1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate iTunes

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Beats & Pieces, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces Go on then...try. Banned

So. iTunes.

I have an iPod Classic, and increasingly my frustration with the machine and software has grown significantly. I hate the interface, I hate the 'extras' that Apple seems to think I might want (video etc.), I hate the compression Apples uses, I hate the fact that migrating files loses id tags.

I hate iTunes.

Is this just me?

2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow minty pea sweetcorn goodness

Not just you. I've got an ipod too, and it's gathering dust somewhere. I got so fucked off with the shitty desktop software I deleted it years ago.

Badgers likes this.
  3. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Get with the program grandads

Schmetterling and ringo like this.
  4. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

I have a Windows computer. The phone I use now yes an iPhone, I am evil et cetera. I haven't even plugged into iTunes. It is a fucking atrocious bit of software, fortunately I don't need to use it though. I generally hate any software that tries to "manage "your media.

5. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Best thing I ever did was let iTunes take care of my media. Before I used to spend hours renaming files and folders, and editing id tags etc. Why waste my precious time doing that shit?

6. Beats & Pieces

Does anyone have any recommendations for possible alternatives? I have looked online but would appreciate some input based on experience with functions etc.

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

For music, I use my android phone. For stitched up reasons above i'll not touch Apple, it gives me the pip.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

iTunes is one of the worst pieces of software ever invented.

9. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

iTunes is awful but once it's done, it's kind of acceptable.

I too have an iPod Classic - 256GB SSD! - and with a combination of managing my music folders myself, Tag & Rename and iTunes Folder Watch, it works well enough. That's all I use iTunes for, managing the iPod.

10. CrabbedOne

CrabbedOne Walking sideways snippily

I use it mainly for podcasts. Like a lot of things Apple it is a bit shite.

It always had an irritating habit of ceasing to download shows if you hadn't listened to them for a while in order to save resources. Wasn't able to transfer them off my old Apple to a new one as the software for that was buggered. So for a while I used the connect to another library feature to hook up to the old machine. Got tired of that breaking down every 20 minuets. So ended up just resubscribing on the new machine. They've recently had the genius idea of randomly leaving podcast episodes up in the cloud.

Oh well, Steve Jobs was right bastard and his spirit lives on in some Scrum session in California.

11. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Soulseek. It's been excellent for over 15 years for me.

rubbershoes likes this.
  12. Beats & Pieces

I took a quick look at that - it appears to be a P2P platform, which I'm not that keen on. I will read more.

13. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Soulseek works for me too

eta just noticed the OP was after music management rather than p2p

14. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

OK, in which case Soulseek is only good for downloading the music in the first place. I didn't know there were other things which purport to organise it all for you - I just name the file with "Artist name - track title".

15. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN

Plays anything. iTunes is indeed a dreadful piece of software. The only thing I use it for is to back up my phone.