Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Trump is even harder. He gets it injected directly into his brain.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pogofish #2 in the house.

8ball likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

innit, Sprocket. and Celyn like this.
  4. rich!

rich! stalin tache

We have to massively cut down on having children by the looks of that graph.

We have to regulate corporate emissions (100 companies generate 67% of all emissions)

And it would be really nice if people could live to a higher moral standard than their parents.

5. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

I think we have a thread about you.

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. 8ball

Someone has to keep this place tidy.

7. rich!

rich! stalin tache

editor and 8ball like this.
  8. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The "massively cut down on having children" thing seems like a bit of red herring - firstly because there has already been a deep and sustained drop in the fertility level in industrialised countries, leaving them at or below the population replacement level, and secondly because the time when we very urgently need to cut emissions isn't 20 years or whatever in the future, when hypothetical children would be driving hypothetical SUVs around, it's right fucking now. Having done it 10 or 20 or 30 years ago would be even better.

9. Humberto

Humberto Your world. Your life. Your debt.

We are entitled to an habitable planet, our children's grandchildren also. The mistake we are making is assuming/accepting that sanity and competence drives our governments and political systems. I'm not saying the elite/privileged are buffoons, far from it; a minority rips us off. But we have to start trusting ourselves. In other words now is the time to realise equality, now is the time to take what belongs to us. Their system is evidently failing.

innit, crossthebreeze, jusali and 3 others like this.
  10. rich!

rich! stalin tache

That's a good point, hadn't thought of that.

Hm.

Maybe the previous generation can be persuaded to retroactively have fewer children?

11. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Long haul flights and green energy supplies are above car driving on that list.

innit likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That doesn't stop private cars being massively damaging to the environment in several ways and something that we should strive to cut back on. In a big way.

innit likes this.
  13. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

Cutting down on private car use in a city is a total no-brainer (I did not miss my car at all when I went car-free living in the city and I love driving). However, until the rural transportation problems are properly sorted out*, I don't see much progress on that front out in the sticks =/

*not just frequency of service but quality of journey as well.

campanula and Dr. Furface like this.
  14. realitybites

realitybites Active Member

I seriously doubt anyone is going to change their habits... But what is happening to the Amazon rainforest right now is enough to make me turn green, it is an endless monoculture of soya beans owned by the chinese, farmed by robots, soya beans that gets shipped over to Europe to feed the cattle, to feed EU/UK meat eaters. Rainforest Trees getting chopped down fer yer meat.. soon Trump will have his grubby hands in here too, thanks to bollocksonaro

Dr. Furface and 8ball like this.
  15. 8ball

Liked the post - “endless monoculture farmed by robots” intrigued me.

Do you have any links?

16. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

Not to mention the amount of pollution created by the cargo ships and tankers we're using to move all this extraneous crap around the place.. . Dirty diesel: why ships are the worst offenders

Bit disheartening cycling my bike to work and back each day, catching a glimpse of these fucking huge ships in the harbour farting out more emissions in a nanosecond than the car does in a year :mad:

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

it's a line from the ruddy yurts' song, 'lakeside delusions'

Libertad existentialist

18. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

meat eating is going through the roof in the likes of China & the developing countries- and im not sure if the developed countries can point the finger without any responsibility for the system that we have encouraged & facilitated

19. Pickman's model

we're all fucked.

and not in a good way.

Old Gergl, crossthebreeze and sealion like this.
  20. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

And those industrial American Mega Farms ain't going anywhere!

mojo pixy and Pickman's model like this.
  21. Borp

Borp remember

Trying to work out what the optimum environmentally friendly diet would be that still includes meat and dairy to some degree. (Not ready to give them up completely)
    It's not easy working out what's best. Beef seems to be the worst culprit. But is all beef the same? What's the difference between say highland beef, and beef from s america.

Where does cheese and dairy fit into this? I've read soft cheese is better than hard. Eggs?

Fish seems to be minefield of contradictory information.

Lots of questions.

Have these two graphics that are slightly contradictory. First is US, second UK:
    Screenshot_20181011-104818.jpg

Screenshot_20181011-091656.jpg

It's all pissing in the wind of course. But there is still that utopian thought that if we all did something a change could happen.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    kazza007, yield and sealion like this.
  22. Pickman's model

farting in the wind more like

23. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Would like to see where processed vegetarian foods like veggie sausages fit on that graph. I eat very little beef or lamb, as little processed food as possible, stick to seasonal veg and watch the food miles. I'm betting there are some veggies who have environmentally less friendly diets than me.

24. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

It's a massive red herring; Roman Abromovitch having one child will fuck the planet more than a woman in a hut in Thailand having 10,000 kids.

It's ALL about consumption, which is kind of what this thread is about. But not just meat consumption, it's everything. Including cutting out eating fruit and veg that is not in season. Fucking flying shit in from Kenya, ffs.

innit, Celyn, crossthebreeze and 3 others like this.
  25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

But overpopulation is a problem too, not least because they will virtually all eat meat which increases demand, produces more methane, increases deforestation to grow the feed and raise the cattle... etc.

So massively cutting down on children is not an irrelevant issue.

Celyn likes this.
  26. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I think population is certainly a factor, there's no way it cannot be. That being said it has to be seen in the context of consumption as you say, but it shouldn't be dismissed.

27. Yuwipi Woman

Celyn likes this.
  28. Yuwipi Woman

The population issue isn't a fixed one. You have two choices regarding population that works from an environmental standpoint:

* You can have fewer children with a higher standard of living.
    * You can have more children with a lower standard of living.

The problem we have now is that we want it both ways. As with a lot of things, we need to decide what our priorities are. If we fail to make the right choices now (as we seem to be), we'll end up with a situation where we're going to have many fewer people with an abysmal standard of living. That is, of course, assuming that we will have people on the planet at all. As I said earlier, I think we're already fucked. Even putting climate change aside, we're probably fucked because we've done so many other environmentally awful things.

Streathamite and treefrog like this.
  29. 8ball

I think you mean “disposeable income” rather than “environmental”.

30. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

Most new housing developments only add to car ownership as they are all built on the edge of towns where the only space is left to develop. Families need a car to get around for everything as the new homes are all far away from the amenities. Unless you build new schools and shops and GP surgeries as well.

Near me there's load of new developments going up and they are all nowhere near schools, shops, chemists etc. One development did add a new electric car to every new house as part of the deal, but that's still going to add congestion to the place.

We're still building homes outside of the cities with private car ownership as a given.