Huge fire at Notre Dame cathedral, Paris

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by a_chap, Apr 15, 2019.

1. TopCat

TopCat It's hard now...do it faster

I will state for the record that if you did that I would gather with like minds and have a few cheery drinks. That you would finish off the brave anarchist attempt generations ago to blow up/burn down that church would be fabulous.

maomao and Favelado like this.
  2. tim

tim Well-Known Member

The widespread destruction of religious buildings and religious art during the reformation and the French and subsequent revolutions suggest that people did see these buildings as symbols of clerical oppression.

maomao and mx wcfc like this.
  3. TopCat

Kissing your ring.

4. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Ah, right. I'd assumed that the collapsing spire would have taken a chunk of that out.

5. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Ah now. The HoP burning would elicit mixed emotions from me. It's quite a big lump of a building. Impressive in its way. But I could certainly live without it. More bothered about Notre Dame than either of those, personally. That's an aesthetic choice more than anything.

Celyn and campanula like this.
  6. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

One belltower did catch fire but was brought under control according to BBC.

spanglechick likes this.
  7. TopCat

Some people did. Others no doubt were more of the view to leave them up because of the nice vaulted and painted ceilings and stained glass.

8. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

During the Civil War, Parliamentary forces used Winchester Cathedral as stables for their horses. I would be comfortable with similar usefulness being found for religious buildings during, and after, the revolution, but their destruction seems a bit unnecessary.

muscovyduck likes this.
  9. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Appropriate, though, as you cannot have resurrection without death.

Sprocket. and Favelado like this.
  10. Favelado

Okay yes, but it's absolutely staggeringly beautiful. I'd mourn its beauty.

11. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

Churchbells are ringing all over France.

12. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Hey id be happy if someone went full V for Vedetta on the building

but as symbols of a city the house of parliment and the tower of london are around the same age and historical significance as Notre dame

if i was in ireland i'd of said the GPO or trinity college

13. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Notre Dame was used as a food store after the French Revolution.
    The Parliament buildings I could do without but Morris' idea for a peoples market would be OK.

mx wcfc likes this.
  14. TopCat

I would cheer the fiery demise of the Tower of London any day of the week. With the HOP my emotions would be very dependant on how it caught fire. It's symbolic but it's not hard to imagine feeling emotional about it burning if that had been started by some wanna be dictator.

Pickman's model likes this.
  15. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Perhaps, though I think its more that the people behind those movements recognized that the ties between a local community and its church were the strongest ones the Catholic church had, so had to be targetted if they were ever to get rid of them. They did after all build their own churches and cathedrals themselves, as well as taking over those which remained for their own use.

wayward bob likes this.
  16. TopCat

I visited it!

Pickman's model and tim like this.
  17. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

I'm generally in favour of appropriation and re-use rather than destruction tbh. these buildings are ours, not the church's.

18. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Well, it’s sad to me because it’s an historic monument, an iconic example of the French Gothic style, and a testament to the skill and toil of the craftspeople who built it. I’m interested in history and social history, art, architecture, culture and society. This famous monument documents all of these and more. If it is lost, then that is something I feel the loss of.

19. littlebabyjesus

tbh I give little or no shit about most of the things that are considered the symbols of London by the rest of the world. Buck Palace, for instance. Who gives a fuck about that?

Ax^ likes this.
  20. TopCat

I'm not advocating burning anything down! Simply a meh attitude when it happens to a big church. Turning churches into social centres can work.

killer b likes this.
  21. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Make an ideal homeless shelter.

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

It's not very beautiful though

clicker likes this.
  23. littlebabyjesus

Probably a bit draughty tbf. Be better repurposed as a technical college of some kind.

24. Favelado

But it's ugly. There has to be beauty there for the bond to develop.

clicker likes this.
  25. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

I don't think the Queen even gives much of a fuck for it.

26. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

I see Hopkins is doing her usual thing.

gentlegreen likes this.
  27. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

I fear there may be no resurrection in three days in this sad instance.

gentlegreen likes this.
  28. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

jesus christ she is a cunt

gentlegreen and Calamity1971 like this.
  29. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Oh FFS. A beautiful thing that lots of people loved and had happy memories about has burnt down. You don't really need to go deeper than that to wonder why people are sad.

30. TopCat

I rather like and admire most if not all Carnegie libraries if that any help. I would be deeply saddened if any caught fire.