I love foxes

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by J Ed, Dec 4, 2015.

1. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

During their mating season. I can often hear them in the front garden and jeeeze it's upsetting when it goes on and on and on and on.
    I have nearly gone down to tell Mr Fox to leave her the fuck alone before :D

Where I sit on the kitchen side board to have as smoke out the window, I can see the road and most nights see one a few times. :cool:

Greebo and Voley like this.
  2. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

;)

3. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Its part of a breezeblock i think.

4. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Not much impresses Bob.

Cid, peterkro, Voley and 1 other person like this.
  5. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Imagine that camping out in the middle of nowhere at 3am, 13 years old ,and with no idea wtf it was. :D

6. Voley

And a bit stoned, too, tbf. :D

Badgers likes this.
  7. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Few animal noises are more alarming - but I would have to put mating squirrel noises a notch higher on the 'OMFG someone is being murdered' list of animal sex noises. Utterly terrifying.

8. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

:D

No, it's chilling enough in the city when you do know what it is and your sober! :eek:

Greebo likes this.
  9. Voley

We had to make our own fun in them days. None of this Playstation stuff. Just good dope and pure terror.

Made me the man I am. :hmm:

BassJunkie, Libertad, Greebo and 4 others like this.
  10. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese massaged in hot chocolate

Foxes are beautiful. My cousins, who live with kangaroos and possums out the back, are always exited and charmed by them if they come and visit South London.

There's a handsome dogfox I often bump into on my way home from work on a path under the train tracks in Norbury. I can get to within a few feet of him. He meets my eye, sits down and poses like a don :D

11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

mum-tat usually has foxes living in her garden and cubs every few years

(she's about 2 streets back off the south circular road between catford and eltham)

Baby foxes2.jpg

Greebo, blairsh, lizzieloo and 6 others like this.
  12. Voley

Excellent thread J Ed btw. :)

Badgers and J Ed like this.
  13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

think i've posted this before, but until i got back in to full time work last year, i had a job where i tended to work late or night shifts - one in inner london didn't seem complete without seeing a fox or two on the way home.

(old) southwark, if i'd been working at london bridge, seemed to be the most fox-ful patch

started seeing one at or around my local station out here in berkshire on the way to / from work a few weeks ago, but not seen him / her for a couple of weeks now :(

14. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

We did invite pigeons... All city pigeons are feral and related to escaped pigeon fancies fanciers pigeons...i saw a wild pigeon for the first time last year... They live by sea cliffs

Starlings are the fox equivalent in the bird worked I reckon... Love a gang of starlings in a car park

Greebo, Epona, 8115 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ska invita

Saw a fox on fleet street in the daytime recently... Never seen one so central before

Greebo likes this.
  16. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Ah ok. Didn't know that.:)

What about squirrels?

17. Epona

One thing I haven't seen since moving to London (22 years ago or thereabouts) is fox cubs. Used to see them regularly at certain times of the year when I lived in a rural area. Adult foxes I see more regularly here. I guess they have their cubs stowed away somewhere safe in areas with a higher human population density and associated noise and traffic, and don't let them wander so much.

Greebo and ska invita like this.
  18. ska invita

I don't think there's such a thing as a squirrel fancier ;)

19. littlebabyjesus

Starlings roosting on Brighton pier. (And hastings pier, but not quite as many.) Wondrous sight.

Greebo and Celyn like this.
  20. littlebabyjesus

Bet there has. :eek:

ska invita likes this.
  21. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I think it's technically called a murmuration.

kittyP likes this.
  22. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

If you walk around the Southbank around sunset you'll see lots of them they have no fear of humans (although they are a bit skittish),I was told (and this may well be bollocks) that you don't see foxes often at beaches or riversides because gulls will come in mob handed and attack them,no one seems to have told the ones round here.

Greebo likes this.
  23. littlebabyjesus

Hmmm. Thinking about it, I never saw a fox in Hastings. See plenty in London. The gulls also compete with the foxes for the same food - our rubbish.

Greebo and Epona like this.
  24. Epona

True, feral city pigeons (rock doves) are the descendants of escaped or lost carrier/homing pigeons which were used extensively for long-distance communication before the era of widespread wired communication/telegraph/telephones etc.

There are a group of wood pigeons that live in the big ash tree outside our flat, there has been a pair there for as long as I have been here (moved here in 2001), they look very different than feral pigeons as they are much larger and have distinctive markings, and are wild birds.

Greebo likes this.
  25. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

You've never met my dog. :)

26. Epona

Is it just me, or is 'pigeons' one of those words where if you repeat it enough, it starts to sound like it's not a real word?

27. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

The first time I heard one I thought someone was torturing a baby and considered calling the police.

They are getting bolder and beefier round these ways.

28. Voley

Thing is, I hear it out on the moors now and I think it sounds great. Still sends a shiver down my spine but now I know what it is, it's one of those rare treats that nature throws at you. Like if you get to see an owl or a stoat. I love it.

Badgers and Greebo like this.
  29. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Grey squirrels were an "import" from north America, so although they're wild there's nothing natural about their presence here

Greebo likes this.
  30. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

My family are also imports to this country. I'm shocked you should say this means our presence here is "unnatural".

I never thought I'd see the day there was such vile racism on Urban.

:(

Voley likes this.