1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am totally on an actual mofoing steam train!!!!

Discussion in 'transport' started by mrs quoad, Jun 17, 2017.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

FACK YEAH.

In about seven minutes, we will actually go somewhere.

IMG_7836.JPG

IMG_7837.JPG

Also, it turns out that they're not very good at understanding how to ticket children <4. (I was thinking this meant free.)

IMG_7830.JPG

RubyToogood, bmd, OzT and 15 others like this.
  2. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Have a chuffing good time!

3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

4. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Love the moors railway!

mrs quoad likes this.
  5. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I got the steam train from Corfe to Swanage a few years ago and people do wave at you from their gardens :thumbs:

6. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

mrs quoad likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. hash tag

I haven't say mrs quoad you sound well chuffed.

mrs quoad likes this.
  9. mrs quoad

Erm. The bluebell line sort of came close, but that's 0.5 miles. And on the day we went, iirc they pulled out a diesel. (Tbf, my wife and I have differing recollections about that. I might check.)

I think my broad conclusions about today are of the kind that, with a remotely critical eye, are blindingly chuffing obvious.

These include the astute observation that being in a carriage is not the best place from which to see a steam locomotive in action; that old trains rarely have air con, and can get really really fucking hot on beautiful days; and that a 2.9 year old is probably not best suited to any kind of 4 hour journey. (I tell a lie, he fucking loved spending 4.5 hours (was it 5.5?!) on an open topped sightseeing bus, repeating the same 1hr loop).

He was unkeen to get off at any of the stops, and was really struggling towards the end of the day. (He fell asleep mid sentence in the car, and crawled straight to the sofa and fell asleep once home).

However, the surroundings were lovely. The first hour was blinding. The locos, when seen, were stunning (and iirc we passed either three or four going the other way on our return leg!), and the staff (all volunteers?) beyond incredible. Whitby, too, was lovely. Overall, a pretty darned good day.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    RubyToogood, bmd, A380 and 4 others like this.
  10. hash tag

kebabking likes this.
  11. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

'tis nice - fish and chips on the beach, at which point my children all went in the sea without bothering to get changed first, a boat trip, and an excuse to spend the day doing my utterly shit Dracula impression, much to the disgust and embarrassment of all those blighted by being my family.

Lovely place in a lovely area - high moorland, beaches, market towns, seaside resorts, and a steam train. What more could you want?

A380 and hash tag like this.
  12. hash tag

Now planning a few days away in the area later in the year; suggestions?

13. kebabking

yeah, don't plan on a few days - make it a fortnight, and bring all your stuff so you don't have to go home...

Whitby itself is really nice - not picture postcard 'cute' like Cornwall or the Cotswolds, but a proper place in gorgeous surroundings with lots of interesting architecture and everything you need for a holiday.

North York Moors are fantastic walking country, and dead easy to access without any effort - simply get out of the car and off you go.

the local market towns - Malton, Pickering, Helmsley, Thirsk, Ripon, Northallerton, Richmond - are lovely, lovely places. lots of interesting shops, places to eat and drink, pretty, historic, and interesting.

if you've got young kids who are into Cbeebies you could pop up to Staithes and win massive brownie points - gorgeous little fishing village thats the home to 'Old Jacks Boat'. i don't think you can take the car down into the village, so if you've someonme who isn't a fan of hills it might be worth checking it out before you turn up.

Saltburn-by-the-Sea is a grand old place, its got a funicular of some type and amazing old victorian hotels and a really pretty Italian garden. had fantastic fish and chips there. good beach.

York is the big one. the Minster is rightfully a huge draw, but if you can, walk the walls. i could walk around York from dawn till dusk for a month and not tire of it.

Durham is doable depending on where you stay - well worth it, again its a walking place rather than a car place, the Cathedral cafe does excellent cakes...

Robin Hoods Bay is great for fossil hunting.

the ruined Abbeys at Fountain and Rievaulx - fantastic places.

couple of personal reccomendations about accommodation - Woodlea, Rosedale Abbey, North York Moors. Hill House Farm Cottages, nr Northallerton. Cote Gyll holiday park, Osmotherly for camping and caravanning - theres a YHA next door as well. the Bar Convent, York - yes, its a convent :thumbs:...

mrs quoad, hash tag and editor like this.
  14. hash tag

Cheers for all that. It will be with the elderly in laws whose mobility wasn't what it was. We have individually done York a few times. I'm dead keen on Durham and Beamish. Would like to take in Whitby, maybe Scarborough, also see bamburgh and lindesfarne properly as opposed to when I'm drunk and stoned. Berwick also a possibility.
    I remember having a womantic stay in the Lord Crewe a while back, sadly not appropriate this time. Ideally, for ma in law, we will stay somewhere by the sea.
    BTW. Mrs tag has stayed in the convent in York. Cheap n central :thumbs:

15. mrs quoad

Are you sure it's still there?

Bits of a convent have become student halls. I'm not sure what the overlap w the old convent / rooms to rent is.

16. kebabking

given your wish list, i'd stay as far north as possible - i love the Northumberland coast, but shit me, its a loooooonnnnnnnggggggg way from the rest of the world!

its still accepting bookings...

hash tag likes this.
  17. hash tag

The wish list is not set in stone.
    1. Durham
    2. Beamish
    3. Bamburgh
    Probably

18. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Going inland a bit Jerveaux abbey near Masham is nice - privately owned ruin with honesty box at the gate, no gift shops or manicured lawns, quiet, pretty wild, lots of flowers and wildlife. Near to Brymor's ice cream parlour which is worth a visit (rhubarb crumble and elderflower flavours in particular recommended). Masham itself has a brewery you can go round and nice pubs.

hash tag and kebabking like this.