Huge fire at Notre Dame cathedral, Paris

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by a_chap, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Interior surprisingly OK, though I believe organ is fucked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

Organs can be replaced. Maybe someone will donate one #hereallweek

3. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

Another billionaire, Bernard Arnault, has now pledged 200 million euros.

4. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

I don't know why but my immediate reaction to this is not sympathy. Notre Dame is a beautiful building no doubt. But it is still a church. At one time it was almost pulled down by the people of Paris.

That a billionaire can cough up 100 million to restore it makes me feel even less sympathy. Thats 100 million that could have been spent improving life in the banlieues, but it wasn't accessible for that. Why not make them as beautiful, or at least liveble. Or working on the multitude of problems that France faces.

I feel like it is the media reaction that rubs me up the wrong way. It is just so unanimous, which it is going to be.

It's obviously going to be rebuilt. This will be Macrons Grande Projet, maybe this will be the impetus for another recreation of Paris, but not by its people.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but there have been a spate of church desacrations recently:

Vandalism at hundreds of French churches

5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

This is always a pretty sterile comparison to make. “Why not spend the money on a better cause?” Firstly, everyone would have to agree on what the better causes are. Then you’ve got a problem with extent. If a billionaire should spend his money on poor people rather than rebuilding Notre Dame then surely you and I should give our money to homeless people rather than spend it on beer or holidays, and if everyone prioritised human suffering, animal charities would receive no donations.

dessiato and Lupa like this.
  6. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

How is it possible that the interior looks that lightly damaged? Doesn't fit with this pic, something doesn't add up for me :confused:

[​IMG]

7. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Am I missing something here; has the Church of Rome said that it won't pay for the re-build?

8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Radio 4 somewhat unbearable this morning. Almost as bad as when Princess Diana died.

cantsin and Spymaster like this.
  9. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

And does the insurance cover acts of God?

10. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Because what's burning is above the vaulted stone roof.

11. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

That's an aerial view. The roof is undoubtedly gone. The fire rose upwards as opposed to moving down into the building.

12. Dillinger4

Dillinger4 Es gibt Zeit

Isn't charity the teaching of Christ? I don't think Jesus wanted any churches at all.

13. brogdale

Nah, not an Act of God; merely a consequence of "his" permissive will.

SpookyFrank and Yossarian like this.
  14. cupid_stunt

From my understanding the upper/outer wooden roof is gone, but the inner stone ceiling has largely survived, preventing worst damage lower down.

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That’s neither here nor there. If they said they you’d just have people saying that money should go elsewhere. It’s about the relative merits of the causes rather than where the money comes from.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Well that’s one to take up with the various religions.

17. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

"Church"....really means the people.
    The fact that someone put a roof over the church heads is another matter.
    And yes....the message of Jesus was that of charity and do unto others as you would have done unto you. The message has been somewhat lost.... and clad in manmade ritual and pomp....but for true believers the message is still a life long commitment.

18. brogdale

Probably both 'here' & 'there' if there's any question of public money being spent on repairing a building owned by a private, religious corporation well itself able to pay.

muscovyduck and campanula like this.
  19. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I am just waiting for the next tomato..

I’m sure if Westminster Abbey burnt down the Queen would stump up the repair costs as head of the CoE.

20. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

This is what happens when priests sodomise choirboys

21. cupid_stunt

It's owned by the French state.

Sprocket. likes this.
  22. Sprocket.

A wooden roof burns much better and more ferociously than a solid three metre deep stone one I surmise.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    a_chap, kebabking and Lupa like this.
  23. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Ftfy

Sprocket. likes this.
  24. spitfire

spitfire Toast

As teuchter says, pic that shows it here:
    [​IMG]

25. brogdale

Indeed it does, but for many years the state has declined to finance repair, hence the 'Friends of ND' attempting to raise the £ from public/donors. Raises question of why the Church of Rome would not want to use a relatively small sum from its vast wealth to finance the upkeep of a building exclusively used to promote its particular supernatural belief system.

PursuedByBears and Dillinger4 like this.
  26. Sprocket.

Or when French roofing contractors leave a bitumen boiler unattended whilst having a standard three hour lunch break.

27. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

sounds great.

Flavour, cantsin, Sweet FA and 6 others like this.
  28. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

French culture definitely has the right idea about a lot of things, and that’s one of them.

29. Sprocket.

30. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Roof fires like this are the reason for stone vaulted ceilings in the first place.