Huge fire at Notre Dame cathedral, Paris

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by a_chap, Apr 15, 2019.

1. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

Yeah, these flats above shops, just down the road from me, were basically destroyed in an hour, but it took almost 24 hours to totally put out the fire. :(

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag never too old

This Is a very old building, they can't last forever. It's a shame If it's destroyed by fire but hey

3. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

Be dark soon. Then it'll look even worse.

4. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

That's currently surrounded with scaffy as well.

5. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Grateful for what I have.

It never ceases to astound me how often buildings that are undergoing renovation catch fire. :(

Never got round to visiting it, never will now.

6. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Same here :(.

7. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

8. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

People singing Ave Maria outside the Cathedral tonight

Calamity1971, Lupa, Sprocket. and 5 others like this.
  9. editor

editor Forked with electrons

10. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

So, is there a much greater probability of fire during restoration then? Are there more flammable liquids and things onsite?

11. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I remember standing to watch an old mill at the end of our street burn down. It was a violent fire*, and the noise of floors and walls collapsing underscored that. It's a primal response.

* heavy wooden floors soaked in at least 100 years of oils and grease turbocharged it - the building didn't stand a chance. :(

Calamity1971 and a_chap like this.
  12. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Don’t Bother, They’re Here.....

I remember York Minster and the appeal for the restoration, especially the Rose window.
    Windsor Castle too.
    I agree these treasures should be looked after and restored. But I fear the money will not be readily available.

13. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

When the fire is out there won't be much more left of it than there is of Cov Cathedral.That's really very sad.

a_chap likes this.
  14. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Guess so. The Cutty Sark had two major fires during restoration iirc. flammable liquids, temporary electrics, cutting equipment overheating?

Celyn, tim, SpookyFrank and 2 others like this.
  15. mx wcfc

Workman having a crafty fag?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  16. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Lots of lead workers using blowtorchs plus the usual building site risks.Hope public liability policies are up to date.

17. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

The roofing contractor doing next-door's roof told be just the other day that cowboys doing flat-roofs have often ended-up setting places on fire.

18. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

You would like to think that after the building has stood for eight hundred and fifty years and apparently seen the coronations of inter alia Henry V and Napoleon that there would have been no cowboys involved.
    (don't know the French word for cowboy)

19. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Most public liability insurance policies for this type of work have heat warranties on them and if you don't follow them, the insurance is void.

This happened to my uncle and he had a claim for hundreds of thousands against him, with no insurance cover. He had to go bankrupt.

20. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

cowboy, as in:

tim and Duncan2 like this.
  21. mx wcfc

One would hope that the authorities wouldn't let cowboys get involved in Notre Dame though. Mind you, in these days of contracting out to the lowest bidder....

22. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

yep, everyone's a cowboy now.

mx wcfc likes this.
  23. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Don’t Bother, They’re Here.....

Electricians, it’s always electricians.
    Not welders. This was the second lesson I learned on the first day of my apprenticeship.

24. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I visited Paris at the end of the 90s, a friend was living there....he wasnt fussed with sight seeing as he lived there, so in between spending time with him i wandered about on my own....im not really into cities and sight seeing, but stepped in to Notre Dame kind of reluctantly...
    ...and walked in to the middle of an organ recital, playing the darkest possible tunes you could imagine , and loud, booming and bassy as fuck, teh whole church was shaking with the sound - i was in total awe at it, and the whole church as a result. Fond memory and unforgettable moment and to this day i sometimes go to an organ recital (St Pauls mainly) to try and catch that thrill....
    Sad news for sure

25. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

The Catholic church is minted though surely so shouldn't be a problem finding the money to rebuild?

26. spitfire

spitfire Toast

This is horrible, what a shit thing to happen.

I have worked in Paris on big building sites. They do not do h&s like we do in the UK, the smell of cigarettes was ever present, welders and steel cutters (all hot works) are very badly policed. This was under the umbrella of a big UK construction management company who would never allow any of this in the UK, the site would be closed down. They had basically given up.

Hopefully there was more care taken on this site than where I was.

27. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

why is it sad?

28. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Hopefully he was talking out of emotion/ fear rather than relying information from experts, but the spokesman for Notre Dame has just said there is a good chance the entire building might have collapsed by tomorrow :(

Obviously not an expert myself but I'd be surprised. Even Coventry Cathedral managed to keep its outer walls standing.

Duncan2 likes this.
  29. spitfire

spitfire Toast

This is an interesting read on the difficulties of fighting a fire in an old building like this.

cupid_stunt, a_chap and Favelado like this.