1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hummus!

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by electrogirl, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

and vitamin D if you use dark rather than light tahini. I live on hummus :cool:

2. May Kasahara

May Kasahara channelling Lynda Day

I take back most of what I was saying about shopbought hummus earlier. I'm pissed on white wine right now and the Coop hummus I've just eaten was as garlicky as a Frenchman.* It's all good.

* PC types please note stereotype cleared by The Simpsons.

3. Manmasi

Manmasi New Member

Yarden

Is THE brand for hummus in UK, it's imported from Israel, it's very nice. You can buy it in the Tesco on Goodge St and Jewish shops in Golders. I am a hummus snob and wouldn't eat UK maufactured stuff if you paid me!! Yes, Hummus Bro's on Wardour St are good (and family friends of mine!).

4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Quite apart from the spelling issues, how the feck do you pronounce it?

We were arguing about this the other day and there were three schools of thought.

HUMM- us
    HUGH-mus
    WHO-mus

Which is correct?

5. Manmasi

Manmasi New Member

pronounced: Hum-us

And the spelling is 'hummus'

6. iROBOT

iROBOT CURRENTLY RE-BOOTING

Which it may be, but may I applaud the use of the exclamation mark in the OP.

7. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

anyone got tips for garlic breath? i ate loooooads of hummus last night and am worried about killing someone.:(

8. Maggot

Maggot If specified, this will replace the title that

Eat some Cardommon seeds.

9. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

keep y'mouth shut. mints will work temporarily and then people will start looking round for the source of minty garlickyness. then in a few hours the garlic will start coming out on your skin (if it hasn't already). I'm having garlicky cheese on toast for tea.muaahahaahhahha.

10. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I make houmus all the time. My top tip is to warm the oil in a pan, add the garlic, salt and pepper and a little nutmeg. When the garlic has melted a little (really is just a warm, not a cook) then add the tahini and lemon juice and stir.

You can taste the mix and get it right before mixing it with the chick peas and blending it.

I chuck in chopped parsely or coriander sometimes.

I tried dry chick peas a few times, and came to the conclusion that the expense, effort and flavour was worse than tinned chickpeas.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  11. exleper

exleper is on your ignore list

my housemate introduced me to my current favourite sandwich - hummus, mature cheddar and salami. absolutely delicious and just as good (if not better) when made as a toastie. i fucking love hummus and its nice to add to a pizza at the last minute (it goes a funny colour/texture if you put it on from the start).

12. Juice Terry

Juice Terry rama lama fa fa fa

For the complete chick pea overload I always line my pitta with lashing of hummus when I do falafels. Add some hot chilli sauce, garlic mayo, tomato salsa to cut through the tahini, a bit of salad and you have created food heaven.:)

disclaimer: All the chick peas used in the making of this dish have been lovingly soaked overnight from dry.

13. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

good call. :cool:

14. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

Tahini is better.

and my favorite.

15. Nixon

Nixon peanut butter n.w.o.

It's houmous.I love the stuff too.My dad used to make the best red pepper stuff :)

16. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

These are illegal imports according to EU trading rules with Israel. Yarden products are made on the Katzrin settlement in the Golan Heights. It shouldn't be labelled as coming from Israel, and it couldn't be imported under the EU/Israel Association agreement if it was labelled as coming from a settlement in the Occupied Territories.

17. KellyDJ

KellyDJ New Member

Their houmous topped with roasted peppers is great too.

18. J77

J77 residing

:confused:

That's like saying tomato sauce is better than baked beans :D

19. pembrokestephen

pembrokestephen New Member

Heh, one way of ensuring I don't buy a product is to label it as "Made In Israel". So they're free to carry on doing so, because I can't see them ever saying "Made in land we stole from our neighbours and now occupy in violation of international law" and fooling me into buying the stuff...

20. Greebozz

Greebozz Apologies if I don't reply, may not your see post. Banned

Is there any way to preserve a big batch of homemade hummas

21. killer b

i can't see any reason not to freeze it, although i've never done it myself...

22. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

Agreed, but whilst not everyone consciously boycotts Israeli goods, many would balk at buying anything from the settlements (indeed, many Israelis avoid buying stuff from the settlements). Given that the EU doesn't allow the import of produce from the settlements but Israel consistently gets away with illegally labelling these products as "made in Israel", it's at least useful to know where brands such as Yarden, Ahava, Achva Halva and Beigal are really made.

Especially when someone comes on Urban advertising the stuff. :mad:

23. pembrokestephen

Yes. There are two ways.

One is to eat it.

The other is to freeze it. I suggest freezing it into moderately sized portions, otherwise you have to defrost a big fuckoff pile of it just to get a bit to go with yer falafels...

24. pembrokestephen

*nods*

25. Greebozz

Greebozz Apologies if I don't reply, may not your see post. Banned

Thanks killer and pem' will give it a try.

26. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

I love houmous, and luckily live near a couple of good mediterranean stores that sell big tubs of the stuff for the same price as the poxy little ones they sell in supermarkets. Lovely in pittas with roasted vegetables and halloumi cheese.

I quite fancy making my own though. Is it possible without a blender?

27. killer b

course it is. i expect it'll be quite a tedious job, mind...

mortar & pestle, crush all the chickpeas up as small as you can be bothered, same with the garlic, then mix in all the other ingredients. it'll probably be a lot coarser than a blended hummus, but it'll still taste lush.

i'd buy a food processer though - you can pick 'em up cheap enough, and they're very useful.

28. Mmmhh I love hummus/houmus/etc...

I usually make my own but Sainsbury's do a really nice lemon and coriander one, mmmmmhhh!! Actually, I'm gonna make that today. :cool:

29. killer b

coriander is my favourite addition to hummus. although i'd go for lime over lemon...

30. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Lime Houmous? Yuck!

That Yarden Houmous is horrible too. Slightly sweet and flavourless.

The turkish stuff is the don.