Huge fire at Notre Dame cathedral, Paris

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by a_chap, Apr 15, 2019.

1. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Anyway thanks for elucidating, I will leave you to your fire.

2. Humberto

Humberto forsooth

You can't not feel something is lost surely? I know most people are agreeing, but they are special, ridiculously good buildings. If you like that sort of thing. :hmm:

Lupa likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Rik disagrees though a8b9156dfadbf0cffa665c8d3fe641e3.jpg

scifisam likes this.
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

To be clear, I am saddened by this fire. ND is staggeringly beautiful. Truly awesome in the manner intended, and representing the loving work of generations of people. As a 'symbol of Paris' or whatever, though. No that's not what saddens me about potentially losing a building like this.

5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

In fairness, during the Thirty Years War, the profusion of mercenaries paid by both Catholic and Protestant sides to destroy one another’s places of worship was a major factor.

agricola likes this.
  6. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

The deputy mayor of the fire says the fire started in the roof, and hinted that it was caused by restoration workers ("I don't know but there was work going on there to bring down statues last week). He was talking to CBS a couple of minutes ago.

7. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

8. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the workers wages were a few days late

9. Orang Utan

for not agreeing with your adolescent bullshit? OK

petee likes this.
  10. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

11. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Apart from Westminster Hall the Houses of Parliament are mostly a mid-Victorian. A neo-gothic replacement of the predecessor that was burnt to the ground .

Celyn and Sprocket. like this.
  12. circleline

circleline Well-Known Member

Same with the fire at the Venice Opera House, I believe; caused by workmen during restoration works.

13. Favelado

Peckham Theseus.

14. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

ok so maybe that was a bad choice of buildings

did not want to chose saint pauls as thats also a church and has been bombed before

15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I do agree that it is difficult to separate the social, cultural and political mapping onto wood, stone and steel, and for me, I hugely resent the downgrading of 'craft' over 'art'...along with matters of ownership and patronage. I have only been in the Notre Dame once before (on a school trip) but remember being profoundly moved by the sheer complexity of decoration. My dad was a skilled tradesperson and I also, do a lot of handworking in wood, fibre and cloth...and absolutely attest to the pride in excellence...but I also see that it is difficult to ignore the ultimate function of a building/object.

kebabking, muscovyduck and Sprocket. like this.
  16. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

cupid_stunt, Celyn, scifisam and 5 others like this.
  17. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

Godamit! Next venice will sink before o get there :(

Celyn likes this.
  18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Your posts on here have been more than a bit odd, tbf. Your apparent inability to appreciate the significance of ND beyond its religious function is just plain weird.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    hegley, T & P, QueenOfGoths and 4 others like this.
  19. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

did the hunch back of notre dame exist?

20. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Have to say I'm saddened by the destruction of such a beautiful, old building. It was the pinnacle of engineering, craftsmanship and beauty in it's time and for hundreds of years. I dont even think of the use of the building and I am a Catholic. My first thoughts were of a magnificent old building destroyed. A hand built beautiful building that has stood through wars, revolutions and was made famous by Napoleon and Viktor Hugo. I'm sad....not because of religion....but because it's gone.

21. Orang Utan

No.

22. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

The backdraft of Notre Dame did earlier.

nogojones, Calamity1971, Ax^ and 2 others like this.
  23. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Just had a chat with one of my best friends whose cycled down to do his Tintin boy reporter schtick: people praying; people getting beaten up for blaming "the Muslims"; but also people there for the spectacle.

The boy reporter has degrees in political science and engineering and a life long obsession with Parisian urban infrastructure. Apparently there are several subterranean levels to the Cathedral with lots of wood floors and walls. This led to an apocalyptic assesment that the integrity of the cathedral end of the Island itself including Metro and RER lines could be at risk.

24. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

muscovyduck, Calamity1971 and Lupa like this.
  25. Orang Utan

Not sure Victor Hugo was aware though. He made it all up i reckon, the dirty novelist

26. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Lupa likes this.
  27. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

28. Favelado

There are loads of UNESCO sites. The waterfront in Liverpool and some stuff in Alcalá de Henares up the road from me are too. It's not surprising Notre Dame would be.

29. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Old St Paul's was gutted in the fire of London but most of the stonework survived. Lots of Londoners wanted it restored but Wren and his contractors wangled its demolition and replacement with the current incarnation. The height of the spire of the old cathedral, which collapsed long before the fire was 150 meters. The Post Office Tower (177 meters) built in the 1960s was the first London building to exceed that.

Favelado likes this.
  30. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Less of a tragedy than the Glasgow School of Art fire. There's not really a shortage of gothic cathedrals around.

Like the GSA I expect it will be pretty well documented and the destroyed parts will be reconstructed.

TopCat likes this.