I am in the Bon Accord Centre

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by danny la rouge, Sep 21, 2013.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge arbiter of taste and expert in all things right

We're dropping off the eldest for her first year at university. Got her into her room etc, now we're in town for a look about & some thing to eat before dropping her back at halls.

Where can I get a cheap kettle?

Greebo likes this.
  2. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

If you want some thing to eat, you can certainly do better than a kettle.

Supine, ska invita and tar1984 like this.
  3. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Argos but that's in the Trinity centre. So long since I was downtown in Aberdeen I don't know if there is more than one argos. Go out of BA, go through St Nicks centre, cross Union St into Trinity centre.
    Tbh I would have gone to asda/tesco on the way into town :)
    Town centre on a Saturday afternoon???? :eek:

Forgot to say it's at the 'back' on the left just before the exit for the train station, you can't miss it tbh :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    spirals, Greebo and danny la rouge like this.
  4. danny la rouge

Cheers, Gem. Will check that out.

5. danny la rouge

:D That's a different paragraph.

6. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

That must be a bitter/sweet thing to do, danny. Is she excited? I was at that time. Mixture of looking forward to having my own place of sorts mingled with a bit of trepidation.

Greebo likes this.
  7. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The other Argos stores are at Berryden Retail Park, or at Portlethen.

And this is a particularly bad Saturday to be in town as well - Several major roads are closed/restricted for repairs and the "Alternative Transport" demo has closed some more.

Not that the alternative transport thing is a bad idea but I see this one focuses on at least two classes of transport that are going to be banned from any future pedestrian zones in Aberdeen at the behest of the bus and taxi interests. So its a bit of a non-starter really! :(

8. pogofish

There are a couple of shops down George St that might do you a cheap kettle as well - that's out the John Lewis end of the centre but sadly, Square One - Aberdeen's last remaining traditional hardware/gloryhole shoppie has just closed down. :(

If she's at halls in Old Aberdeen, There are various stores at the retail park on Bedford Road, which runs behind the Library (Ice Cube) building - TK maxx and a Staples, which should be useful to a student.

9. danny la rouge

We're home now.

She's very excited, and rightly so. And it's great that she's off doing her own thing. I couldn't be prouder of her. But I didn't say much to the missus on the way home, for fear my voice would crack, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, she's doing what we raised her to do: make a life for herself. We'll just have to learn to adjust.

Plus I'll know where my Beefheart & Pixies CDs are now! There's always an upside.

10. danny la rouge

Cheers Pogo. She's at Hillhead.

We didn't find a kettle, so she'll have to get one herself. But it's probably no bad thing that she has to go to the kitchen to boil water to begin with.

pogofish likes this.
  11. geminisnake

It's hard when they start to 'break away' :) Been there. I'm sure I have vague memories of you posting about the youngest starting school!!

danny la rouge likes this.
  12. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

13. danny la rouge

I know. I've been through it all on here!

14. Lemon Eddy

Lemon Eddy Disliked by dwyer

Heh. I was living right next to that place up till last year, at the Brig O'Balgownie.

Tell her not to jump off the bloody bridge come the summer. It's the usual pissed-up student dare when the weather's nice, and a good proportion of the jumpers knock the shit out of themselves if they hit bad.

15. danny la rouge

How did you cope? I know it's only been a few days, but I'm honestly heartbroken. I feel bereaved, which just seems so over-the-top. After all, the whole idea was that she'd grow up and be independent! I'm pleased about that, but I still feel terrible. Why is it so hard?

16. geminisnake

It does feel like a bereavement imo. It felt like there was a hole in my heart! I really can't remember(joys of an ABI) what I did to cope at the time. I probably cried a few times, but only if there was no-one around.

It took me ages to get the hang of portions for tea too!! (((danny)))

17. geminisnake

Has the pain dulled to a sort of ache yet?? danny la rouge It should do. While I was hanging out the washing I realised I think I smoked a bit more than usual just after boy left home, but if you don;t smoke that's not really helpful.
    Hope she's settled in and having fun :)

18. pogofish

19. danny la rouge

Yes, it has, thanks. And she's having a great time. We've Skyped & texted.

I'm not a smoker.

20. marty21

I don't remember my dad being that arsed when I went to uni :D I think I'd have preferred more concern from him tbf

ska invita likes this.
  21. danny la rouge

We're up for a visit. We're leaving Remaining Teen for a stay over, and she'll get the train back tomorrow.

geminisnake likes this.
  22. marty21

hopefully she is settling in - I found my first month miserable, missed home, missed my mates, and didn't seem to get to know anyone I liked:( it seemed to get better the 2nd month though

23. geminisnake

How old is remaining teen?? Iirc there's only a couple of years between them. Is remaining teen of age? Friday night in Aberdeen?? :eek: ;)

24. danny la rouge

There's 4 years between them. They're both underage: 13 & 17. (Their birthdays are next month).

25. geminisnake

Should be fine then :)
    Both Imbolc babies?? ;)

26. danny la rouge

My birthday is the 2nd of February...

27. pogofish

Don't bank on it! - If they lack suitable ID, there are still several clubs that have an "age test" Passing which is a fairly slobbery affair.

28. geminisnake

LOL :D @ post 26 :D

29. pogofish

I am in there right now - fuck, its still a grim place on a dull Monday.

30. danny la rouge

Did you get a free sample of soft cinnamon pretzel at the door, though?