Huawei surpasses Microsoft to become the third largest handset vendor in the world

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Jul 30, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're taking over!

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

what's the difference between a smartphone and a feature phone?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's not such an easy thing to distinguish these days but it could be described as a supercheap phone running a homebrew OS. But even that's not too accurate.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

5. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

My dongle is huawei. Don't suppose dongle sales have leapt in the last quarter :hmm:

6. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I was surprised to see the size and variety of models in the Huawei range on sale in Berlin this year - much more than I've yet seen in the UK.

That and the prominence of their promotion suggested they could well become a much bigger force in the market than we have seen so-far.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just substitute 'kiss' with 'dongle'.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Verge are raving about the new P9 and the reviewer prefers it to his iPhone and S7:

[​IMG]

Huawei P9 review: good design outshines dual cameras

Badgers likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Badgers likes this.
  10. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

When my samsung died, i ended up going for their P10 Lite and ive been very impressed, its a great phone :)

Badgers likes this.
  11. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

I'd be tempted by these phones - but not with the software, pure android yes, emui no.

12. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Fuck Huawei, I want that $1000 phone! (not)

13. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

EMUI 5 is, while not stock Android (because no-one but Google has that any more), actually pretty good. I will concede that EMUI before version 5 was a nightmare.

It's all fairly irrelevant anyhow. You can swap out 90% of the OS for Google or 3rd party apps. Pop on the launcher and a couple of other things and it's fairly stock.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Most of that will have come from China, where consumers are now shunning Samsung and Apple for local vendors.

A US ban by the Government won't help them with US sales due to how they implement Android. GCHQ has their eye on them too, so wouldn't be surprised if they get banned on providing Government/Military handsets here too.

I know some Huawei devices don't play well with things like Android Auto, and recently VLC banned their app from being allowed to install on Huawei devices due to the aggressive management of the system breaking the app.

So, there's those issues...

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But to most people, they're getting a top notch handset that does all they want for a fraction of the big name flagships. In fact, some of their handsets are even better in some areas.

17. cybershot

No doubt, mileage would vary, but for me Android Auto and VLC not working would be a no go, and if US Govt and GCHQ are investigating them, another reason I'd probably make a more educated choice. If that doesn't bother someone, then go for it. I'm for selling myself for free products, but not for a non fully functional aggressively managed custom Android OS.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  18. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

They're a running joke in some comments on Chinese social media for whatever that's worth (not much), seen as crappy but in the usual tedious Apple/Microsoft fanboy war way.

19. cybershot

20. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Really? I'm glad I'm not going nuts. Spent an unproductive 15 mins trying to get VLC to work when the screen was of on my OHs Honor the other night.

21. cybershot

22. UnderAnOpenSky

23. cybershot

Sounds exactly like the symptoms in the report. Something to do with how the vendor is force closing all apps that are not their own, once the phone is locked.

24. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

On Android the system can kill off all apps arbitrarily, which it does regularly to apps not on active display, in order to preserve resources. Manufacturers are free-ish to decide how to go about that. However as a developer you can mark certain services as 'foreground', with certain obligations like showing a non-dismissable notification. This ought to keep it alive longer, and this is what's normally done for media playback and so on. It sounds like Huawei have mis-designed their resource management so it doesn't respect this. I looked briefly at the VLC source code and they're doing what I expect.

25. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

To be honest, YouTube used to do that on my Nexus 5. I thought it was normal that video-playing apps stopped sound when the screen was off.
    Who wants to use VLC to listen to music?

Anyhow, on my Honor 8 I disabled the app killing globally and then re-introduced the ones that I know are bastard power-suckers when the screen is off.

26. cybershot

I think Google specifically program YouTube to do it, it has the same behaviour on iPhone, after all it's a video platform, not a music platform.

VLC is my go to music playing app for long music files, such as 2+ hour long mixes, as it does a good job of remembering where you left off even when you change to something else within VLC or reboot the phone. Not found another player at least on iOS that can manage this.

27. Humirax

Humirax Guest

My new tablet is Huawei. I've heard they do a wide range of quality electronics for good prices even including internet routers.

28. UnderAnOpenSky

Yeah, use VLC for podcasts, mostly for this.

Fez909 likes this.
  29. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

[​IMG]

30. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

They're also a giant company who have been producing enterprise and carrier grade equipment for a long time.