Hummus!

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by electrogirl, Oct 25, 2006.

1. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

My tastes are maturing still, despite being 22 and despising it up intil now, i now adore....hummus!

However, I have a few questions. Is it good for you? Where is best to buy it? I bought some in Scummerfield, some low fat stuff (it was all tehy had) and it's alright, but it has a weird aftertaste.

Oh and how do you spell it? Hummus? Houmus? Houmuss? Confusion.
    Hummus lovers unite!

2. astral

astral author unknown

go to Tescos and buy their finest range caramelised onion hummous.

it is quite possibly the best thing ever.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  3. J77

J77 residing

Make your own!

Basic recipe:

4 olive oil, 5 tahini, chick peas, garlic, lemon juice and whizz :cool:

We also make an aubergine dip thin - mahoula (sp?)

Roast and aubergine and mash-up with garlic and tahini :)

Goes lovely with bread from my local Kurdish baker :)

existentialist likes this.
  4. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

The roast aubergine one sounds like babaganoush J77 - lush :cool:

5. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

The best commercially made houmous I've come across is the Moroccan one from M&S - it's got chickpeas and caramelised onions on the top and it's the closest thing to houmous heaven there is.

6. dolly's gal

dolly's gal killing things

hummous is lush, and while it is good for you (cheakpeas, olive oil, lemons, all that good shit) i wouldn't eat too much of it on a diet. the olive oil makes it quite high in calories :)

7. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

Had some home made stuff the other day, twas very good though think she'd used some different oil?...walnut or sesame prehaps?:confused:

8. Jenerys

Jenerys Stormborn

Oh yes, that's the dogs :)

9. Wookey

Wookey Playful as a pussy cat

What I Like

Take a nice pitta bread, slice a crescent along one side, and douse it liberally in lemon juice. Grill for thirty seconds on each side.

Take out, and spread a thick layer of humous inside, then stuff with strong cheddar cheese, and perhaps a few diced black olives.

Stick back under the grill until the cheese is melted.

Eat, licking your fingers regularly.

This isn't just food.

It's heart attack food.:)

10. J77

J77 residing

Mixing hummus with natural yogurt makes a lovely kebab filling - with some tomatoes and lettuce :) :cool:

11. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

if you do make it yourself (which you should do - it's much cheaper), use the dried chickpeas rather than the tinned ones - it takes longer to prepare, as you have to soak and cook the pulses, but it tastes much nicer.

12. J77

J77 residing

yeah - but if you use the tinned, it's pretty instant - as long as the food processor's to hand :)

Faster than going to the shops.

13. killer b

i used to use tinned all the time, but it seems to have a nasty aftertaste...

14. J77

J77 residing

We should have a best brand thread :D

15. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

There is a hummus restaurant in Wardour Street Soho. When it opened I thought it must be a front, who would base a restaurant around hummus. But its always pretty busy and is still open a year on

16. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

Hummus bros IIRC

17. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

If you are anywhere near the Hackney area, go to one of the Turkish shops and get the stuff they make. You'll get about triple the amount that you'd get from any supermarket and it will be excellent quality.

18. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Yeah, you get the good store-bought shit in Turkish supermarkets. They also quite often do really nice seed-encrusted bread that goes well with it. I'd still recommend making your own though: cheap, delicious and you can control how garlicky it is (great for people like me whose garlic-soaked tastebuds barely register mainstream supermarket stuff anymore).

19. Herbsman.

Herbsman. Free the Poppy

Mmmmm I love hummus

All the benefits of chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and sesame seeds (Essential fatty acids, protein, vitamin c, and whatever it is in garlic) spread into a pitta full of roast mediterranean vegetables... mmmmmmmmm

I used to buy a bag of plain doritos, a carrot and a pot of own brand hummus from the tes-co 24hr garage back in the day (like 2 years ago). I eventually got sick of the stuff and moved on to guacamole. Now if you think hummus is nice, guacamole is sheer heaven imo

20. 2 Hardcore

2 Hardcore mad old bat

And the one they do with rocket.
    (Sainsburys Morrocan style topped hummous is yummy too)

21. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Anything that shares a name with the rotting plant matter you find on rain forrest floors cannot and should not be considered a delicious evening snack and/or accompanyment to crisps :mad:

22. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

oh you'll learn, young, foolish one.

23. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

My favourite veggie sandwich is roasted aubergine, peppers and courgettes w/ rosemary and hummus in a wholemeal pitta or baguette.

24. Just made guacamole, controversially, with no lemon in. Just an avocado, natural yoghurt, shedloads of fresh coriander, quarter of a red onion and a small piece of chipped red chilli. Eaten with a carrot. Was monster.

Might make some humous next but have no tahini. Is this going to be an ishoo? Camn I use olive oil and bung in some sesame seeds instead? Will that make it all bitty?

25. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Might have to take a look at that :)

26. killer b

it's ok without tahini, but misses something - i've heard mention smooth peanut butter can be used as a substitute, but i've never tried it myself.

it does seem to be a bit coarse without the tahini too... and unless you have an amazing blender, i'd imagine sesame seeds wouldn't blend - maybe if you grind them in a pestle and mortar first?

27. well i made it with peanut butter instead of tahini and coriander, and I must say, it seems to lack something.

28. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

hummus is most lush it has to be said - but as we're comparing with guacamole - why not compare with avocado dip ?

ripe avocado, smashed with hellmanns mayo, grated cheddar cheese, lemon juice to stop it going brown and the herb of your choice*. only 888777710e9 calories per gram and deliciousness incarnate. oh and leave it for an hour in the fridge. if you can.

* coriander for me, why, which herb were you thinking of ?

29. *basil at a push

30. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

*basil would work i rekkin - but lots of people use parsley. Now parsley, being green, must have merits, but they've escaped me thus far.