I love foxes

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by J Ed, Dec 4, 2015.

1. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

They are so nice, this fox is ripping apart rubbish bags in the flats opposite as I type this. I can't but admire the graft he is putting into doing it, I can't believe that people hunt them :(

2. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I love foxes too, the last vestige of true wildness in our cities. When I used to work in bars and clubs I saw a fox about 3 times in 15 years on the way home, always a magical moment to see one of these beautiful creatures crossing the road. They're so graceful.

Maybe not when they're ripping rubbish bags apart though :)

Chemical needs and Greebo like this.
  3. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I like watching them, we have a few around here including a really large and very old (grey around the muzzle and a bit doddery) tod that has been here for years. One of my cats sits on the windowsill and howls when he sees a fox, I don't think he realises that he is a really little cat and that foxes are a lot bigger than him!

When I was in my last place (also in London), got in trouble with the caretaker of the council block (and consequently the council) for allegedly taking my rubbish to the bins and then ripping them open and strewing my rubbish over a wide area. Thankfully the council accepted the logic that there would be no reason for me to put my rubbish bags in the communal bin then rip them open and strew my rubbish across the street, and that it was probably foxes, and perhaps they should fix the broken shutters on the bin access area. The caretaker never did manage to wrap his head around it though, and used to give me evil looks every time he saw me.

Chemical needs and Greebo like this.
  4. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Me too. If I were to have in the magical sense a familiar, it is a fox.

5. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Love it when I see them round my way. Down here at Lands End they look a bit more healthy and bushy-tailed than city foxes. They must eat well down here. It's great when you're driving home and you catch one in your headlights - you get a quick glimpse of him looking back over his shoulder as he nips over a hedge. I love that.

Badgers and Greebo like this.
  6. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

Neighbour feeds them, so get lovely sight of three foxes and two badgers going yum yum yum of an evening.

Apparently if you feed them in the countryside they don't go on their normal nightly route so other foxes can come in the area and take it over so causing problems if you stop feeding them.

The strewn bags of rubbish are more a comment on us than on the foxes, they work with what they're given. :)

7. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Yep. Seeing a fox always makes me feel that teeny bit better about life in a big city.

Greebo and two sheds like this.
  8. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Its a nice feeling to have them around. There must a den nearby as we regularly hear them & very often have them sleeping in our garden. Also had one nibble my fingers on a drunken walk home many years ago. Earlier this year when our newer cat disappeared for a few days we went out looking for him with a pouch of Dreamies a fox took some straight from ms starfishs hand.

Greebo and Voley like this.
  9. two sheds

10. two sheds

awwwwwww

starfish likes this.
  11. 8115

Little known fact (to me) which I think I share every time foxes get mentioned on here, foxes absolutely stink, of fear and the wild, like the worst piss smell you would imagine times a hundred. I gave a farmer a hug once and was like, what the fuck do you smell of and he said "a fox", although maybe I didn't get the full story and it was actually a very scared fox for a reason. I'd love to know if foxes really do smell like that.

Greebo and 8den like this.
  12. littlebabyjesus

(((pigeons)))

kittyP likes this.
  13. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I spoke to the "Fox man" at Bernie Spain gardens a few weeks ago,he feeds them and looks after them (he imports some medicine from the states for mange).The one he was with (they won't let him touch them but they will curl up along side him on the low wall where he sits) I'd seen a few weeks before and it looked on the way out after he cared for it it looked fit as a butchers dog,nice bloke.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Voley

If you're camping, a vixen's cry is the most unearthly thing ever, mind. Scared the shit out of me first time I heard it. Sounds like a crying child. At 3am. In the middle of nowhere.

15. littlebabyjesus

Yep. They make an extraordinary noise. Small price for having them around, imo.

16. 8115

Rats with wings. They're basically domesticated in the city Imo.

17. littlebabyjesus

We didn't invite them, though. They just came with us. Like the foxes.

Be interested to know if city foxes can also now survive in the country.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  18. 8115

What are their homes called? Dens? Sets?

19. Voley

Sure. Proper spine-tingling first time I heard it though. I was 13, I think, out camping by the beach. Big horror fan film at the time. Terrifying. :D

Badgers, Greebo and littlebabyjesus like this.
  20. Epona

Fox piss does reek to high heaven. Something I haven't really smelled since living in London (even though there are probably more foxes per square mile here) due to living in upstairs flats - but when I lived in a rural area you could definitely tell if a fox had weed in your garden, fox piss is a really strong smell. Worse than cat piss squared.

crossthebreeze and Greebo like this.
  21. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Set I think,had one under the broken steps to the basement when I lived in Villa road,brazen fuckers.

22. 8115

British Wildlife Centre information says they have their young in an "earth", often a dug out badger sett or rabbit burrow.

23. two sheds

Tame russian silver foxes :cool:

Man's new best friend? A forgotten Russian experiment in fox domestication

I want a fox but apparently if you take them on walks other dogs will attack them :(

24. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

This is a pic one of our nieces took from our kitchen the other year. Its been posted before but this thread seems appropriate for a pearoast. IMG-20120623-WA0000.jpg

Cid, Greebo, J Ed and 8 others like this.
  25. Epona

Yep fox burrows are called an earth.

peterkro likes this.
  26. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Dens.
    And don't speak ill of pigeons :(

27. Epona

What is that thing on the shed/leanto roof that it appears to be trying to grab?

28. littlebabyjesus

Ginger cat's totally not bothered.

kittyP and starfish like this.
  29. 8115

Sorry :(

30. Voley

Here you go:

Scared the shite out of me. :cool: :D