great - True Life survival stories against the odds, that sort of thing, all on really cheap stapled bits of A4 :)

Greebo likes this.