Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge fire at Notre Dame cathedral, Paris

extra dry

Happy to be here
He or it can rebuild it the church also, too, I read it the StonedCutter and Andriods. Blackholes of stella 8.

Macron recones think it will take a mere 5 years to repair, has he tried DIY?, so just in time for the Olymipics Paris 2024.

Hopefully the yellow vests will have stopped by then, or perhaps will there even by a Europe?

John Orbson

Banned
Banned
I thought arson was ruled out very early on...and that they said it was down to the building work that was going on in the roof...?
I know it was said that arson is ruled out. But, some people find it hard to believe that by accident fire started. I mean this is one of the most expensive buildings. It had to have one of the strongest anti-fire protection systems, right?

petee

i'm spartacus
right, I'll bite again.

I know it was said that arson is ruled out. But, some people find it hard to believe that by accident fire started. I mean this is one of the most expensive buildings. It had to have one of the strongest anti-fire protection systems, right?
"some people"? which people? you?
it is not "one of the most expensive buildings" and didn't "have to have" "one of the strongest" anythings.

Last edited:

Sprocket.

There’s comfort in melancholy.....
The building that's most recently provoked a real sense of awe in me is when I got a chance to go inside Drax power station. That's also now 'old' technology, but seeing the scale of it, thinking about the significance of what happens inside it, and all the work of so many people who made it possible, I found quite deeply moving, more so than I've felt in any cathedral. In fact I felt like I almost had a 'religious moment' but I'll stop there.
That’s nice to hear about Drax. One of my brother in laws was the electrical site foreman on both Drax stations amongst many other huge projects. Sadly he died early last year aged eighty. He was always proud of all his jobs. From Drax to Pinderfields Hospital and St James Hospital.
Craftsmen evolve as the job progresses, but pride is always there.
No faith in anything other than their own and their colleagues abilities.

Humberto

If the Son makes you free, ye shall be free indeed
Probably raised more than they needed because people want to show off, and believe doing good is superficial (for show).

ginger_syn

Insanity laughs under pressure...👾
Really? Then why was more than a billion dollars donations collected for the purpose of rebuilding Notre Dame building? You see how expensive this really becomes.
Skilled craftspeople who can restore the building are very expensive to hire. Plus its very good pr for the donors.

Lurdan

old wave
Burn the rst of it down, build a kids playground and be done.
I know kids can be rather annoying but that seems a bit of an extreme solution.

May 9th 2019 :
The Paris police statement on Thursday said that on the surface of pavements and gardens immediately adjoining the cathedral, lead levels were found to be very high: between 32 and 65 times the recommended limit by French health authorities.
Shortly after the fire, the Paris police advised locals to clean surfaces with a damp cloth and pregnant women and children to wash hands frequently.
Thank goodness however things weren't really all that bad
Since the fire, the police have maintained that the threat from lead was limited, saying lead poisoning usually builds up over years of exposure. There have been no reports of acute lead poisoning since the blaze that destroyed the roof of the 850-year-old landmark.
But then yesterday :

Paris closes two schools over Notre-Dame lead fears - France 24

City hall closed the nursery and primary school -- which were hosting a holiday club for 180 children in Paris's 6th district -- "as a precautionary measure" after tests revealed high levels of lead in the playground, a spokesperson for city hall told AFP.
City hall ordered a "deep clean" at schools near Notre-Dame last week, with walls and furniture to be wiped and playgrounds hosed down over the summer holidays.
Paris health official Arnaud Gauthier said the clean was "to reassure us that the risk is minimal", although Deputy Paris Mayor Emmanuel Gregoire insisted it was normal procedure and nothing to do with the fire or lead contamination.
phew that's all right then.