1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't like HDR, am I a wrong un?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Jul 15, 2017.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

When I can observe that an image is HDR I usually think the photographer has overcooked it and I don't usually like the result.

What are your views on HDR?

I suppose if a photographer had used HDR and I didn't notice and liked the picture then I would like HDR, but I don't think that has happened.

Anyhow, HDR, do you love it?

2. Tankus

Tankus random farter

I quite like a mild application ....

weltweit likes this.
  3. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Sailing a gravy boat

A little bit of woooaah and a little bit of weeyyy is how I see it

4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It allows you to see things in images you wouldn't otherwise be able to. It's a bit like x-rays or flash. Obviously not every image taken using these techniques is aesthetically pleasing, but these techniques aren't to be disliked because of that.

weltweit and Cheesypoof like this.
  5. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

I hate it. It's like taking a regular image, and trying to make it look like a cartoon drawing.

I'm talking about the overdone stuff; which seems to be a lot of it.

I read somewhere that if it's been properly applied, the viewer won't even know it's there. If it was like that, I'd be ok with it.

RoyReed, weltweit and editor like this.
  6. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

i dont know much about it, would like a decent camera though (have been advised already). I'm a good amateur photographer, so i been told. I have a good eye, but its an area I would like to explore further.

weltweit likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Done with subtlety and skill it can bring a bit of life and depth to a photo in need of a bit of a lift.

Trouble is, most people adding HDR turn their images into saturated cartoon versions of a photo with ridiculously boosted colours with weird distorted hues. In general: not a fan at all.

AuntiStella, RoyReed and weltweit like this.
  8. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Photographers have so much photo editing software at their disposal these days - and the inclination is to go heavy on the sliders. I suppose it's the theory that more of a good thing is a better thing.

But as they say, sometimes less is more.

RoyReed and weltweit like this.
  9. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I use it a lot for architectural interiors to control the contrast range, but I only use it just enough to make the contrast match what your eye sees. I use a version of HDR called exposure fusion or tone mapping that doesn't tend to create those appalling effects which some people seem to love. And even then I use a light touch and under- rather than over-do it.

wayward bob and weltweit like this.
  10. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

I must admit, I am not a fan of the overdone HDR image - they look fake with the false detail and colours. However, the minor tweaking variety (the sort that gives some extra detail to clouds) can be acceptable.

I don't do HDR myself, preferring to keep things simple.

11. weltweit

I would have to bracket manually because bracketing is a function that doesn't seem to work on my camera. It has it, it just doesn't work.

12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Doesn't work in what sense?

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

HDR is the most desperately untrendy thing there is. In fact it may even be due for a revival just on that basis, just to annoy photo nerds.

wayward bob likes this.
  14. weltweit

The function is there on the dial, but it just doesn't work..

15. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Probably need to read the manual! I don't use it but I remember it being unusual to operate.

16. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

it appeals to me in the sense that it represents more realistically the wider perceptive range of human vision vs film/digi representations. but then i go a long way to *exclude* extraneous stuff in an image, drawing attention to particular details. i guess too busy would be my main problem...

17. weltweit

Yes probably RTFM applies here :)

18. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

see also: selective colour effects :thumbs:

19. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

The real thing (ie.10 bit colour and an OLED or active backliit screen) is pretty impressive.

20. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've been loving the way the colours pop taking photos on my Samsung recently in copper mines. We are doing all the lighting by torch light and what realistic colours are is very subjective obviously with its natural state being dark.