Hummus!

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by electrogirl, Oct 25, 2006.

1. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I'm making a big batch of it today as have got time on my hands today and a pressure cooker. Apparently lots of people, including Ottolenghi recommend adding some bi carb to chickpeas when they soak! I'm going to give it a go. :hmm:

Think I'm going to try this as well. :)

mojo pixy and FabricLiveBaby! like this.
  2. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's been about 10 years since I last made it!

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Ah. Forgot to check the date when I bumped this. :D

4. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Whenever I go to the smoke, I always bring back the zorba make of humous - it's my favourite - so gritty. Can't get it in Bristol.

5. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

6C6E37F2-DA09-4EA9-BDAA-5BED9B2DEBF7.jpeg Opportunity to show the best hummus I have ever had.

6. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

7. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

^ that
    looks amazing.

Apropos of hummous, anyone in London who likes the stuff ought to check out Abu Zaad on Uxbridge Road in Shepherds Bush. Syrian restaurant, lovely guys, delightful food. Amazing hummous(es, because they do it in a few different ways, as is correct)

Same people as own the Damas Gate supermarket up the road, so some of what they sell (falafels, kubbeh, rice in vine leaves, baklavas etc) is on sale there.

EtA, also the hummous. in great big tubs too.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    trabuquera likes this.
  8. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! /wɜːst tɜːf ɒn ɜːθ/

I've been doing it that way for years after accidentally coming across a blog which I now cannot find :(

Also, if you soak the chickpeas before hand with bicarb it makes it creamier PLUS you make the most banging falafel that way!

mojo pixy and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  9. mojo pixy

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  10. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Remember to rinse off the bicarb before using the chick peas or it tastes terrible, and fizzes when you add the lemon juice.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  11. mojo pixy

I tend to mix up tahini by itself then add it to the plain mashed peas. But I've never seen two people make hummous the same way, it always turns into a cheese / beans thing at some point. What, you add oil? etc

Butterbeans make great hummous too, a half/half mix is amazing.

existentialist likes this.
  12. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

anyone got any tips for skinning the chick peas?

I might try making babaganoush for a change.

13. mojo pixy

When they're nearly cooked and boiling hot, tip off the boiling water (keep it) and pour on cold water. The skins ought to split and float off, catch them with a slotted spoon. Swish the peas around to loosen more, but not too hard or they'll mash. When you're happy with how many skins are off, put the peeled peas back in to finish boiling if they need a little more softening.

Or keep the skins on and eat them. Top fibre.

14. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I always make a load when my sis-in-law visits - trying to persuade her that homemade is better than bought. I’m quite partial to adding sun dried tomatoes or/and pickled jalapeños for a cheeky variation on the traditional version. She’s turning up next week so will have to check the cupboards and see my chickpea stash is fit for purpose.