Huge fire at Notre Dame cathedral, Paris

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by a_chap, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Do you like skyscrapers Top Cat?

2. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

the building gets no funding from the state who owns it and there had been reports that money was desperately need to stop the building from crumbling into dust,

3. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Worth a like of hope

4. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Second poster to make mention of Humanity. I am thinking Wow!

5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

It’s amazing when something touches your very fibre and affects you like this. I have no doubt that this is what spiritual experiences are. Not religious, just human.

clicker, Lupa and Calamity1971 like this.
  6. TopCat

What, when I have a choice of what buildings to put up do I prefer putting up tall ones? I have no influence on the use of land, these buildings appear or endure and I have no input whatsoever.

7. petee

petee i'm spartacus

restoration money would come first from the archdiocese coffers, which probably doesn't have enough to cover it, then from donations. i'd expect that 6-figure donations coming from wealthy individual catholics will pay for the bulk of the restoration.

the RCC is organized by dioceses, which, as a point of illustration, are the units that went bankrupt to protect against abuse settlements. they can't just stick their hands out to rome for a bailout now, or if they try they won't get anything. it's not impossible that the office of the pope will give some money to paris but even that wouldn't be enough, by the looks of it.
    Catholic dioceses and orders that filed for bankruptcy and other major settlements

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

That church and the work involved in building, maintaining and lately visiting it probably put food on the plates of more people in Paris than almost anything else has in the history of the city. The Catholic Church is a vile organization with a shameful history, but one of the very few positive legacies it has left us are those buildings, most of which were built by the local community anyway.

In fact, if you wanted one reason why the Church didn't face even more opposition than it did through the centuries then the effect those buildings had on people would probably be it. You could be appalled by the corruption, by the violence and the hypocrisy but walking into one of those cathedrals, looking down the nave and seeing the sunlight come through stained glass windows is a breathtaking sight even now.

Duncan2, maomao, cupid_stunt and 6 others like this.
  9. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

From a police drone:

notre dame.jpg

Clearly the interior has completely gone, and it looks like the firefighters are trying to save the towers. Not good :(

(Impressed that that scaffolding is still holding out)

scifisam, a_chap and spitfire like this.
  10. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

how so its over 850 years of history of a city Regardless of its religious roots

its a symbol of a city and something that has always been part of the city
    part of people daily lives even if they are not religious, a pilgrim/tourist site for people all over the world and part of the french national sense of pride

why would people not be upset

cupid_stunt, hegley, Plumdaff and 6 others like this.
  11. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

tbf you kind of make tc's argument for him in that second paragraph.

The first paragraph is questionable. They could have just paid all the workers the money and not made them work. ;)

12. Favelado

I just mean they're expressions of capitalist power and you'd probably have to hate all of them as well. I like the Chrysler Building.

13. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I am sad, Topcat, because I hate to see a thing of beauty and grace, destroyed. Regardless of it's function as a node of religious power, to me it represents the amazing skill of the builder's - a synthesis of pure engineering, light, colour - a testament to hard-earned competence and pride of thousands of stonemasons, wood carvers, painters, builders, labourers. More than the sum of it's parts.

UrbaneFox, Duncan2, maomao and 23 others like this.
  14. littlebabyjesus

Buildings like these are also monuments to a spirit (in a non-religious sense) that enables people to take part in projects that are bigger than them, to start something that they know they themselves will never see. We have little of that spirit in today's world, it seems to me.

15. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

"A water reservoir, covered with a lead roof, is located between the two towers, behind the colonnade and the gallery and in front of the nave and the pignon. It can be used to quickly extinguish a fire".

No idea if it was utilised it may even have been empty because of building work.

tim likes this.
  16. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Fuck.

I am also impressed with the scaffoldings durability but it looks to be twisting and have a hole developing in that pic. :(

17. agricola

They could have, but they wouldn't. It would have gone to the same place that it did when they stopped building cathedrals.

18. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

And for Christians it’s Holy Week.
    Extra upsetting for them.

19. agricola

isn't that where the spire would have collapsed into?

spitfire likes this.
  20. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Ah yeah! Good spot, thanks.

21. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

[​IMG]

Hours of Étienne Chevalier, Tours c. 1452-1460

22. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

That actually looks quite promising. The fire is sitting on top of the stone vaulted ceiling. No collapse of that ceiling as far as I can see. They'll probably let it burn out rather than dump water on it and risk cracking or overloading the masonry.

All the art and relics have been evacuated btw. This is a good clue that the actual interior is relatively safe.

23. TopCat

I feel a lack of sadness over this church burning down to be clear. I don't hate any buildings.

24. TopCat

Interesting.

25. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

Didn't ask, don't care.

26. Favelado

if I go and do the Sagrada Familia tomorrow night with a box of Swan Vesta and a bottles of meths, still the same? Even something of that beauty? I couldn't get a pang out of you?

27. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Would you feel sad about the Tower of london or the house of Parliament burning down TopCat

just wondering?

28. TopCat

Are you religious? is that why you are sad and angry?

29. littlebabyjesus

Scientists involved in space exploration is a comparable thing, perhaps.

TopCat likes this.
  30. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

Yes, in fact I'm the Pope, sitting here seething.

existentialist likes this.