Huge billboard goes up on Coldharbour Lane without planning permission and car wash shenanigans

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 11, 2011.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

There appears to be a hefty billboard being constructed on Coldharbour Lane outside the Barrier Block, but there hasn't been any of the usual planning notices pinned up anywhere.

Don't they need to do that first?

They may as well affix a 'Gentleman's Toilet' sign to it too because that's exactly what it's going to be used for for the day drinkers/betting shop/My Fathers Place clientèle.
    :facepalm:

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I think you do need planning permission. Might check it up if have time.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

At the moment it's still a rather peculiar random selection of steel girders at rather unusual angles, but the workman said that it was going to be a billboard.

They got rid of the last one because people were using the space under it for nefarious activity/toilet and this looks in an even more stupid location.

4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I'd call the council. They put a massive one up above Iceland a few years back which I think was taken down due to a lack of planning permission. It certainly was put on the advertising version of the naughty step for some reason!

5. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Lambeth Council got done for this kind of thing a few years ago....they stuck a big dot matrix display board on the side of the Town Hall.....
    a) No planning permish
    b) Listed building

6. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Ah, Lambeth Council. They're really quite special aren't they?

7. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

8. Voley

Voley Ramoner

I'm wondering if that dot matrix thingy that fell foul of the planning laws was on the very building that housed the planning department. That'd be Lambeth's style.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

10. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

My old flatmates actually got off the sofa and donned the hiviz jackets and done this yesterday lunchtime:

[​IMG]

Simple, silly, but made me laugh. It's at top of Brixton Hill.

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I almost want it to be an advert for Starbucks to see the reaction

12. editor

editor hiraethified

[​IMG]

13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Calmer than I expected :D

14. editor

editor hiraethified

It's 100% planning permission free.

15. longdog

longdog What is it you can't face?

I used to work in outdoor advertising and it was standard procedure to erect hoardings without planning permission. The thinking behind it was that if there were objections the company would apply for permission, appeal the almost inevitable refusal and wait until the very last minute before complying with the enforcement notice and removing the hoarding for reuse elsewhere (most of the hoarding is reusable and as you will have seen they're quite quick to erect). By dragging their heels as much as possible they could probably get a year of 'sales' out of the site and a 48 sheet hoarding in a good location is quite lucrative.

What caused us the most problems was vandalism. There's a good chance the advertising agency that books the site will inspect the site every so often and if the advert has been subverted or just plain vandalised the owner of the hoarding has two choices... Re-post the advert or forego that month's fee. Either way costs them money.

Not that I'm suggesting you get out there with the paint and 4" brush of course ;)

16. editor

editor hiraethified

This is the size of the beast:

[​IMG]

In my world, illegal billboards would immediately become the property of the community who could choose to either demolish it or deface it as they chose, just for the lolz.

Chemical needs likes this.
  17. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

You don't even need a ladder to criminally damage that one.

What's the betting it gets an advert for the Samaritans or something.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

It won't be a lot of fun for the people living directly opposite to have that billboard in their face 24/7.

19. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

I hope it's for The Guardian lol. or some smartphone stuff. Lol.

20. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

How hard are they to pull down?

21. editor

editor hiraethified

Why's that funny?

22. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Because it would show you and all your Brixton friends up as liberals. Why else?

Poot likes this.
  23. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't care what's on the billboard. I just want shot of the fucking ugly, intrusive thing.

24. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Perhaps it's going to publicise that new Spearmint Rhino coming to Brixton!

25. TruXta

TruXta tired

Fap fap fap. Take your one-man circle-jerk elsewhere please with sugar on top?

26. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

My guess is a happy-clappy Christian Ministry offering miracles, healing and deliverance. :cool:

27. editor

editor hiraethified

Your weak, unfunny, Grade Z trolling is making you look like a tired, flabby, out of shape boxer who should have retired for good years ago.

A condition of you returning here was that you'd stop trolling and contribute something meaningful, but all we're getting is the same waaaaay-past-its-sell-by-date tosh about beans, racist and liberals and all the other stuff that no one else gives a fuck about any more.

I've actually bothered to defend you against the mods who wanted you kicked off ages ago but even I have my limits.

So here's how it's going to be. From now on, you keep out of the Brixton forum and if you start up any more of your painfully outdated and pointlessly disruptive antics on any other forum, then I'm afraid your time here is permanently over.

If you wish to discuss any aspect of this post, take it to the feedback forum. Any further posts in the Brixton forum will result in a ban.

28. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

You could ask this guy from the top of Brixton Hill to make a contribution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chess likes this.
  29. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Yup, posted that earlier, my old flatmates :)

30. quimcunx

quimcunx protestant traybake

Don't get it.